DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 AM

Default What heads for deep sound- Gretsch 18"

Hey Everyone,

I have a Gretsch Catalina club drumset. I just love my little baby bass (18") and I love how I can get a killer drum n' bass and jazz sound out of it. But I want to tune it down to get a fuller, more bass-heavy tone. I know there's only so much you can do with 18" (width that is), but any suggestions for getting a lower sound for the Heads?
Resonant head especially.

Thanks! And any suggestions on padding and tuning are also appreciated.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What heads for deep sound- Gretsch 18"

Well, an 18 only goes so low. A thicker reso can help, maybe an Aquarian regulator.
Remo PS3 batter. No padding. Others will have plenty of options too. Enjoy that punchy kick.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:09 AM

I use Remo's Powersonic batter, with the little snap-on pillow attached, on my Gretch CCJ 18" bass drum.
Love it!

\,,/
Old 07-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

If you deaden the overtones, the fundamental will sound louder. I had an 18" Mapex kick with a Hydraulic batter head that did the trick.
The trade-off, of course, is that it's 'deader' sounding with less ring and sustain.

Also, I got a used Yamaha 18" kick that had a PS3 batter, and a stock ported head.
I didn't like the large port so switched it to a solid head. Then it had a bit too much ring and sustain, so I ran an old fashioned strip of felt across the resonant head, and really like the sound now.
Can't say for sure if I can tune it lower now though.

As you know, there's only so low of a sound you can get with an 18". If you try everything you can think of, and still aren't getting what you're after, I'd say consider trying to get a matching larger kick to go with your set, to mix and match.
Two other options would be to mic it, and run it through an EQ to boost the lows, or to run a trigger setup to have your choice of sampled sounds to mix with the acoustic sound from your bass.

Any of those three options are going to be significantly more expensive than living with the best sound you can get from your 18" kick though.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:56 PM

My Guitar Center didn't have ANY 18" reso heads.... oh well.

I got an Evans EQ pad. I know I know, some think they're a rip, but it is working wonders far beyond any of my pillow/towel/etc combinations. Takes out the ringing overtones and REALLY brings out the Low End! -while still keeping that punch.

I might just order a head off line. Any other head combo suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 AM

I use the Emad Clear bass drum head as the batter, and the front resonant I do not use any holes in the front. I use a remo pad where the beaters hit the head. I use Aquarian Modern Vintage on all the tom and snare batters.

The kit is great, easy to carry around and has a great sound. It fits in my compact car very easy.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_machine View Post
I use the Emad Clear bass drum head as the batter, and the front resonant I do not use any holes in the front. I use a remo pad where the beaters hit the head. I use Aquarian Modern Vintage on all the tom and snare batters.

The kit is great, easy to carry around and has a great sound. It fits in my compact car very easy.
+1 on the Emad. I had a CCJ kit and used an Emad with the factory resonant head and no muffling and it was a killer sound. I also had a Kelly Shu mount with an Audix D6 in the center of the drum with a 5' mic cable coming out of the hole where the tom mount would go and that sounded huge through our PA.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

You could try emperors on both sides. The thicker head will tune up to a lower pitch, and an unmuffled head will have the most volume.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 AM

These drums Do fit perfectly in my trunk. Love it.

Anyone know about Renaissance heads? I'm looking at getting an emperor head for the reso for sure. But then they all are labeled as Batter. Are they fit for reso?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:26 PM

On both my kits, (Gretsch 18" bass & Pearl 22" bass) I am using the stock heads. Other than the stock heads, I have not experimented with the resonant head.

I usually have to change the heads when I buy new drums, I have to assume that the resonant head on the bass is so large that the thickness is not much of a factor.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

On my CCJ kit I first tried a Remo Powerstroke 3 as the batter with the stock front head. It was OK. Then I switched the batter head to an Evans EQ3, and it sounded a bit deeper. Then I switched the front stock head with and Evans EQ3 Resonant, and I also put an Evans EQ Pad inside. The EQ Pad is not touching the heads; it is just lying on the bottom. That is how I got the best bass from that 18" CCJ bass drum. If I take the EQ Pad out, it does not sound as good. Putting a folded towel would probably get the job done, but I already had the EQ Pad sitting on a shelf. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark

Last edited by Drumolator; 08-13-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:55 AM
Gold Member

On mine I'm using a Diplomat Fiberskyn on the batter and an Amb Fiberskyn with a port on the reso side (both Powerstroke). No additional muffling (empty). Sounds pretty good. I might try an Emad in the future.