DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 AM
machete machete is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Default Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Cheers to you all! I made a search but didn't find anything relative here it goes!

I intend to buy a v-drums kit next month. Maximum budget is about 1000 euros, I want it for quiet home use (I cant play my acoustic set here anymore) and maybe a little PC recording in the future.

I think I settled in these two:

Roland TD-4KX2
http://www.thomann.de/gr/roland_td4k...ompact_set.htm

Roland TD-11K
http://www.thomann.de/gr/roland_td_1...ompact_set.htm

I know both are pretty decent sets, but I cant make a safe decision on whether I should prefer having better heads (mesh vs rubber) and cymbal triggers (TD4) or a brand new module with (in my opinion) better and more sounds and USB. I know TD-11KV has both of them, but it would be kind of an overkill for me right now.

Also the fact that the rubber toms on the TD-11 don't support rimshots troubles me a little. Will I have rimshots if I change the pads?

Another difference is the USB port TD-11 has, which have to make connecting it to e.g. superior drummer 2.0 much easier.

As for expandability, I don't find any differences between them, only 1 extra cymbal if I'm right.

For now I think it would be wiser to buy the TD-11 and upgrade the pads to mesh over time.

Any opinions or experience on this? Any help would be welcome!

Elias
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:35 AM
kettles's Avatar
kettles kettles is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rotorua, New Zealand
Posts: 1,201
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

I've played both, and would go with the TD11 for sure. If you're worried about the rubber toms you can always upgrade them (used = cheaper), and I'm pretty sure the toms are dual-trigger (so the rims respond as well) check that out in the specs though. Plus, Roland will be releasing software and iPhone apps for the new kits at some point.
__________________
Hi, I'm Andrew.
My old band, come download our stuff
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
machete machete is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Hey thanks, I also think the module is more worth in time depth and triggers are easier to find used.

As for the toms, I had searched for it and found on the Roland site:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD-11K/

Pad (Tom1, Tom2, Tom3)

PD-8A x 3
* The PD-8A is a new unit dedicated to the TD-11K. It does not support the use of the rim-shot technique.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 PM
JimmyTheMonkey's Avatar
JimmyTheMonkey JimmyTheMonkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 190
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

The TD-11k is basically just the new model of the TD-4k2. They decided to change the model number for a lot of there models this time around. Who knows why.

I have the TD-4KX2, it's a great kit. I greatly prefer the mesh heads to the rubber ones. You should be able to upgrade the rubber heads, but I know that has to be expensive. It is probably cheaper to buy the TD-4KX2 and upgrade the module, but I haven't looked into it much yet. Roland charges a lot for individual components. If I were deciding between both kits brand new I would go for the TD-4 for the mesh heads.

For what it's worth, I found my TD-4KX2 used on Craigslist a year ago for under $1000. Keep an eye out for deals like that!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 PM
theoak theoak is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 54
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

The 11K replaces the 4K.

You may get some screaming deals on a 4K. You might want to try and get a 4K with the best pads possible (say all mesh) versus a new 11K with some rubber and some mesh.

You might want to research a little what some of the modules can do though. If there is a certain technique that the 11K now supports that the 4K does not ... you might want to consider that. This may be a bad example but you will get the idea, if the 11K supports rim shots on the snare, where the 4K does not, and you do this a lot ... you may want to go for the 11K. Or if the 11K supports 3 voice cymbals and the 4K does not could be another one. You have eluded to some limitations already that concern you. I recommend going to Roland's web site, downloading the manuals for both and dissecting them accordingly.

The 11K does have all of Roland's latest greatest tech ... so you would/should/might get more life out of a 11K ... ROM upgrades for example ... etc.

In the end though ... if you can get a screaming deal on a loaded 4K set ... you can always upgrade the brain later too.
__________________
DTX700-XP80-XP70(3)-TP100-RHH135-PCY135(2)-KP65
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 PM
JimmyTheMonkey's Avatar
JimmyTheMonkey JimmyTheMonkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 190
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoak View Post
This may be a bad example but you will get the idea, if the 11K supports rim shots on the snare, where the 4K does not, and you do this a lot ...
This is incorrect. My TD-4KX2 supports rim shots on the snare. I imagine its the same for all TD-4 module drum sets
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 PM
theoak theoak is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 54
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Like I said ... it was probably a bad example. The point was if there was a playing style that you do a lot ... but the module does not support that playing style ... then maybe that module is not for you. Those were just examples.
__________________
DTX700-XP80-XP70(3)-TP100-RHH135-PCY135(2)-KP65
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 AM
hotpocket hotpocket is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 24
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

I've been thinking about these two kits as well. I might opt for the TD9K2 instead though.

