DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Default Problem with my boom arms

I've got some gibraltar boom arms, pretty sure they are:

Gibraltar SC-SBBT Short Cymbal Boom Brake Tilter Arm

My problem is that when I hit my crash cymbals they seem to stop dead as they nod back and forth, and it's because the plastic protector that covers the metal thread is too thick. I'm pretty sure it's stopping the cymbals from wobbling freely, and I actually developed a crack in my 17", no biggie, had it cut out.

I wonder if the crack developed because of what's happening here, and I wonder if anyone else has encountered this. If so, what was your remedy? The plastic tube thing is joined to the base, but it can be unscrewed, I guess maybe if I could find the right diameter rubber house I could cover the metal thread with that instead?

I don't mean to badmouth a product but I never noticed this with my yamaha or sonor cymbal arms. It's actually a very nice boom arm otherwise.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Problem with my boom arms

I doubt it, if they slide freely over the plastic they should be fine sound like you might be screwing them down to tight or the felts might be to thick and restricting their movement for how hard you are hitting them. Take the top felt off completely and see how well they move. I have never used these but hear good things.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/3604770..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Good luck
Old 08-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

It's definitely happening and not because the felts/wingnut/plastic sleeve are too tight. There are scuff marks where the cymbal recoils against the plastic and I can actually see and hear it choking the cymbal, it's an ugly sort of sound. I've tried angling the boom arms to compensate, as well as playing with the tension of wingnuts but it doesn't fix it.

I see they've released the swing nut too... kinda like that aquarian thing.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

I own three Gibraltar booms and have no issues with cymbals being tight on the sleeve washer. If it appears that the sleeve washers are too large and are restricting the cymbal from moving freely, try one of several options:

1) Switch to a normal metal cup washer and thread sleeve combo. Available at music stores across the known universe.
2) Switch to a metal cup washer and the Tama-style nylon wingnut/sleeve combo. Also available pretty much everywhere.
3) Take your current sleeve washer to the local music store and compare it against others on the parts rack. See if you can find an 8mm sleeve washer that is actually thinner than yours. You may want to take along the boom arm to make sure of fit.
4) Take video of the problem, including your damaged cymbals, and send it to Gibraltar's customer service department, asking for an explanation and some sort of restitution, not only for the defective part, but also for the damages to your cymbals. (Iffy, this one, but if you don't ask you'll never know.)
Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Al, sounds like you really know your stuff.

I sent them an email, might take them back to the store I bought them and see if they've got something.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Long, painful experience, brother. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

Its kind of weird, you would think its an industry standard but when I measured the plastic sleeve on my Gibraltar boom arms they measure a straight 12 mm with roughly a 13 mm hole in my Sabian cymbal. My PDP Stands are about a 10.75mm sleeve, so the Gibraltar is the biggest. But sure seems strange it made it crack looks like the plastic would break or wear before that.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

I agree, I think it's odd.

Dre25, a picture or (better yet) some video would be worth a thousand words.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I own three Gibraltar booms and have no issues with cymbals being tight on the sleeve washer.
Same here, I have about 8 of those plastic pieces on my stands and have never had a problem, the ones I have are Dixon but are made by the same company that supplies gibraltar, dixon and a few others
Old 08-12-2012, 03:43 AM
Silver Member

I checked a few gibraltar arms I have, and some of the one-piece replacement sleeve/washer things, they're 12mm as well. I use some Pearl stands most of the time and the Prearl sleeves as more like 11mm.

Standard cymbal holes these days are supposed to be 1/2", IIRC, so yeah, 12mm could be a problem.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe my ufips have a slightly smaller hole too, I'll get a ruler out today and have a look.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 AM

I had a similar problem once with a hi-hat stand. I purchased a used DW stand from a buddy, and the little sleeve that sticks up through the bottom cymbal - the hole on the cymbal was too small. So I actually had to take a pair of needle noses and break the little sleeve off, and then sand down the rough breakage spots.

The second response is the most logical. I actually play without top felts on my cymbals (except my Chinas) but I like my cymbals to really cry out. I also like the appearance of them rocking back and fourth after a heavy accent. A lot of drummers do it this way. As long as the hole is protected with a sleeve you're fine. If it does come up and clash the wing nut a bit, it won't hit it hard enough to do any damage.

Last edited by SticksEasy; 08-12-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Typo