DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 PM
spikeithard

Default TD-4KX2 snare problem

Hey I got a used but still in good shape Roland 4KX2 yesterday and got around to jammin on it today.
But I noticed the snare pad cuts out quiet every once in a while (maybe if hit in a certain spot?)

the pads look not worn at all. should I try a factory reset?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:40 AM

Default Re: TD-4KX2 snare problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeithard View Post
Hey I got a used but still in good shape Roland 4KX2 yesterday and got around to jammin on it today.
But I noticed the snare pad cuts out quiet every once in a while (maybe if hit in a certain spot?)

the pads look not worn at all. should I try a factory reset?
Yes first try a module reset in case the former owner messed with the settings, but also try swapping the other larger pad for the snare pad as a control test. Then you will know if it is the pad itself or the module setting.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:27 AM
spikeithard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarak View Post
Yes first try a module reset in case the former owner messed with the settings, but also try swapping the other larger pad for the snare pad as a control test. Then you will know if it is the pad itself or the module setting.
thanks! hope its not the pad or worst - the actual full drum. :(
Old 08-12-2012, 05:01 PM

A factory reset may help if the owner turned the sensitivity very very low. This would result in the pad only triggering with very hard hits.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
spikeithard

ya I switched the floor tom with the snare (swapped it out) and its still doing it.

going to try a factory reset now. wish me luck!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 PM
spikeithard

ok that didnt work. did the factory reset and it still cuts out every maybe 20-25 hits ish.

it doesnt fully cut out the snare sound, just half volume. but its quite distracting!

maybe best is to contact roland and see
Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 PM

Ouch,

Well if you have swapped pads and check cables etc. and also done a module reset, the module may need to be serviced. The trick will be describing the issue to Roland.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:39 AM
spikeithard

got a reply back today from Roland Canada...

...Double check that the model number of the actual snare pad is the same as the one that's indicated in the "Pad Type' setting. Since your kit was used, it may not have the original pad that came with the kit. The pad should be a PDX-8 and that is what you should see in the 'Pad Type' setting for the snare pad as described on page 35 of the TD-4 Owner's Manual. When in the Pad Type setting, tap the snare pad once so that the module shows the setting for that pad. This setting is very important for optimum triggering. If the pad is not a PDX-8, simply change/select the Pad Type setting to match the pad.

Make sure there is sufficient tension on the mesh head. Tighten it to approximately the same tension as an acoustic snare drum head which is quite firm. A good tension on the mesh head will offer the best playing response and triggering for the snare pad.

Lastly, try lowering the Cross Talk Cancel (XTALK CANCEL) setting by two increments, then retest. The procedure is found on page 42 and 44 of the TD-4 Owner's Manual. Notice the asterisk *message under the Crosstalk Example. You haven't specified that the snare cuts out when you are simultaneously playing another pad (kick or hihat or cymbal at the same time as the snare, for example) but try lowering this setting for the snare pad and you may find that the performance improves.

If the problem continues, there may be a problem with the cable and it may need to be replaced. ....