DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 AM

Default Remo Ambassadors for drums, except bass drum

Hello guys,

I'm on a serious drum shopping mode ATM, and this mode brought me to here: Suggestions from you about Remo Ambassadors. I'm gonna get these for my drums, except the bass drum which will be Remo Emperor, because I can't find any Ambassador at 22".

Is this a good choice for drum heads? If not, what is better?

Forgot to mention that all drum heads are coated!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Remo Ambassadors for drums, except bass drum

These are the standard. Remo Ambassadors and Emperors were the first non calf skin heads so every other non calf skin head can trace it's lineage directly back to them. I prefer coated Emperors or Vintage Emperors myself but I wouldnt hesitate to put a coated ambassador on my drums. Of course depending on your desired sound you may find that they dont work for you and you'll go for something a bit more specialized.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

Tried, tested and approved for 50 odd years now. An extremely common head choice.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

I've been doing Ambassadors over Ambassador (coated over clear) for about 6 months now I love it. Before I was running coated Emps over coated Ambs as an experiment (previously used clear Ambs for resos), but didn't care for the slight extra bit of muting that coated resos provide.

Either way, you can't go wrong with Ambassadors top and bottom - unless you don't like it for some reason.

I can't say much about kick drum heads. I've never used Emperors there, but Bonham did, so can't be bad, right? Bass drum heads are too expensive for me to do much experimentation, though I have tried Evans EQ4s and EMADs but didn't care for them. At least, I didn't like them as much as I like an good ole Remo PS3 (single ply) batter with a clear Ambassador reso.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

Love the Ambassador sound. I also love the Emperor sound too, but I think the Ambassador sound is a little more 'pure' (totally subjective here ).

A you sure you can't find a Powerstroke 3 for your bass drum? That's basically an Ambassador head with the edge ring, those sound great.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Love the Ambassador sound. I also love the Emperor sound too, but I think the Ambassador sound is a little more 'pure' (totally subjective here ).

A you sure you can't find a Powerstroke 3 for your bass drum? That's basically an Ambassador head with the edge ring, those sound great.
I would second the suggestion of a PS3 for the kick, great head for bass drums!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Silver Member

What everybody said, man. It's a classic combo.

I used Emperors over Ambassadors forever and now I got a new kit with coated Ambassadors as batters and I'm lovin' it !! So open and resonant, a joy to play.

Cheers!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:04 AM
audiotech

I'm using coated Ambassadors over coated Ambassadors for the toms of my DW Classic series kit and they sound phenomenal. I'm also using a Remo PS3 coated batter head on the bass drum. If you try these, I hope you have better success with their coatings than many of us had. Personally I still like the sound of Remo heads better than what some of Evans equivalent heads can produce..

Dennis
Old 08-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the answers everyone, totally helpful. Yes, I can get REMO Powerstroke 3, but I didn't know it's better than the Emperor - thanks for telling :).

Just one beginner question, sorry if it's a stupid one: What do you mean when you say "I'm using coated Ambassador over coated Emperor" (or similar statements) ?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageadm View Post
What do you mean when you say "I'm using coated Ambassador over coated Emperor" (or similar statements) ?
I think "over" means the relation of position of head-to-drum. Batter over Resonant. [guessing]
Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Ambassadors are an industry standard, however; recently Remo's quality on their coated Ambassador has declined. The coating wears off very quickly (there's threads about this).

I would personally go for the Vintage Ambassador myself (called Vintage A) - they are open and warmer sounding, they work great for snare and I'm sure they'll work great for toms. The coating seems to be different on those because they don't wear off quickly.

Check out the Vintage A's.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMySavior View Post
Ambassadors are an industry standard, however; recently Remo's quality on their coated Ambassador has declined. The coating wears off very quickly (there's threads about this).

I would personally go for the Vintage Ambassador myself (called Vintage A) - they are open and warmer sounding, they work great for snare and I'm sure they'll work great for toms. The coating seems to be different on those because they don't wear off quickly.

Check out the Vintage A's.
Like these ones?
http://www.amazon.de/Remo-Vintage-A-...5565533&sr=8-9
http://www.amazon.de/Remo-Vintage-A-...565533&sr=8-12
http://www.amazon.de/Remo-Vintage-A-...565533&sr=8-10

I need confirmation on the quality of these ones. Are they really better than the current standard Ambassadors? I need to make sure before making a final decision.

Thanks again, everyone.

EDIT:

I also have no problem going for Evans G1 (saw it was highly recommend in other threads) if they are better. Just tell me what's the best and I'll go for it. It's the first time I'm getting new drum heads and I have no prior experience with different drum head sounds.

