DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Sorry to hijack the Infinity topic, but my recent meltdown is now officially Over (until the next time): after two hellishly challenging semesters, Mini-Madge has done Jolly Well in her first year at uni. Hugely proud of her.

In other, completely unrelated news, the horses are staying.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Administrator

I understand the mind game but, "differential is infinitely small" Small doesn't make it 1. As long as the difference is SMALL, your word, then it is not the same.
It's like cutting something in half, how many times can you cut something in half?

and I didn't mean adding a 0 to the string of 9's, I meant adding the zero to the minuend , under your subtrahend of 1.0000

1.000000000 minuend
.999999999 subtrahend Everytime you add a 9, I add a 0
you have 25 9's I have 1.and 25 0's. Still have a difference, no matter how infinetly small.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Grunter, this is not a mind game. It's real (no pun intended). It seems that you're stuck on the idea that infinity is "a really, really big number". It's not. Infinity is not a number. Your argument is predicated on the idea that there are a finite number of 9s involved. There isn't. I agree with you that even 10 raised to the billionth power worth of 9s is not 1. There is a differential in that case. But that's not what we're saying. Infinity is not 10 raised to the billion million trillionth power plus a little bit more for good measure.

This sentence is a bit of a give away:
"Still have a difference, no matter how infinetly small."

Think about that term "infinitely small" for a moment. You're using it as if it means "itsy bitsy teeny weeny tiny winy". In other words, something small but still finite. I'm using it as "the reciprocal of infinity" (and to be clear, that whole line of argument about the differential being infinitely small is colloquial, decidedly not a proper proof, just tossing out an idea that might be easy to grasp).

Not being snarky, did you ever take calculus? It might help if we can refer to a few concepts contained therein.

I wonder, do horses have a concept of infinity? For that matter, do they have a concept of "5"?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFiore View Post
Grunter, this is not a mind game. It's real (no pun intended). It seems that you're stuck on the idea that infinity is "a really, really big number". It's not. Infinity is not a number.
Just to be certain, and I get what you are saying and have seen one of the proofs to make it work, but you state that this is "real". Infinity is not real, it is a concept. We cannot achieve it, touch it, buy it, find it, obtain it, see it, hear it, so on and so forth. So how can this be real without you telling me that I just have to understand it, because I already do.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
...and I didn't mean adding a 0 to the string of 9's, I meant adding the zero to the minuend , under your subtrahend of 1.0000

1.000000000 minuend
.999999999 subtrahend Everytime you add a 9, I add a 0
you have 25 9's I have 1.and 25 0's. Still have a difference, no matter how infinetly small.
You never reach the point where you get to place the 1 though.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Banned

I call exponents "high X" - for example squares would be high twos, cube would be high threes etc etc.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Just to be certain, and I get what you are saying and have seen one of the proofs to make it work, but you state that this is "real". Infinity is not real, it is a concept. We cannot achieve it, touch it, buy it, find it, obtain it, see it, hear it, so on and so forth. So how can this be real without you telling me that I just have to understand it, because I already do.
By this I mean it is true that .999... is exactly 1. It's not a trick. The "real pun" reference is to real numbers. That is, all values on a line extending from negative infinity to positive infinity and including all rational and irrational values. As opposed to imaginary numbers and complex numbers.

I stand guilty of math geek humor. The punishment shall be my getting hit over the head with a log, either a common log or a natural log. Either one works, it's a sine of the times.

It doesn't really matter if people like, dislike, accept or reject the statement .999...=1. It is true. That's one aspect of math that I really like.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I stand guilty of math geek humor. The punishment shall be my getting hit over the head with a log, either a common log or a natural log. Either one works, it's a sine of the times.
Cos that is the mandatory punishment for math humor. (okay, that was pretty bad)
Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Cos that is the mandatory punishment for math humor. (okay, that was pretty bad)
Geez, let's not go off on a tangent...
Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Stop it you two or i'll tan both your hides!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uEJRmoIDVc