Between these two, I would go for the 11k. You can get it new for $900 or less if you use a coupon or ask around.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 PM
machete machete is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Hey thanks guys! Actually it's pretty tough to determine what's the best, with no objective answer.

However, it just got serious! Found for the same price a used TD-9KX (not the kx2)! If its in a good condition do you think I should forget about the others?

TD9-KX
http://http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD-9KX/

The only true thing for sure is that the more you learn the more difficult it gets.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 PM
JimmyTheMonkey's Avatar
JimmyTheMonkey JimmyTheMonkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 190
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Quote:
Originally Posted by machete View Post
Hey thanks guys! Actually it's pretty tough to determine what's the best, with no objective answer.

However, it just got serious! Found for the same price a used TD-9KX (not the kx2)! If its in a good condition do you think I should forget about the others?

TD9-KX
http://http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD-9KX/

The only true thing for sure is that the more you learn the more difficult it gets.
I would personally go for the 9 if it's the same price and it's in good shape. The 9's brain has a lot more features and the pads are a lot beefier. My drum teacher has that kid and we often compare ours side to side. I find the cymbal pads on my 4KX2 to be better though, probably because they are newer. Make sure you seriously check it out to make sure it's in full working condition with no abnormal wear, especially on the hi-hat
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 AM
machete machete is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Nice, I think of the same thing, I will go probably these days to check them out.

What do you think are the important things I should check to make sure everything is okay? I Will definitely look out for signs of mistreatment but is there something else I should be aware of (like the hi hat Jimmy mentioned, suppose for the pad, right?)

Photos: http://http://smart.noiz.gr/details.php?id=85664

Can you see some white marks like lines on the mesh heads, especially on the first tom? I have no idea what they may be. Is it something normal?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-06-2012, 04:16 PM
JimmyTheMonkey's Avatar
JimmyTheMonkey JimmyTheMonkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 190
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

I can't see any of the pictures. E-kits wear just like any other product that you bash with a drum stick every day. There are other threads on this forum and others on what to look for in a used e-kit. The main thing is to make sure to play it thoroughly to make sure everything triggers properly. Roland cymbals have a habit of wearing away on the inside and the rubber debris can mess with the triggers. Usually fixed by opening up the cymbals and blowing out the rubber.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-07-2012, 12:46 PM
machete machete is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Oh I put an extra http:// on the link, actually it is

http://smart.noiz.gr/details.php?id=85664

You can see something like thin white lines on the toms, the guy told me its totally normal and because of the very little use and they can be wiped easily with a cloth.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 PM
JimmyTheMonkey's Avatar
JimmyTheMonkey JimmyTheMonkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 190
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

wow that looks strange. I've never seen that before. It kind of looks like remo coating that got carried over from a stick.

If the fix is as simple as wiping down the drums, then tell the owner to wipe the drums down and send you back a picture of them without the streaks.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-07-2012, 05:03 PM
theoak theoak is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 54
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Ditto ...

Ask for another picture ... seems odd the seller did not wipe the pad off himself prior to taking the picture.
__________________
DTX700-XP80-XP70(3)-TP100-RHH135-PCY135(2)-KP65
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 PM
hotpocket hotpocket is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 24
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Well, if that set doesn't work out for you, you could order a TD-11k from Musician's Friend. In their August magazine they have a price of $799 instead of $999. I combined that with a Red Hot Deal sale and got it for $699 so that's a pretty damn good deal.

That was yesterday but I think the Red Hot Deal sale ended... you could wait for another coupon though and try to get it for even cheaper. I was going to get a TD9, but I couldn't pass up this deal. I can spend the left over money to upgrade the pads.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Duracell Duracell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 355
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpocket View Post
Well, if that set doesn't work out for you, you could order a TD-11k from Musician's Friend. In their August magazine they have a price of $799 instead of $999. I combined that with a Red Hot Deal sale and got it for $699 so that's a pretty damn good deal.