Last edited by ageadm; 08-21-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM

Try the Aquarian texture coated. Its there ambassador-g1 head. Coating lasts longer than the other two. Wonderful heads.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Putting ambassadors on your drums can't go wrong. It has been the most common head for like 50 years.

Emperors produce a fatter sound, while the Ambassadors sound a little brighter and have longer sustain. It all boils down to what sound you're after, but you can't go wrong with the Ambassadors, no matter how you tune them (high or low).

Good luck!

EDIT: There are some guys here on Drummerworld who've had problems with the white coating on the Ambassadors. However I've never experienced any coating chipping or any unusual wear, so it's definately not a universal problem. Though you might wanna read this thread: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ted+ambassador

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
EDIT: There are some guys here on Drummerworld who've had problems with the white coating on the Ambassadors. However I've never experienced any coating chipping or any unusual wear, so it's definately not a universal problem. Though you might wanna read this thread: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ted+ambassador
Based on this topic, it looks like I'm gonna get Evans instead of Remo. I wouldn't like the coating to wear of after such short periods. I want some long lasting drum heads so I don't have to worry about them every month

Are Evans G1 any good? Or the G2s are better? I'd like to go for Ambassador as they seem to be the most common drum heads though, they earned that reputation somehow, I guess :\
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
Try the Aquarian texture coated. Its there ambassador-g1 head. Coating lasts longer than the other two. Wonderful heads.
I agree, plus not just the coating lasts longer, the heads lasts much longer as well and they cost less which is a bonus.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 PM

Aquarian texture coated drum heads seem to be more expensive at amazon, comparing to remo and evans:
http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...texture+coated
Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

I've tried a lot of combo's, and brands, but, I love the sound and feel (along with the action) of CA's over all else I have tried (it's been a lot). They sound different that Evans, Aquarian and Attack's offerings.

I use Coated Ambassadors Top and Bottom of toms, along with front and Batter on the bass drum. This has been the exclusive combo for about 5 years now. I more or less just stopped using different heads because the CA's give me exactly what I want, and they last a good long time for me too.

I mainly use a Coated Emperor with a Top Dot on the snare.

The "coating issue" threads have popped up a few times, and I've found it strange, and more than a little interesting TBH.

I've never had any coating issues on any Remo heads ever.
Not in 35+ years.

The shop gets their heads from a couple distributors that tons of other shops get heads from, so it's not like they get "better" heads or anything. Maybe the coating coming off has to do with how people strike the heads (regardless of skill level)??

It's just seemed really odd that the (maybe) 8-10 players here (who have had coating coming off), had it happen within minutes to half an hour of playing a new head. It does happen, we've seen the pics, but it's never happened to me, thankfully, no matter how long the heads are used (some have been up to years old).

There have been a couple issues with other brands too, so my point is, I wouldn't be "afraid" to get Remo heads because (out of thousands or millions of users) a few people posting on this (or other) forum have had issues.

If you have questions or doubts in deciding after more people chime in, try a couple different heads on one drum first, that way it's not a huge investment.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I've tried a lot of combo's, and brands, but, I love the sound and feel (along with the action) of CA's over all else I have tried (it's been a lot). They sound different that Evans, Aquarian and Attack's offerings.

I use Coated Ambassadors Top and Bottom of toms, along with front and Batter on the bass drum. This has been the exclusive combo for about 5 years now. I more or less just stopped using different heads because the CA's give me exactly what I want, and they last a good long time for me too.

I mainly use a Coated Emperor with a Top Dot on the snare.

The "coating issue" threads have popped up a few times, and I've found it strange, and more than a little interesting TBH.

I've never had any coating issues on any Remo heads ever.
Not in 35+ years.

The shop gets their heads from a couple distributors that tons of other shops get heads from, so it's not like they get "better" heads or anything. Maybe the coating coming off has to do with how people strike the heads (regardless of skill level)??

It's just seemed really odd that the (maybe) 8-10 players here (who have had coating coming off), had it happen within minutes to half an hour of playing a new head. It does happen, we've seen the pics, but it's never happened to me, thankfully, no matter how long the heads are used (some have been up to years old).

There have been a couple issues with other brands too, so my point is, I wouldn't be "afraid" to get Remo heads because (out of thousands or millions of users) a few people posting on this (or other) forum have had issues.

If you have questions or doubts in deciding after more people chime in, try a couple different heads on one drum first, that way it's not a huge investment.
Hey Karl,

So what is your muffling technique for using CA's front and back on the bass drum? I'v ebeen using PS3's and EQ4's for years now and maybe it's time to go back to where I started. But when I started, I simply put a pillow in it back then. Felt strips? Muff'l ring (if they even still make those)?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I agree, plus not just the coating lasts longer, the heads lasts much longer as well and they cost less which is a bonus.
Tard greed with The Edge, but I've had the opposite with Aquarian.