It's a sin!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Banned

I dunno if this is cool or scary. A work colleague told me today that this past weekend during an outbreak of severe weather that someone from my company (based out of Washington D.C.) called him to warn him that a tornado was near his house. I think it is kind of cool that our company cares enough about the money we generate them to warn us about a storm - but I am kind worried that one of us may get a call like this one: "uh Mr X we saw that you bought a 3 foot gravity bong today at Re Todd's Head Shop"....
Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Administrator

They could have used GPS, knowing his registered home address, and knew where the tornado activity was, to send out a warning. That is much different than spying on his buying habits
Old 04-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
They could have used GPS, knowing his registered home address, and knew where the tornado activity was, to send out a warning. That is much different than spying on his buying habits
I agree GD - just providing forum fodder plus I had not written the word bong for several hours.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Today's random fun math tidbit:

You know how when you multiply a number by 9 the result is a number, that when its individual digits are added together, yields 9 (e.g. 6*9=54 and 5+4=9)? This isn't just true for smaller two digit values. You can iterate the process for larger results: 9*22=198, 1+9+8=18, 1+8=9.

What's more cool is that this idea also works in other bases, not just decimal. It will always be the case that when you multiply by the value one less than the base, you will end up with a number the digits of which will add up to the value one less than the base. For example, consider base 8: 7*5=43, 4+3=7 (35 decimal is 43 base 8). I got curious about the 9s thing when I was a teenager and figured out that it could be extended to other bases.

In other news, there have been no new porcupine sightings at our house for the past several days.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
In other news, there have been no new porcupine sightings at our house for the past several days.
The squirrels here recognize and understand the sound of a pellet gun being cocked. Perhaps your porcupines have discovered a similar warning sign.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The squirrels here recognize and understand the sound of a pellet gun being cocked. Perhaps your porcupines have discovered a similar warning sign.
Time to break out the AR15!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

You know how when you multiply a number by 9 the result is a number, that when its individual digits are added together, yields 9 (e.g. 6*9=54 and 5+4=9)? This isn't just true for smaller two digit values. You can iterate the process for larger results: 9*22=198, 1+9+8=18, 1+8=9.

What's more cool is that this idea also works in other bases, not just decimal. It will always be the case that when you multiply by the value one less than the base, you will end up with a number the digits of which will add up to the value one less than the base. For example, consider base 8: 7*5=43, 4+3=7 (35 decimal is 43 base 8). I got curious about the 9s thing when I was a teenager and figured out that it could be extended to other bases.
Hand that lot on to a mathcore drummer........see if he can play it.

Me, I'll just play the porcupine.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

Random thought of the day:

I think hunting would be much more interesting if the hunter was armed equivalent to the prey. Thus, I feel deer hunters should only enter the woods with antlers but on the other hand duck hunters should be given jet packs.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Random thought of the day:

I think hunting would be much more interesting if the hunter was armed equivalent to the prey. Thus, I feel deer hunters should only enter the woods with antlers but on the other hand duck hunters should be given jet packs.
What about fishermen? That could be considered hunting. Re-breathers and swim fins?

I agree about hunting to an extent. I don't think it is fair when a hunter sets up a deer feeder 25 feet from his tree stand and just waits for the deer to show up. That is not hunting, it is ambushing. I would be okay with it if hunting was necessary for survival, but in todays society it is not. The advent of the grocery store kind of put a stop to that.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
What about fishermen? That could be considered hunting. Re-breathers and swim fins?
Most definitely. Unless you're fishing in a trout stream. That would be kind of overkill. Instead you'd have to capture real flies and then affix them to bits of string to lure the fish close enough so that you could pounce on them. If you're fishing for salmon you'd have to crouch on a rock, wait for them to jump and then catch them in your mouth like a grizzly.

I think we could make a hit reality show out of this. We could call it: "True Life Nature Hunters". I think we could get Discovery Channel interested. They'll broadcast almost anything. Might help sell it if we could slide in something about Bigfoot or UFOs or Hitler, though.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Most definitely. Unless you're fishing in a trout stream. That would be kind of overkill. Instead you'd have to capture real flies and then affix them to bits of string to lure the fish close enough so that you could pounce on them. If you're fishing for salmon you'd have to crouch on a rock, wait for them to jump and then catch them in your mouth like a grizzly.