That was yesterday but I think the Red Hot Deal sale ended... you could wait for another coupon though and try to get it for even cheaper. I was going to get a TD9, but I couldn't pass up this deal. I can spend the left over money to upgrade the pads.
Import cost to europe not included...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 AM
mrspiffyca's Avatar
mrspiffyca mrspiffyca is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 13
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Quote:
Originally Posted by machete View Post
Nice, I think of the same thing, I will go probably these days to check them out.

What do you think are the important things I should check to make sure everything is okay? I Will definitely look out for signs of mistreatment but is there something else I should be aware of (like the hi hat Jimmy mentioned, suppose for the pad, right?)

Photos: http://http://smart.noiz.gr/details.php?id=85664

Can you see some white marks like lines on the mesh heads, especially on the first tom? I have no idea what they may be. Is it something normal?
I think he maybe cleaned some stains out with laundry type stain remover & had to scrub with an abrasive pad
__________________

Yamaha RCs w/BCA Snare
Zildjian K & A Custom Cymbals
TD-30K w/Strike Vex Pack
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 AM
machete machete is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Hello again guys! Thanks again for the replies!

So I went to the guy's studio and I checked them out, the td9 really rocks!
I observed that:

The pd105 is a killer snare, no problems, I can forgive a little hotspotting!
The kick pad was all right.
I had some trouble turning on the rimshots in one of the toms. To be precise, it needed to hit it hard and in specific areas. I suppose something was wrong with the settings or the trigger cables. The other two worked fine.
The ride cy12-rc was very satisfying, no problems here.

The issue that troubled me though was the cy8 which didn't have a body sound, only rim (edge), and especially the hihat cy5. The hihat wasnt responsive as the other pads. In fact it was missing about half of the notes I played, mostly doubles on the body of the cymbal.

I don't care if it's the pad alone as it's very cheep to replace with a new one. But I'm confused if it is a module problem. And adding the tom makes things more complicated..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 AM
JimmyTheMonkey's Avatar
JimmyTheMonkey JimmyTheMonkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 190
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Quote:
Originally Posted by machete View Post
Hello again guys! Thanks again for the replies!

So I went to the guy's studio and I checked them out, the td9 really rocks!
I observed that:

The pd105 is a killer snare, no problems, I can forgive a little hotspotting!
The kick pad was all right.
I had some trouble turning on the rimshots in one of the toms. To be precise, it needed to hit it hard and in specific areas. I suppose something was wrong with the settings or the trigger cables. The other two worked fine.
The ride cy12-rc was very satisfying, no problems here.

The issue that troubled me though was the cy8 which didn't have a body sound, only rim (edge), and especially the hihat cy5. The hihat wasnt responsive as the other pads. In fact it was missing about half of the notes I played, mostly doubles on the body of the cymbal.

I don't care if it's the pad alone as it's very cheep to replace with a new one. But I'm confused if it is a module problem. And adding the tom makes things more complicated..
The hi-hat missing hits is a common problem with the cymbal pads. As previously mentioned, it is due to rubber debris from the cymbal building up over the trigger and "clogging it." It can be fixed by carefully opening up the cymbal and cleaning it out. There are plenty of guides on the internet on how to do this. Look at vdrums.com
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
machete machete is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Default Re: Roland TD-4KX2 vs TD-11K

Hello again! Sorry for the delay, but at least I now own a nice v-drum kit as well!

I was searching for the ones we have talked about in ads, while two days ago a guy was selling a TD-12K in mint condition. I didn't lose time and I bought it from him for 1000 euros, some money as the TD11-K.

I think its a pretty good deal since comparing it with the ones we talked about it has better better triggers for the kick and cymbals, a VH-11, decent rack with concealed cables, and from the little i have played it yet, a fantastic module with options I will need to take a PhD. to use.

Also the guy gave me a nice yamaha throne, a tama hihat stand for the VH11, a pearl pedal, a bookstand, some cheap t-bone headphones and a 15' drum monitor, so I'll try to sell the duplicates from my acoustic set

Hope I made a good choice. In any case I want to thank you guys for the help! It's not gonna be in vain, the forum didn't have a TD-4 vs TD-11 thread anyway!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com