DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 AM

Default Best Drum Heads for Ludwig Element Fusion (6 piece)

Hi ... i used to own an electronic drum set and now im going acoustic
im getting the ludwig fusion 6 piece drum kit
here it is :
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LUDLCB622PX
so i dont know much about heads and whatnot.. so im asking you what heads to get for this set...
thank you very much ... :)
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Best Drum Heads for Ludwig Element Fusion (6 piece)

any help please ...!!
fyi .. i dont have enough money to spend on experimenting with drum heads .. thats why i need your advice.. and thank you :)
Old 07-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Best Drum Heads for Ludwig Element Fusion (6 piece)

First, search around for answers. Going to electric to acoustic is a huge change. There will be lots of overtones and ringing you don't hear on an electronic kit. Your first reaction will probably be to try to muffle those tones out. Get used to them, and get REALLY good at tuning. Search for Bob Gatzen on YouTube.
As far as heads go, on the bottom of the drums (reso) most people go with a clear 1-ply head like an Evans G1, Remo Ambassador, or Aquarian Classic Clear. On top, You can do the same, or another popular option is a 2-ply head on top - Evans G2, Remo Emperor, Aquarian Response-2 - coated or clear or whatever. Batters are more important usually to replace first. As far as 1-ply vs. 2-ply goes, it will be hard to tell which you prefer. You can buy one of each from your brand of choice, for just one tom and try both, then go buy the rest of the set for the head you like most. Don't worry too much about which brand to get, it's a debate that will never end amongst drummers as to which is the best. I like Aquarian - great coating and service, and a reliable product.
On the snare, do whatever on top, just make sure you get the special thin 'snare side' heads for the bottom. They are a lot thinner to increase sensitivity. These are the Evans 300, Remo Ambassador Snare Side, and the Aquarian Classic Clear Snare Side.