I used them for quite a while about 15 years ago, then they changed to their current film, and that film dented to crap for me in minutes.
No change in my tuning, or drum angles, or sticks, the film they went to just did not work for me at all--which was a HUGE bummer for me. I really dug their single ply Texture Coated heads, but I had to go back to Remo.
I liked Roy Burns a lot when I met him (we had a nice 2 hr conversation), and I wanted to support his company, so I was bummed big time when the new film just didn't work for me.

Before the film change, Aquarian's Tex coated sounded pretty much just like a Coated Ambassador (it might have even been the same film). So did Evans' UNO58's before they discontinued them.

Attack's Terry Bozzio heads use the traditional Dupont Mylar.

They didn't work for me, but the Aquarian's work great for these guy's (and others), so maybe try one or two heads for yourself and see.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Are Evans G1 any good? Or the G2s are better? I'd like to go for Ambassador as they seem to be the most common drum heads though, they earned that reputation somehow, I guess :\
Keep in mind though, that there are a lot of guys (me, for example) who have used the Coated Ambassadors for over 10 years and never had an issue with them.

Evans makes great heads too. The Evans G1 are their counterpart to the Ambassadors.
Evans G2 are the Emperors. Evans also have the G Plus and G14 heads, that are single ply but a little thicker than the usual G1/Ambassador, and therefore resonate more and can be played louder.

www.evansdrumheads.com is a great website, so is www.remo.com .

Cheers!

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
Old 08-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Hey Karl,

So what is your muffling technique for using CA's front and back on the bass drum? I'v ebeen using PS3's and EQ4's for years now and maybe it's time to go back to where I started. But when I started, I simply put a pillow in it back then. Felt strips? Muff'l ring (if they even still make those)?
I've used one of these home made mufflers for several years now. Once sold (maybe still is?) as a "Tone Bone" or something, that looked like a dog bone, but I was doing this about 4-5 years before that came out (and mine was made for free :-) ).

Nothing else to muffle the batter, and that's my beater patch in the second pic.
No "click" sound, and it pretty much sounds like having no patch at all, since it's a piece of Coated Ambassador.

NO issues. None. No lag, weird feel, double bounce, loss of action/articulation, or anything else anyone could think of, either with the muffle being between the head and post of the pedal, or the patch being taped on the head.

It's all easy, and FREE. The patch gives that "new head feel" when I change it (also doesn't screw up the head trying to get a glued on patch off), and heads have lasted easily 6-7 years with no tone lost.
I have the same BD head on the Red Sparkle kit that I put on when the drum was new in '07 (pic 2, still sounds great)!

Inside, I have that small 1" thick piece of Polyfoam at the bottom of the shell to soak up any sound bounce (we talked about that before). It doesn't touch the front head, unless I want more thump on a whim.
I NEVER use anything bigger than 4" mic hole ('cause it's icky haha!), and sometimes no hole on the 16 and 18" depth bass drums.

I've never had any sound/FOH person in any venue not get a great sound easily from any of my bass drums (16X26,18X26 or 20X26).

Sorry for the blog on your thread ageadm... but, maybe you can use some of this youreself anyway :-)
Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 PM

I also forgot to mention that I'm into alternative rock, indie rock, metalcore, grindcore and deathmetal. I want the drum heads to have a fitting sound for all these genres in general. There is not drum head with all those specifications I guess, but the lighter tone of the Ambassadors (as told in the first page) should fit all these genres.
I need someone to validate my sentence lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I also forgot to mention that I'm into alternative rock, indie rock, metalcore, grindcore and deathmetal. I want the drum heads to have a fitting sound for all these genres in general. There is not drum head with all those specifications I guess, but the lighter tone of the Ambassadors (as told in the first page) should fit all these genres.
I need someone to validate my sentence lol.
If you're a hard hitter, you could glance at the more durable Evans G Plus, Evans G14, and Remo Coated Ambassador X. They are all single ply, but a little thicker than the standard Ambassador, so you'll get a little more durability out of them.

