DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Gold Member

Default I need some advice!~

I feel as if i'm drowning myself in too many cover bands... I currently play in a RHCP tribute, Nirvana tribute and Coldplay tribute, as well as an originals band.... and i've just agree'd to start doing a wedding band AND a top40's band... tonight i am finding myself learning 36 songs for the wedding band, for a rehearsal tomorrow (and instead of learning i'm procrastinating here! ha.) then gig on saturday....

Do you guys think i am playing way too many covers? i find myself so tired amongst a full time job (physical labor), students, a weekend job (at a music store) all these gigs and rehearsals... i'd love to drop it all and go travel europe for 6~12 months..

also im 20 years old... straight after highschool i went and studied music straight after my advanced diploma i was working... never taken a gap year.

Last edited by uniin; 08-21-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I need some advice!~

Wow, that's some work load! I'm wondering why you agreed to take on these extra gigs on top of the stuff you're already doing? That aside, be careful that your joy doesn't become a chore. It's great to get work in, but not to the point at which you risk loosing your love for music. That certainly contributed to my exit from playing many years ago.

On the flip side, major props to you. Great to see a young guy out there with such a work ethic. Impressive :)
Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
Do you guys think i am playing way too many covers?
Only you know that. But the fact that you've felt the need to question it speaks volumes.

If you need a break, take one....better some time off than to let it get to the point where you get so bummed out that it effects your enjoyment of it all. Can't hurt to strip back some commitments and reconsider your direction.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Gold Member

im taking on all of these gigs as a way to test myself i suppose... my teachers back when i was studying always said "never say NO to a gig unless you already have a gig booked" and i've been living by that for this year.

2 weeks ago i took 4 days off and went to the snow... that was so refreshing, despite I was SO SO sore.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
I feel as if i'm drowning myself in too many cover bands... I currently play in a RHCP tribute, Nirvana tribute and Coldplay tribute, as well as an originals band.... and i've just agree'd to start doing a wedding band AND a top40's band... tonight i am finding myself learning 36 songs for the wedding band, for a rehearsal tomorrow (and instead of learning i'm procrastinating here! ha.) then gig on saturday....

Do you guys think i am playing way too many covers? i find myself so tired amongst a full time job (physical labor), students, a weekend job (at a music store) all these gigs and rehearsals... i'd love to drop it all and go travel europe for 6~12 months..

also im 20 years old... straight after highschool i went and studied music straight after my advanced diploma i was working... never taken a gap year.
You lucky lucky sod!!!!! I wish i had that much work coming my way. That said if you think it is too much(and i've been there) drop the cover band you feel the least affinity for.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Gold Member

I certainly could not do that and remain happy.

A tip of the hat to the drummers who can stomach playing covers!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

If you decide to persevere it will get easier since you will already have a knowledge of how
to play very many popular songs. It's ok to push yourself hard, especially in your 20's and
30's to get things really happening for you....just don't allow it to overload you. It's a delicate
balance. Make a plan so things don't overwhelm you..that's the main thing. If you need to cut back by all means do it.

I might mention that the idea of taking a gap year doesn't apply to all of us....it depends on the world when you were born. For me it
was graduate high school and then you had to do one of these 1. go in the armed forces 2. leave the country 3. go to jail 4. go to college and
stay there until the war ended. Once you had finished any one of those the idea of a gap year...well, it was something no one had even heard of back
then. Consider yourself very fortunate!

Last edited by groove1; 08-22-2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: sentence