I think we could make a hit reality show out of this. We could call it: "True Life Nature Hunters". I think we could get Discovery Channel interested. They'll broadcast almost anything. Might help sell it if we could slide in something about Bigfoot or UFOs or Hitler, though.
You will need folks who have strong hillbilly accents - strong enough that subtitles are needed. I have several relatives who you can call....
Old 05-02-2014, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_In_KC View Post
You will need folks who have strong hillbilly accents - strong enough that subtitles are needed. I have several relatives who you can call....
Oh please, Please, PLEASE tell me that you have sisters who are also your cousins... We could make a fortune!!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Gold Member

Me an Mert, we's is goin don ta th holler fer sum fishin. I dun seen a big ol boy in them thar watas. Y'all betuh stan back an lookit how we dun do it in thees neks a th wood. Dang sun, we be eetin good ta-not.

It took me a while to decipher the language down here when I moved from New York. Twenty-three years later and I sometimes still wish I had a decoder ring or something.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:14 AM

Not really a random thought, I think it's absolutely genious! You know all those jokes about drummers speeding up or slowing down and whatnot? well, as I lay awake last night, I had a thought. what I thunk was that we actually control the timing of the songs. so if we want to go faster, we can, however, that makes it look and sound like we are speeding up, but actually everybody else is going slower and they are the losers...
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

I thunk it was a stroke of genius too, my man.

Hey, it stands to reason, yeah?

The "winner" is the first over the line, right? So if the others are playing slower.....and consequently finish last, then by very definition they are indeed "losers", no?

Genius, indeed!! :-)
Old 05-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

OK, so I have a mathematician friend who is a brilliant musician except for one thing. If you give him the score for a song written in 4/4 time he can play it perfect but if the song's in 3/4 he'll only play 75% of it.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:15 AM
Gold Member

I don't understand this. My daughter was hit by a car today. She is fine, has giant bump on her head and a severely bruised shoulder. Her bike is a bit screwed up, but that is besides the point. Here is my problem. The man who hit her got out, asked her if she was okay, and when she said she was, he left. No one called the police until my wife talked to one at the hospital. The officer said that since the guy asked if she was okay, and she said yes, he said that the guy did nothing wrong. Here is my bigger problem, my daughter had the right of way to cross the street, the car had a red light. He was turning right on red and was not paying attention to pedestrians. The cop was willing to do nothing, and seemed irritated that he was even bothered with this. He even tried to put the blame on my daughter because she couldn't remember the incident clearly. I am extremely pissed. If it was a car on car accident the man would have been charged with leaving the scene of an accident. What am I supposed to do about this?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:10 AM

firstly, send my regards and a rose to your daughter.
secondly, what kind of a man would drive into somebody and not stop until the police arrive however injured the person is?!
thirdly, that policeman is a moegoe, if somebody asks a bobby to do something, he/she should do it. (within reason of course)

On the other hand, there isn't really anything you can do. No phone numbers, addresses, etc were exchanged... At least you can just be thankful that your daughter is alright
Old 05-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Yikes - that's unbelievable.

I agree with Popcorn Mogul though, I very much doubt there's anything you can do at all. Over here, if something like this happened and the guy was deemed not to have done anything wrong, you would lobby your MP to get the law changed.

Very glad your daughter is ok.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

Mr IP, I'm very glad your daughter is OK.

Here in Sydney the past week has seen one cyclist killed and another seriously injured. Laughably, the transport minister sees licensing cyclists as the solution. Comment sections of online news sites are full of numpties blaming cyclists, despite knowing stuff all about the circumstances of the accidents.

You'da thunk gummints would be keen as to see more people exercising and fewer people burning fossil fuels and crowding the roads.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

The right turn/pedestrian accident is textbook. This is the first thing they showed us in a defensive driving course I took years ago. I frequently see people doing a right on red without stopping (they're slowing down at best) and just looking to their left.