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
Old 08-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

I recently got some 80s Slingerland Spirit 1000 drums, which are much like 80s Pearl Exports. On the toms I put coated Evans G14 on top and coated G1 on the bottoms, and they sound quite good. I have always liked single-ply batter heads, but I dented them up too quickly. I hope this thicker head lasts longer. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
If you're a hard hitter, you could glance at the more durable Evans G Plus, Evans G14, and Remo Coated Ambassador X. They are all single ply, but a little thicker than the standard Ambassador, so you'll get a little more durability out of them.
Thanks. I think I''ll go for Remo Ambassador X Coated because of its thickness and yes, I'm a hard hitter. There isn't such a thing like "specific snare drum head" or there is?
I see no reason to struggle with this decision anymore, if it works out then fine, if not I'll stick to these heads for a while and get new ones asap.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just tell me what's the best and I'll go for it.
When you find the one that's definitively the "best".....be sure to come back and let us all know. May settle this pesky argument once and for all and we'll all go for it.

So far in this thread, I've read at least three "bests".....that can't be right, so which one is it? :-)
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Based on this topic, it looks like I'm gonna get Evans instead of Remo. I wouldn't like the coating to wear of after such short periods. I want some long lasting drum heads so I don't have to worry about them every month

Lots of decisions out there to choose from, but I will tell you this, my friend - both companies make great heads. However I have never tried an Evans head I didn't like. I can say that there are some that I like less than others, but Evans has never produced a head that I couldn't find a comfortable sound out of. And there are a lot of Evans heads that I am stoked about.

Remo's I can't say the same about unfortunately. I love their Vintage A's, their Vintage Emperors, and now their Fiberskyn Ambassador, but I absolutely hate their Pinstripes and their Powerstroke 3 snare/tom heads. Just disgusting to me. Aquarian for me has made a lot of heads that I am so-so with. I have never been infatuated by any of their heads, but none of them have been completely terrible either. Very average and I would only use in a pinch. Others swear by them and Roy is a great guy to deal with (the owner).

If it were up to me, and I were right there beside you, I would lean heavily towards the REMO Vintage A's or Emperors (for extra durability), and a set of moon gels for overtone control; or a set of EVANS G-Plus heads. The G-Plus is a little thicker but still has the resonance of a 1-ply head. Bright and projecting. Vintage A's are going to be warm, thick, and full. They are so much better quality than the standard ambassador heads.

The Coated Ambassador X is good for extra durability - but it still has the same coating issue as the standard ones. If you want to try them, go for it. I just really think the Vintage series (Ambs and Emps) are such a better deal for the tones you get out of them.

That's my advice! : - )

Last edited by JesusMySavior; 08-22-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
There isn't such a thing like "specific snare drum head" or there is?
The coated Ambassador is the industry standard for snare drum heads. The Ambassador X, Evans G Plus and Evans G14 are also very common and sound great on snares.

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I think I''ll go for Remo Ambassador X Coated because of its thickness and yes, I'm a hard hitter.
Great! You won't be disappointed. They're great heads. If you buy them, let us know how they sound and if you are satisfied with them.

Good luck!

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMySavior View Post
The Coated Ambassador X is good for extra durability - but it still has the same coating issue as the standard ones. If you want to try them, go for it. I just really think the Vintage series (Ambs and Emps) are such a better deal for the tones you get out of them.

That's my advice! : - )
Thanks for your response, mate. In the beginning of this topic, I really forgot to mention that the styles I play in are kinda heavy, so these standard drum heads wouldn't be for me I guess, since I need the heads to be durable.
As for the coating, hope I'm lucky enough to get the heads with coating that doesn't wear off that quickly, but if it does, I don't care at all, I just want them to sound good and that's it. In the beginning I thought that if the coating wears off, the sound will be affected, that's why I worried about the coating so much.

@Swexx: I will report back with everything I have to say, that's for sure.

So my final decision is:
REMO Ambassador X Coated for Snare and Toms
REMO Power Stroke 3 Coated for my bass drum

Thanks a lot for everyone's help, I learned so much about drum heads here and this is incredible.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for your response, mate. In the beginning of this topic, I really forgot to mention that the styles I play in are kinda heavy, so these standard drum heads wouldn't be for me I guess, since I need the heads to be durable.
As for the coating, hope I'm lucky enough to get the heads with coating that doesn't wear off that quickly, but if it does, I don't care at all, I just want them to sound good and that's it. In the beginning I thought that if the coating wears off, the sound will be affected, that's why I worried about the coating so much.

@Swexx: I will report back with everything I have to say, that's for sure.

So my final decision is:
REMO Ambassador X Coated for Snare and Toms
REMO Power Stroke 3 Coated for my bass drum

Thanks a lot for everyone's help, I learned so much about drum heads here and this is incredible.
Cool! Let us know how it works out for ya.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

PS3 Coated is a nice sounding bass drum head. I like it a lot more than the clear version.

Good luck with your choices ageadm!!