DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Silver Member

Default Superkick2/Regulator Combo Unported

I just tried this on my 16x26. I was afraid there might be too much dampening. I can see where this combo might actually be too much on a smaller kick bit it is sounding pretty massive on mine. The batter is tuned pretty low,just to the point where it starts to sing, no more than a whole turn. The reso is about 1 3/4 turns,significantly higher in pitch. From behind the kit,it sounds boomy but with a nice impact,almost like a kick in unison with a sampled bass drop. The sound from the front is punchier and more controlled.

The Superkick has the best feel of any kick head I have ever tried. The unported flubber is at a minimum with this thing. Hell,I could probably bury the beater,if I wanted to.

I can't wait to try it with the band on Tuesday. I might totally change my tune ,once I am fighting for space with the bassist though. :)
Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Superkick2/Regulator Combo Unported

Glad it worked for you. People swear by this head, but I found it has way too much dampening, and I could never get it to "sing" on two different drums of different sizes and woods. You can't beat it for tone control and I agree it has great feel. I guess I just like more resonation and liveliness in heads.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Glad it worked for you. People swear by this head, but I found it has way too much dampening, and I could never get it to "sing" on two different drums of different sizes and woods. You can't beat it for tone control and I agree it has great feel. I guess I just like more resonation and liveliness in heads.

I don't think I would like it on a smaller drum and I don't think I would like it if the reso was ported. Next time, I might try a Superkick 1. My first impression is very favorable but the jury is still out. I haven't played it with the band yet.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

The muffling is a bit much when the entire band is playing. Most of my live situations will be mic'd. So, it won't be that big of deal. Next head change,I might got to a Superkick1 and switch the reso with an Ambassador. I simply love the way these Superkicks feel.