DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM

Default Swinging cymbals

Hi Everyone,

I'm having trouble riding the crash cymbal, whereby the initial one or two hits sets up some unfavourable swing in the thing, and then for the rest of the beat I'm chasing the bugger around its circumference looking for the the side thats pointed up. Usually I can deal with it but last night the band was trying some things in 17/8 and 5/4 and it was too distracting for me.

At the moment I don't own a kit or any breakables, so I come from my practice pad set at home, to the band room, where all the drum equipment is provided, albeit in a sorry looking state. There are no wing-nuts for any cymbal stands so the pies are simply mounted on a bottom felt, so I've not had a chance to try tightening down the cymbals.

Can my swinging cymbal problem be solved by changing the way I hit, or is it simply a case of getting some wing nuts?

Cheers

Andy
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Swinging cymbals

I don't see an issue here. Unless you want a really dead sound, DON'T tighten the cymbals down.

Why are you chasing a certain spot in the cymbal? Just hit the thing in the same way in relation to your body every time.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Sorry, I didn't explain well what is happening.

In this situation, I'm playing the quarter note pulse on the crash cymbal, and at the tempo of our songs, this means the cymbal has swung/dipped so that the front of the cymbal is pointing down, so if I try to hit it the same again, there's no real 'space' for it to be hit/for the cymbal to move. Does that make sense?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

I know what you mean, and you just have to work with it. Don't think about it too much, and your eye/hand coordination will nail the motion over time.

And of course, if you're riding a crash it pays to hit it a bit softer to avoid overpowering the rest of the kit, and that will also cause the cymbal to move around less.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeeT View Post
Sorry, I didn't explain well what is happening.

In this situation, I'm playing the quarter note pulse on the crash cymbal, and at the tempo of our songs, this means the cymbal has swung/dipped so that the front of the cymbal is pointing down, so if I try to hit it the same again, there's no real 'space' for it to be hit/for the cymbal to move. Does that make sense?
This also happens to me in some situations especially when I'm riding
the cymbals really hard on its edge. When I'm hitting a cymbal on its edge,
I apply a more controlled touch even if my hands are really whipping it. You
can try to practice it by hitting harder and seeing when the cymbals
are getting out of control and that's where you make your adjustments. You
can also try to strike the body of the ride cymbal with your stick's shoulder.
Obviously this produces a different sound but I think you can get away with
hitting it harder with a lot less cymbal swinging around.

Hope this made sense and helped you in some way.

Raymond
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Senior Administrator

s'called constructive interference or is it synchronicity, or is it pendulum motion. who cares. each mounted cymbal has a perfect tempo that will cause this problem, a little faster or slower and it goes away - not a solution i know. try playing the right and then left side of the cymbal alternately to cancell the swing or press the stick slightly after each stroke - this can kill the build up of the swing. or simply alternate with another cymbalon the kit - gives a different colour to the sound.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I did try going from the left side to the right side of the cymbal but I still end up 'missing' some hits due to unfavourable swing :-/

I haven't actually tried playing softer, which I will try at the next practice. In fact, I think I need to keep in check more how hard I'm hitting. I tend to be excited at practice too much to think about this!

The idea about each cymbal having its own tempo this phenomenon occurs at is interesting. And is another reason for me to buy some cymbals as soon as possible! hehe

Cheers

Andy
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeeT View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm having trouble riding the crash cymbal, whereby the initial one or two hits sets up some unfavourable swing in the thing, and then for the rest of the beat I'm chasing the bugger around its circumference looking for the the side thats pointed up. Usually I can deal with it but last night the band was trying some things in 17/8 and 5/4 and it was too distracting for me.

At the moment I don't own a kit or any breakables, so I come from my practice pad set at home, to the band room, where all the drum equipment is provided, albeit in a sorry looking state. There are no wing-nuts for any cymbal stands so the pies are simply mounted on a bottom felt, so I've not had a chance to try tightening down the cymbals.

Can my swinging cymbal problem be solved by changing the way I hit, or is it simply a case of getting some wing nuts?

Cheers

Andy
It sounds like many people have played this kit, but few have maintained it. Show it some TLC as a form of gratitude. Get some wing nuts, sleeves felts and washers for it. An oil can for the hat and pedal. A correctly tightened wing nut will create the perfect balance between movement and stability that you need to pull this off.

Of couse, if I saw someone riding my 17 A Custom crash, I'd get worried. Riding a crash is one good way to damage it unless you know what you are doing and the equipment is in proper order.

I almost think this thread should go in a thread about what happens when a bunch of people share a kit. Be warned.