The cop sounds like a d-nozzle but then it seems there is little he could do anyway without more data. The driver, of course, had every incentive to beat feet so that he wouldn't get charged with anything or have his insurance rates go up. Just be happy that he stopped and made sure your daughter was OK. Some people would just keep going.

A similar accident happened to one of my students a few years back. He was pedaling in the same direction as the car and the car turned into him at the crosswalk. The car knocked the bike out from under him but didn't hit him. The result was that he found himself suddenly running across the intersection without falling. No way you could replicate that on demand.

One thing I will say, here in New York State when new highways are added/remodeled, they have to add equivalent miles of pedestrian/bike walkway. There is a major reconstruction project on one of the major roads through town which is currently not pedestrian friendly. When it's done, there will be pedestrian walkways paralleling the whole thing. And these are not just cheesy sidewalks right next to the road. They're usually asphalt strips well removed from the road and often with low fencing, plantings, berms, etc. between them. If you want to get people to walk, run or bike to reduce traffic or get healthy, you have to make it safe and convenient for them. I'm really happy that NY does this.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Mogul View Post
firstly, send my regards and a rose to your daughter.
secondly, what kind of a man would drive into somebody and not stop until the police arrive however injured the person is?!
thirdly, that policeman is a moegoe, if somebody asks a bobby to do something, he/she should do it. (within reason of course)

On the other hand, there isn't really anything you can do. No phone numbers, addresses, etc were exchanged... At least you can just be thankful that your daughter is alright
The car behind the one that hit her gave us his license plate number. They also were nice enough to drive her home, and she couldn't remember which house was ours at first. They didn't call the police either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Yikes - that's unbelievable.

I agree with Popcorn Mogul though, I very much doubt there's anything you can do at all. Over here, if something like this happened and the guy was deemed not to have done anything wrong, you would lobby your MP to get the law changed.

Very glad your daughter is ok.
I am not sure how that works here. I am honestly more irritated that the police officer seemed unwilling to do anything. The drivers license plate was out of state so he said that the guy probably left the area. He didn't even bother to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Mr IP, I'm very glad your daughter is OK.

Here in Sydney the past week has seen one cyclist killed and another seriously injured. Laughably, the transport minister sees licensing cyclists as the solution. Comment sections of online news sites are full of numpties blaming cyclists, despite knowing stuff all about the circumstances of the accidents.

You'da thunk gummints would be keen as to see more people exercising and fewer people burning fossil fuels and crowding the roads.
Yeah, because licensing a bicycle will make drivers pay more attention to them. That is nonsense.

Quote:
The right turn/pedestrian accident is textbook. This is the first thing they showed us in a defensive driving course I took years ago. I frequently see people doing a right on red without stopping (they're slowing down at best) and just looking to their left.

The cop sounds like a d-nozzle but then it seems there is little he could do anyway without more data. The driver, of course, had every incentive to beat feet so that he wouldn't get charged with anything or have his insurance rates go up. Just be happy that he stopped and made sure your daughter was OK. Some people would just keep going.

A similar accident happened to one of my students a few years back. He was pedaling in the same direction as the car and the car turned into him at the crosswalk. The car knocked the bike out from under him but didn't hit him. The result was that he found himself suddenly running across the intersection without falling. No way you could replicate that on demand.

One thing I will say, here in New York State when new highways are added/remodeled, they have to add equivalent miles of pedestrian/bike walkway. There is a major reconstruction project on one of the major roads through town which is currently not pedestrian friendly. When it's done, there will be pedestrian walkways paralleling the whole thing. And these are not just cheesy sidewalks right next to the road. They're usually asphalt strips well removed from the road and often with low fencing, plantings, berms, etc. between them. If you want to get people to walk, run or bike to reduce traffic or get healthy, you have to make it safe and convenient for them. I'm really happy that NY does this.
We have something similar here as well, and when it is finished will run through 5 cities and be about 35 miles long. It just isn't finished yet.

