DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Gold Member

Default Will a "dry" head always sound dull?

I've used the Evans HD Dry on a Tama 13x6.5 Artwood and it seems to dull the tone a bit. Also have used the HD Dry on a DW Collectors 14x5.5 snare with the same results.
If you go on the Evans website, it supposedly is a "brighter" tone of many heads. On the DW snare, I ended up going back to an Ambassador and am pleased with the tone.

So I'm wondering if there are any "Dry" heads out there that will still give me a bright tone. I know the moongel and remo rings will work, but wondering if that is just a common characteristic of a dry head? I've got an ST on the Tama now, and want just a little bit drier tone but not much duller. My application would be on a wood drum without having to use moongel or a remo ring.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Will a "dry" head always sound dull?

I think your issue is more one of recognising where "brightness" comes from. Dry heads do dull your drum sound, & that's because they muffle high overtones. It's mostly those overtones that generate the brighter elements of your drum's tone. Additionally, a dry head reduces head sustain. In combination with a reduction in high overtones, that reduces excitement of your wires after the initial attack. You're wires are responsible for the crisp element of your drum. Although these elements are fairly subtle in isolation, cumulatively, they make a difference.

I always advocate bearing edge profiles & hoop choice as the primary head response shaping methods, preferably thought out in combination. These elements offer finer control of the resultant tone, without resorting to deadening the head. Shell construction also plays a part in shaping characteristics, especially how the reso head/wires react to input from the batter head.

What hoops are you using?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I think your issue is more one of recognising where "brightness" comes from. Dry heads do dull your drum sound, & that's because they muffle high overtones. It's mostly those overtones that generate the brighter elements of your drum's tone. Additionally, a dry head reduces head sustain. In combination with a reduction in high overtones, that reduces excitement of your wires after the initial attack. You're wires are responsible for the crisp element of your drum. Although these elements are fairly subtle in isolation, cumulatively, they make a difference.

I always advocate bearing edge profiles & hoop choice as the primary head response shaping methods, preferably thought out in combination. These elements offer finer control of the resultant tone, without resorting to deadening the head. Shell construction also plays a part in shaping characteristics, especially how the reso head/wires react to input from the batter head.

What hoops are you using?
Thanks for the explanation. Actually does make sense regarding high overtones and brightness being reduced.

On the Tama Artwood I'm just using the factory issued triple flanged hoops.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

In a word, yes.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Actually does make sense regarding high overtones and brightness being reduced.

On the Tama Artwood I'm just using the factory issued triple flanged hoops.
You may want to try using a lighter/brighter head with a die cast hoop on the batter side, or possibly batter & reso side.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 PM

I haven't used the HD Dry (and don't think I will any time soon) but from all accounts it's a super duper dry head. I do have a Genera Dry but removed the inner muffling ring due to lifelessness, it's on a brass piccolo which makes a good balance of somewhat dry ghost notes and ear piercing rimshots.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

I saw that Evans chart too, and think it would be confusing for a lot of people. To me, the HD Dry is most definitely not a 'brighter' sounding head. The way it removes overtones, it's more like a Hydraulic head when used on a snare.

Great head for snares that are overly bright and ringy though.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
In a word, yes.

Darn....................
Old 08-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I saw that Evans chart too, and think it would be confusing for a lot of people. To me, the HD Dry is most definitely not a 'brighter' sounding head. The way it removes overtones, it's more like a Hydraulic head when used on a snare.

Great head for snares that are overly bright and ringy though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickropolis View Post
I haven't used the HD Dry (and don't think I will any time soon) but from all accounts it's a super duper dry head. I do have a Genera Dry but removed the inner muffling ring due to lifelessness, it's on a brass piccolo which makes a good balance of somewhat dry ghost notes and ear piercing rimshots.
Definitely does have its uses. I did use one on a PDP Ace COB 14x6.5 that had an aggressive ring to it. Calmed it nicely. To me, it works nicely on the metal drums but really deadens the tone of a wood drum. Our church band uses one on a Steve Jordan 13x6.5 wood snare. Both top and bottom heads are mic'd so it's gotta be really EQ'd and mixed as it is a little brighter than normal. Maybe that's just what I hear in the audience.