DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Gold Member

Default Anyone else send an email to Remo about their coating?

After many, and I mean many instances of Remo's coating wearing off almost instantly on the heads I've gotten (coated emp, coated CS reverse dot, coated ambassador, coated vintage emp) I sent an email to their customer service department to explain my frustration and see if they are aware of the problem. Of course, on a previous email about the topic submitted some 2 years ago, the reply was very generic, not really recognizing a problem, and stating that they stand behind the coating 100%. Well, the coating 100% sucks from my perspective and it is a major problem and concern IMO. I've since switched brands for some applications, but I love the Remo sound and wish this wasn't an issue. It was never an issue in the past, but in the last year or so it has been really bad. Anyone else fire off an email to Remo about this topic?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Anyone else send an email to Remo about their coating?

This you?
http://support.remo.com/remoinc/topi...from_gsfn=true

As per their website:

"If you are unable to get your questions answered online or need more direct assistance please contact us by phone at 800-525-5134"
Old 07-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

Yep, that's me. They've contacted me and vowed to take care of me. I'm not looking for free heads, I just want them to be like they used to be and have a coating that wears slowly over time. I actually really like the Evans heads that I had to switch to, so I'm not sure what to do. I guess I should talk to them and give them some feedback.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

By the way, it looks like the folks at Remo are looking at these threads and seem to have a genuine concern about it. I haven't seen an admittance of a problem or a reason behind why this is happening, but they do reach out to try to keep happy customers....at least that's something positive.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 PM

I am glad you took initiative to talk to them. I replaced heads with new Remo coated recently and snare drum coating wore away almost instantly. Unless they make an obvious fix, I don't plan on buying Remo again. If they hear of enough issues, they will fix the problem.

Last edited by JimmyTheMonkey; 07-20-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:07 AM
audiotech

I was just re-seating the Remo Ambassador coated heads on my DW Classic kit and mine also have premature coating wear. If I have a chance I'll take a picture of it. The one redeeming fact is, I still get a great sound out of the Remo heads even though there is physical coating damage, unlike what I'm hearing from some brand new Evans G2 and G2 coated heads lately. If I could find the Aquarian heads I want to try, one of my kits would be wearing them.

Dennis
Old 07-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

I feel so lucky! I would certainly email them if I had a problem, but so far, so good. In fact, I just bought a new set of heads, and still no issues.

I can't say I've never had the coating wear, but never what I consider prematurely, only after very extended play.

Who knows?
Old 07-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
If I could find the Aquarian heads I want to try, one of my kits would be wearing them.
music123 usually has all the Aquarian models at good prices and free shipping in the USA.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

I've never once had a problem with a Remo head and I've been playing mostly Remo since I started ten years ago. I would appear to be very lucky.

I'm disappointed that this is happening to other people. I think Remo make great heads and I think they sound fantastic. I swear by their 'Vintage A' heads on my snares whenever I can find them. Right now I feel very fortunate.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
music123 usually has all the Aquarian models at good prices and free shipping in the USA.
And if that doesn't work, then buy Evans. I have nothing but Evans and have a lot of smooth white heads where the roughness has smoothed down but the coating is still there. Large corporations only understand the bottom line, they won't listen to users because every one that complains another praises. Stop buying and they may get the hint.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 AM

cdrums 21, I posted the thread in the Remo forum about the coating issue and it still gets hit's once in awhile of other people fed up with the coating. I even stated that whomever made the decision to switch coatings should be "FIRED." Some of the replies from Remo the claim to be "defective." So it just happens every head I've been buying is defective. I actually got kind of aggressive with them about the issue because of you claim in your findings as well..." their coating does 100% suck!"

I honestly think the need to go back to the old coating and invest in a way to spray them in a contained environment. They need to keep the product they became famous for!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
. The one redeeming fact is, I still get a great sound out of the Remo heads even though there is physical coating damage, unlike what I'm hearing from some brand new Evans G2 and G2 coated heads lately.

Dennis
Yeah the coating wearing off so soon does not degrade the sound from what I can tell as well, so it's just an aesthetic thing. I would really like to see remo solve this because I do like how their heads sound.

On another note....aquarian must love the problems remo is having, hehe.

I would bet that if aquarian could get their product out to more local stores, remo would have a campfire lit under their a** and get serious about fixing this issue. I say this because aquarians heads are fantastic on quality, reliability, longevity and sound.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:09 AM
Renegade

Good on you, Ian. I like the Remo sound best but I play a lot of brushes and I find the Remo coating is much less durable than that of Evans and Aquarian.

I have a fairly worn Remo on my snare now and most likely will replace it with an Evans. The sound isn't quite as warm to my ear but it's still pretty good and the coating maintains friction for sweeping for a long time. I like Aquarians too but Allens Music / Billy Hyde never seems to have them.

Soundcloud stream
Old 07-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

I emailed and then called them a while back. They sent me replacement CAs and an extra CAX. They all wore in one medium volume dance/rock gig. I have not purchased another Remo product in months.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 AM
PDPx7Drummer

I haven't. (Not being a fanboy here) but my Ambassador X's are doing well. There is some wear but there is no clear showing through like what was posted by another member here just the other day. I swear. I could take some pics if needed. They won't be great but you should be able to see.