I am just glad she is okay. I was at work when it happened so I had the worst case scenario running through my head as I drove to the hospital. I can't even begin to explain how awful it feels to be told that your kid was hit by a car and nothing more.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Firstly,I'm glad your daughter is ok.My kids have been in accidents and one was killed in a car accident,so I understand a parents feeling of terror when told of an event like this.

As a retired cop however,I can't understand the police officers irritation in this situation.I would be doing all that I could do,especially given the fact that there was a witness,and I had a license plate number.He,in NY State would be charged with leaving the scene of an accident.If you hit a cyclist or pedestrian,your suppose to call the police and an ambulance.

This driver,should be charged with an accident,and your daughter,entitled to medical and property damage coverage,by the drivers insurance company..In most cases,a vehicle turning right on red,would be deemed at fault in this case,and his insurance company would have to pay your daughter.

I really can't understand why the driver of this car isn't under arrest,and that cop,is an idiot.I would be ,demanding ,that your local police department,take aggresive enforcement action against that jerk,who just left the scene,to avoid a police motor vehicle accident report.This douch,was just more concerned about his insurance rates,than your kids health and safety.

Sorry to come down so hard here,but it's not on you or your kid,but I just don't suffer fools well.That cop was incompetant,and that's coming from a guy,who would do almost anything for a brother officer.And that driver,needs what we liked to call,a tune up.

Money and idiots aside,just be thankful she's ok,and give her a couple of extra hugs and kisses,tonight,and remind her how much you love her,and how happy you are that she's OK.Once again,sorry this happened to your kid.

Steve B
Old 05-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Administrator

She couldn't remember because she took a blow to the head. Did the hospital check for concussion. Sick to the stomach, dizzy , vision issues. I would pursue this but I am in the Florida, so who knows.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:46 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Mr. IP you need to track this man down. Injuries can surface at a later date and your daughter needs to be covered for this. You have a license plate, that's enough info to find him. Your poor daughter, this is a good situation to teach her to not let people off so easy.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Wonderful to hear that your daughter survived that. It's a fine line. She got lucky. Some people are not so lucky.

Regarding the incident, she was obviously confused when he asked her that. She should get checked out. Make sure there is no internal bleeding in the skull. The police should pursue that plate and get that guy's insurance to pay any personal injury bills.

I've been hit by a car before. I had a gash in my leg that went almost all the way to the bone. Took 32 stitches to sew it up. The bike was OK, and I got about $2K from the lady's insurance. That was just enough to pay the bills. I was OK and very lucky too.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Auto insurance companies always tell you to call the police if you've been in a wreck, but what do you do if the cops don't come?

Businessman talking on his cell phone by a car accident Stewart Cohen, Blend Images, Getty ImagesLas Vegas has become the latest city to decide that police won't respond if you're in a fender bender. And that's not just if your car kisses bumpers with another one in a parking lot. If you're in an accident with major damage, but no one is injured, the cops may not arrive.

That concerns Michael Geeser, president of the Nevada Insurance Council, a non-profit organization that represents the property and casualty insurance industry. With the new law, motorists now have to take down details about the wreck, as well as the other driver -- something they're not experienced in doing. If the wreck occurred on a roadway, there's a chance they might step into traffic and get injured as they're gathering information.

And tempers may flare. "There's a ton of road rage out there. It's not necessarily the most polite people that have to exchange information. There's anger, outrage, words flying. Now you're putting people in the untenable position of having to gather information in such a scenario," Geeser says. "People can intimidate the other party and coerce them to write or say something they didn't mean to."

Emerging trend: Cities opting out of cops at accident scenes
Las Vegas isn't the only major city that has adopted such a policy. You'll encounter similar policies in places such as San Francisco, Salt Lake City and Philadelphia.

Even if police don't respond in Las Vegas, you're still expected to file an accident report within 10 days of the wreck. In Las Vegas, you're legally required to report any accident with at least $750 in property damage.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Firstly,I'm glad your daughter is ok.My kids have been in accidents and one was killed in a car accident,so I understand a parents feeling of terror when told of an event like this.

