DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 AM

Default Help me with Evans vs. Remo

Hey everyone so heres my deal

My drums:

SONOR eXtreme Series (Kind of a smaller end side of Sonor)
Pretty sure it's similar to the Pearl Export series, like they only made them for a year or two.

It's birch wood.

12x9 High tom
14x14 and 16x16 Floor toms.
Then obviously my kick 22x17
And snare 14x5

I usually use Evans Clear G1 for my resonant, and a coated G2 for my batter on all the drums (execpt snare and kick)

I'm only focused on better tom heads and giving a better sound.

I'm trying all kinds of tuning rather its high tuning, super low and in the middle and I'm just getting a dead sound out of them through all tuning pitches, Which is why I'm thinking the heads are to blame. I COULD BE WRONG!

So please help me out anyone.
I'm not very familiar with the names/series of heads through Remo so help me with that also.

I'm looking for a full, low and warm tone to come out of my heads. I'm not a big heavy/hard rock kinda guy so I'm not looking for anything thats really loud and full of attack.

I mostly play alternative rock, Christian rock and worship, folk rock, county, and then some occasional blues, and classic rock.

I'm open to all ideas so yeah if you have any questions, ask away, and I will get back to you ASAP!

Thanks!!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help me with Evans vs. Remo

I use the exact same head combo as you on old Yamaha Stage Customs (birch & falkata) and get great results. I've had the current heads on longer than most would recommend and they sound deep and tasty.

I would examine bearing edges and tuning methods, honestly. The only time G2s or Evans heads in general have sounded bad to me is when I screwed something up in the execution somewhere.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 AM
Gold Member

I have the same problem with 2 ply heads, I just find them too dead, I like single ply over single ply and for me its Aquarian studio x over classic clear. I find the studio x removes a bit of the high overtones with very little change to the resonance or tone.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I have the same problem with 2 ply heads, I just find them too dead, I like single ply over single ply and for me its Aquarian studio x over classic clear. I find the studio x removes a bit of the high overtones with very little change to the resonance or tone.
Really?

Now my question is, how is the durability on the Aquarian heads? Because I'm a fairly hard hitter which is why I usually stuck with 2ply heads.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:07 AM
audiotech

Depending on your ability to tune well, It just might be faulty Evans two ply heads. I had five G2 heads, both clear and coated that were dead when I installed them on my Tama Starclassic Bubinga and Ludwig Classic Maple kits about three or four weeks ago. I believe most of my faulty heads came from "tom packs", if that matters or not. I got all the information off the labels on the heads just in case anyone needed reference to it. Not all of the G2 heads were dead, just three on the Tama and two coated on the Ludwigs. According to people at the Five Star shop where I bought most of these heads, this is an ever increasing problem with Evans heads and Evans is more than happy to replace the faulty heads.

First blame the problem on your tuning skills, if that pans out, blame the heads, especially if your kit has already sounded good with recent heads you might have used on the kit before the change

Dennis
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Gold Member

Hi,

For a warm full sound look at the Remo Ambassador X head. It's a single ply head but it's thicker (I think 20%) than regular Ambassador heads. You can check out some sample on Youtube.

Good luck
Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrummer23 View Post
Really?

Now my question is, how is the durability on the Aquarian heads? Because I'm a fairly hard hitter which is why I usually stuck with 2ply heads.
Well you can still go with a 2ply from Aquarian if you wanted to as the response 2 is equivalent to the emperor or g2 but that may not cure the dead sounding issue for you as a 2ply is a 2ply but you could go with one of the reverse power dot versions of any of the single ply heads for a bit more added strength if you need it.
http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...ide-comparison.

For me I can only get a few weeks from a Remo ambassador and about 4 or 5 months from an Evans g1 before they start to go dead but I can get 8 months to a year from the Aquarian 1 ply. Their coating on the coated versions is almost bullet proof, even after almost a year of playing I can clean the stick marks off with spray 9 and they still look new other than the dull spot from hitting it, plus the cheaper price is just an added bonus.

BTW I used to bust a few 2 ply years ago too but found after switching to single ply I dont break heads or sticks anymore because the single ply seem to have way more response and are more articulate and I dont hit them nearly as hard to get the same feel and sound.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:03 AM
Silver Member

G2's are great drum heads. A lot of drummers use that combo including me.
You should do a tap test for 2ply heads to make sure you get a tone. Sounds to me that your due for a head change. Try a remo emperor or aquarians version. You can also pick up a thcker single ply head that all three companies offer in their line.

Either way heads do not last forever.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggo32 View Post
G2's are great drum heads. A lot of drummers use that combo including me.
You should do a tap test for 2ply heads to make sure you get a tone. Sounds to me that your due for a head change. Try a remo emperor or aquarians version. You can also pick up a thcker single ply head that all three companies offer in their line.

Either way heads do not last forever.
These are both brand new right outta the box heads both the resonant and batter.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 AM
Silver Member

Ok then return them and get a set that are good. the g2 will provide exactly what you want (warm full sound). You may run into the same problem with all three companies. its kind of a crap shoot. I recommend going into an actual store and doing a tap test.