Actually I'm tired of saying that and I think I'll go get me a camera at a decent price....
Old 07-20-2012, 11:54 AM

I had the same issues with REMO coatings someing off. It was very frustrating. Seemed like it would come off easily on your stick and reapply it to your cymbals. I got so frustrated I moved to Evans non coated heads. Guess I should have given REMO a description of my problem as well. I have used their stuff religiously since I started playing.

Glad they are working with you.

DC
Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

Out of 8 drums that I have fitted with coated CA's, only two had the coating chip off almost immediately when installed.

So is this a problem with their coating process or is it a quality control issue?

My guess is it's a quality control issue!
Old 07-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
I emailed and then called them a while back. They sent me replacement CAs and an extra CAX. They all wore in one medium volume dance/rock gig. I have not purchased another Remo product in months.
The rep who contacted me was probably going to offer replacements for my worn heads, but honestly, I really don't want them and have the same scenario as above happen to me. I still use Powerstroke 3's, clear ambassadors for reso's on toms and snare, but the coated snare head of choice is an Evans and I'm quite happy with it.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was just re-seating the Remo Ambassador coated heads on my DW Classic kit and mine also have premature coating wear. If I have a chance I'll take a picture of it. The one redeeming fact is, I still get a great sound out of the Remo heads
Yea the sound doesn't really change, and it is mostly aesthetic, but I did stop using my two defective heads I have because I don't like the dusty feeling/taste I get in my mouth from breathing that shit in while its flaking off at warp speed :|
Old 07-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Gold Member

I thought it was strange that the emperror on my snare started to wear funny. The coating was actually missing in the stick marks instead if that nice, circular wear pattern I was used to. This head is only a couple of months old and it still sounds fine, just wearing out the coating quickly.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

Yeah, the sound doesn't seem to be affected much, if at all. But, if you're a fanatic about having a clean looking set up for as long as possible, like me, it's an issue. Plus the pieces of coating become imbedded in my stick tips and transferred to my clear tom heads and makes them look crappy way to quickly as well.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:12 PM

I agree that Remo coating generally wears off faster than Evans or Aquarian, though I have gotten very good life out of a 14" CA that I have been using for 7 months. Surpisingly, I have some coated single ply Attack heads on my toms that are are holding up amzingly well. little wear in the coating and the sound gets better as the heads age. I keep putting off replacing them because the sounds keeps getting sweeter.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 PM
audiotech

Quote:
I was just re-seating the Remo Ambassador coated heads on my DW Classic kit and mine also have premature coating wear. If I have a chance I'll take a picture of it. The one redeeming fact is, I still get a great sound out of the Remo heads even though there is physical coating damage, unlike what I'm hearing from some brand new Evans G2 and G2 coated heads lately. If I could find the Aquarian heads I want to try, one of my kits would be wearing them.

Dennis

This along with my 14" and 16" floor tom batter heads have similar damage after about a week of non aggressive playing.

Dennis
Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

I posted this on Kg_Lee's thread, and thought I'd post on this one too, since people are sharing pics.

The first picture is a 16" coated Emperor that is over two years old and has been on two different floor toms. Granted, it doesn't take the punishment a snare head does, but this head has still been played hard, a LOT.

Second pic is a new 14" coated Ambassador which I got a few days ago, and put on the snare yesterday. It has about three hours time on it.

Third pic is a 13" coated Ambassador that I purchased almost a year ago, but just got around to using a few weeks ago. It has about twenty hours on it now, including several nights as host drum of an open jam, where it is used by some drummers with highly questionable technique.

I don't mean to say people are NOT having trouble with the coating on Remo heads. I just mean to say that it is certainly not a universal problem...
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

This along with my 14" and 16" floor tom batter heads have similar damage after about a week of non aggressive playing.

Dennis
This is what happened to my Remo heads on my Gretsch USA's (Permatones) after about the same time period and kept getting worse. I've swapped them with Evans G1's and no issues. I went with the G1s as they are on another set I played almost exclusively for a year until I got the USA's and they still have no signs of flaking.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I posted this on Kg_Lee's thread, and thought I'd post on this one too, since people are sharing pics.

The first picture is a 16" coated Emperor that is over two years old and has been on two different floor toms. Granted, it doesn't take the punishment a snare head does, but this head has still been played hard, a LOT.

Second pic is a new 14" coated Ambassador which I got a few days ago, and put on the snare yesterday. It has about three hours time on it.

Third pic is a 13" coated Ambassador that I purchased almost a year ago, but just got around to using a few weeks ago. It has about twenty hours on it now, including several nights as host drum of an open jam, where it is used by some drummers with highly questionable technique.

I don't mean to say people are NOT having trouble with the coating on Remo heads. I just mean to say that it is certainly not a universal problem...
Now that's how they should look and how I remember them when they were having no problems. You're lucky man, the pictures put up by audiotech are much more the norm for me :(