As a retired cop however,I can't understand the police officers irritation in this situation.I would be doing all that I could do,especially given the fact that there was a witness,and I had a license plate number.He,in NY State would be charged with leaving the scene of an accident.If you hit a cyclist or pedestrian,your suppose to call the police and an ambulance.

This driver,should be charged with an accident,and your daughter,entitled to medical and property damage coverage,by the drivers insurance company..In most cases,a vehicle turning right on red,would be deemed at fault in this case,and his insurance company would have to pay your daughter.

I really can't understand why the driver of this car isn't under arrest,and that cop,is an idiot.I would be ,demanding ,that your local police department,take aggresive enforcement action against that jerk,who just left the scene,to avoid a police motor vehicle accident report.This douch,was just more concerned about his insurance rates,than your kids health and safety.

Sorry to come down so hard here,but it's not on you or your kid,but I just don't suffer fools well.That cop was incompetant,and that's coming from a guy,who would do almost anything for a brother officer.And that driver,needs what we liked to call,a tune up.

Money and idiots aside,just be thankful she's ok,and give her a couple of extra hugs and kisses,tonight,and remind her how much you love her,and how happy you are that she's OK.Once again,sorry this happened to your kid.

Steve B
Thank you for your insight. I am so sorry to hear you lost a child in an accident. I can't begin to explain how much this saddens me as a parent.

I am pursuing the whole incident fully. I am disgusted at the officers lack of concern.

Quote:
She couldn't remember because she took a blow to the head. Did the hospital check for concussion. Sick to the stomach, dizzy , vision issues. I would pursue this but I am in the Florida, so who knows.
She got a CT scan and x-rays and everything came back good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Mr. IP you need to track this man down. Injuries can surface at a later date and your daughter needs to be covered for this. You have a license plate, that's enough info to find him. Your poor daughter, this is a good situation to teach her to not let people off so easy.
I am working on it. I am very angry about this. I will not rest until all legal avenues are explored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Wonderful to hear that your daughter survived that. It's a fine line. She got lucky. Some people are not so lucky.

Regarding the incident, she was obviously confused when he asked her that. She should get checked out. Make sure there is no internal bleeding in the skull. The police should pursue that plate and get that guy's insurance to pay any personal injury bills.

I've been hit by a car before. I had a gash in my leg that went almost all the way to the bone. Took 32 stitches to sew it up. The bike was OK, and I got about $2K from the lady's insurance. That was just enough to pay the bills. I was OK and very lucky too.
We aren't worried about the money, she has full coverage insurance. However, the state (they provide her insurance) should not have to pay for this, the man who hit her should.

Quote:
Auto insurance companies always tell you to call the police if you've been in a wreck, but what do you do if the cops don't come?

Businessman talking on his cell phone by a car accident Stewart Cohen, Blend Images, Getty ImagesLas Vegas has become the latest city to decide that police won't respond if you're in a fender bender. And that's not just if your car kisses bumpers with another one in a parking lot. If you're in an accident with major damage, but no one is injured, the cops may not arrive.

That concerns Michael Geeser, president of the Nevada Insurance Council, a non-profit organization that represents the property and casualty insurance industry. With the new law, motorists now have to take down details about the wreck, as well as the other driver -- something they're not experienced in doing. If the wreck occurred on a roadway, there's a chance they might step into traffic and get injured as they're gathering information.

And tempers may flare. "There's a ton of road rage out there. It's not necessarily the most polite people that have to exchange information. There's anger, outrage, words flying. Now you're putting people in the untenable position of having to gather information in such a scenario," Geeser says. "People can intimidate the other party and coerce them to write or say something they didn't mean to."

Emerging trend: Cities opting out of cops at accident scenes
Las Vegas isn't the only major city that has adopted such a policy. You'll encounter similar policies in places such as San Francisco, Salt Lake City and Philadelphia.

Even if police don't respond in Las Vegas, you're still expected to file an accident report within 10 days of the wreck. In Las Vegas, you're legally required to report any accident with at least $750 in property damage.
That is crazy. Why would they not come? What happened to protect and serve?
Old 05-04-2014, 11:44 PM
Administrator

His insurance should pay for this. Call your insurance company to contact his company