DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Fixed Hi-Hat vs Moving Hi-Hat

I've been thinking about buying an electronic kit. I've noticed that one of the factors that influences the price of a kit is the type of hi-hat it has, which can either be fixed or moving. I was wondering how much this influences the feel of the kit.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Fixed Hi-Hat vs Moving Hi-Hat

It will feel like an electronic kit no matter what. The main advantage of the moving hat (for me) was that I could use a proper hihat stand instead of relying on the KD-7 hihat controller. The hihat itself... well, it still feels like a rubber pad no matter if it moves or not.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
It will feel like an electronic kit no matter what. The main advantage of the moving hat (for me) was that I could use a proper hihat stand instead of relying on the KD-7 hihat controller. The hihat itself... well, it still feels like a rubber pad no matter if it moves or not.
Thanks for the tip. How does the foot pedal response compare?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

The mid-to-higher end modules (ones that use real hihat stands) that are being produced now have a more realistic action to the hihat as far as sound goes…what I mean by that is if you slowly open the hat while playing, you should get a gradual sound shift (from closed to open - like a real HH responds)..also, when closed if you press down firmly on the pedal, you will get a pitch change, just like a real hihat sounds when you do the same thing…you'll never get the same feeling from different materials, but with the latest modules you can get some of the same replications of sound..hope this helps you...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
The mid-to-higher end modules (ones that use real hihat stands) that are being produced now have a more realistic action to the hihat as far as sound goes…what I mean by that is if you slowly open the hat while playing, you should get a gradual sound shift (from closed to open - like a real HH responds)..also, when closed if you press down firmly on the pedal, you will get a pitch change, just like a real hihat sounds when you do the same thing…you'll never get the same feeling from different materials, but with the latest modules you can get some of the same replications of sound..hope this helps you...
Thanks Scorch. I decided to buy a Roland TD9 KX2. It's about the highest I can buy without breaking the bank. Can't wait for it to arrive....