DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 AM
ADKLco's Avatar
ADKLco ADKLco is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 20
Default g2 vs ec2 (clear and coated)

Hi, my church kit is in need of new heads, BADLY (it's a CB). I've narrowed my options down to either the g2 or ec2, either clear or coated. I want a pretty sharp attack, and a sustain that's not too long. I also heard that the ring on the ec2's flake off, is that true?


Also, other product suggestions are welcome, but please try to stay on topic as much as you can, Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Tyger's Avatar
Tyger Tyger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Posts: 346
Default Re: g2 vs ec2 (clear and coated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKLco View Post
Hi, my church kit is in need of new heads, BADLY (it's a CB). I've narrowed my options down to either the g2 or ec2, either clear or coated. I want a pretty sharp attack, and a sustain that's not too long. I also heard that the ring on the ec2's flake off, is that true?


Also, other product suggestions are welcome, but please try to stay on topic as much as you can, Thanks.
I would go coated which will help control the sustain, can't go wrong with either head but I've used coated EC2 SST's before and I really like the warmth of those heads. No flaking on these heads but I didn't use them for very long. I just got a kit yesterday that came with EC2 clears and they were flaking off. Swapped them out for my Aquarian Super 2's.

If you are open to other heads I would also look at Aquarian Super 2 or Response 2 coated, awesome heads and very durable.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-20-2012, 03:32 PM
BigDinSD's Avatar
BigDinSD BigDinSD is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: g2 vs ec2 (clear and coated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Swapped them out for my Aquarian Super 2's.

If you are open to other heads I would also look at Aquarian Super 2 or Response 2 coated, awesome heads and very durable.
Excellent heads for toms. Performance II's if you really want short sustain.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 PM
EvansSpecialist EvansSpecialist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 534
Default Re: g2 vs ec2 (clear and coated)

The EC2's will likely give you the control you're looking for. We had an issue a while back with the ink flaking off for some consumers. We have made some changes in production to prevent this going forward. I'm willing to send out replacements if anyone experiences serious flaking of the ink. Just drop me a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 PM
notfuzzi's Avatar
notfuzzi notfuzzi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 90
Default Re: g2 vs ec2 (clear and coated)

Another reason why Evans is an amazing company!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Shedboyxx's Avatar
Shedboyxx Shedboyxx is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 690
Default Re: g2 vs ec2 (clear and coated)

I've used the EC2 clear's a while back On my Yamaha YMCAN kit toms. Very nice sounding heads although I prefer the coated G2's. Then again I like a bit more resonance out of my toms.

The coated EC2's would be a better choice if you're looking for more control.

I have had the Aquarian coated Super 2's on my Gretsch kit toms for some time now. They have lasted probably longer than any other coated head, including other Aquarians.

I'll be trying out Aquarian coated Response 2's with clear Evans EC Resonants on those same toms this week.

BTW: In case you can't tell, I'm jumping around trying different heads out on different drums.:)

Jim
__________________
"Time...to Unpimp......Ze Auto ....huuuuuh"

Jim Martin Music
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Tyger's Avatar
Tyger Tyger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Posts: 346
Default Re: g2 vs ec2 (clear and coated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansSpecialist View Post
The EC2's will likely give you the control you're looking for. We had an issue a while back with the ink flaking off for some consumers. We have made some changes in production to prevent this going forward. I'm willing to send out replacements if anyone experiences serious flaking of the ink. Just drop me a PM.
That's great, but I didn't own this set of EC2's, unless I go back and change my post to something else...hahaha. I do like the sounds of them on the toms though, very nice tone. However the EC2 SST heads I have, I noticed the frosting came off quite fast, only after a couple days of use...is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboyxx View Post
I've used the EC2 clear's a while back On my Yamaha YMCAN kit toms. Very nice sounding heads although I prefer the coated G2's. Then again I like a bit more resonance out of my toms.

The coated EC2's would be a better choice if you're looking for more control.

I have had the Aquarian coated Super 2's on my Gretsch kit toms for some time now. They have lasted probably longer than any other coated head, including other Aquarians.

I'll be trying out Aquarian coated Response 2's with clear Evans EC Resonants on those same toms this week.

BTW: In case you can't tell, I'm jumping around trying different heads out on different drums.:)

Jim
Jim, I swaped many heads out for a good 6 months trying different brands and combos and finally settled on the Super 2's. I've had them on the kit now for 8 months and they still sound great. I'm very curious about the clear Response II and how they would sound on my Saturns. The good thing is I have a few sets of heads that I can change up if I feel like it :)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-21-2012, 04:56 AM
ADKLco's Avatar
ADKLco ADKLco is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 20
Default Re: g2 vs ec2 (clear and coated)

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your help. :)

I've never thought of trying Aquarian before and would like to give them a shot, but they don't sell them in Canada. :( (buying online is too much of a hassle for us)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Tyger's Avatar
Tyger Tyger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Posts: 346
Default Re: g2 vs ec2 (clear and coated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKLco View Post
Hey everyone, thanks so much for your help. :)

I've never thought of trying Aquarian before and would like to give them a shot, but they don't sell them in Canada. :( (buying online is too much of a hassle for us)
Where in Canada are you? I had to order mine in, took a couple weeks to get through long and Mcquade, sometimes they will have stock but usually it's very few. If you check with your local store they can order it in for you.

Coated EC2 or EC2 SST will be easier to find if you can't wait
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 PM
ADKLco's Avatar
ADKLco ADKLco is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 20
Default Re: g2 vs ec2 (clear and coated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Where in Canada are you? I had to order mine in, took a couple weeks to get through long and Mcquade, sometimes they will have stock but usually it's very few. If you check with your local store they can order it in for you.

Coated EC2 or EC2 SST will be easier to find if you can't wait
I live in Barrie so my stores of choice are either L&Q or Cosmo (our music store is over priced). Yeah true... but I am a very cautious person so I consider all options :P If the head is a dud, getting a replacement would be a big hassle since they'd have to order some more (we perform quite a bit after september so we can't really afford any duds). If Cosmo has stock I will give Aquarian a shot, other than that I think i'll stick with evans. Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com