DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-19-2012, 05:29 AM

Default Remo coating issue.

I randomly try Remo heads to see how their efforts on the new coating are going. Still no luck! I remember when their coating would last months but those days are long gone. I personally feel the coated head is the best head for the snare drum which is why I use them. I have recently tested the Evans G2 coated and it lasted 9 months of hard playing before I broke through a very small spot in the coating. The other head was an Attack medium coated which I love with a price tag of $9.99 and sounds incredible. Not sure where Remo has gone wrong but my quest for a quality coated head is going to be in another company.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Remo coating issue.

Wow what a difference! Have you contacted Remo and asked about it?

I have been using Aquarian and been having great luck with them.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Page Dude View Post

I have been using Aquarian and been having great luck with them.
Its not luck. Aquarian is clearly doing something different than Remo in their process.

I ma trying all 3 competitors at the moment and am slowly switching over to Aquarian (as much a s I love Remo, Aq are also cheaper). They should be reading this website with all the bad press.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 AM

Remo has replaced many of my heads numerous times. I even questioned them "what are they going to do keep replacing my heads?" They claim to be working on the process but I see nothing different. They are currently sending me 4 snare heads to try but when I emailed the pictures of this head I took every 10 minutes for an hour, I got no reply.

I did try aquarian heads but they are not for me. I normally try to stay with one brand but I've been playing so long that I'm more about what works and sounds the best that means if mixing brands.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kg_lee View Post
Remo ... claim to be working on the process but I see nothing different. They are currently sending me 4 snare heads to try but when I emailed the pictures of this head I took every 10 minutes for an hour, I got no reply.
This will likely take time. Rome wasn't built in a day. I read they had to change their coating to be more environmentally friendly, and lead to the new coating problems.

Like you I prefer old tried and true Remo - even a better logo! But I'm not a pro and the difference in $5 per head makes a difference to me.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

I switched to Aquarian quite a few years ago and never looked back, it was before Remo started having a coating problem but it didnt matter, they just sounded better, lasted 3 to 4 times longer before going dead and the cheaper price was just a bonus.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

You said you used a g2 coated and lasted for 9 months right? Why not try a coated g1.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know what I do differently than you, but I NEVER have this happen on any Remo head.
Even after months.
It's very odd, because many people have this happen.
NOT that I want it to happen, but it's just weird.

Attack's regular heads are not for me, but I was looking into the Bozzio heads, and they are made with the traditional Dupont Mylar, have the crimped head and low collar.
Price is very nice too.

I used Aquarian heads for a bit, and really liked them. Then they changed their film (way back when). I put a fresh set of the new film heads on for a gig, and they dented to crap on me in 20 minutes!! That sucked. Before the film change they were very sturdy--jut like an Ambassador is for me.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I don't know what I do differently than you, but I NEVER have this happen on any Remo head.
Even after months.

I don't play every day, but also have not had this happen with Remo heads either. I've neer had a head liek that after 10 minutes playing. My Remos wear pretty much like other's I've had.

But I am wondering if this has to do with weather/climate somewhat. People in more arid versus humid parts of the continent experiencing the Remo flaking. Or how they are stored in music stores in different climates.
This certainly has an effect on wood properties/aging.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Out of the 3 Coated Amb. snare heads I've owned, 2 have had this problem and have been purchased recently (within the last year). The third was purchased over a year ago (came with a Chad Smith snare), and is still going strong.

There's a lot more like this in this thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91663
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I used Aquarian heads for a bit, and really liked them. Then they changed their film (way back when). I put a fresh set of the new film heads on for a gig, and they dented to crap on me in 20 minutes!! That sucked. Before the film change they were very sturdy--jut like an Ambassador is for me.
Strange, I have never had that happen to an Aquarian head ( I only use single plys to) and I can actually get a lot more life than I do from either Remo or Evans. I find Remo can start to go dead after just a few weeks of playing and Evans after 3 or 4 months but I can get 8 months to a year out of the Aquarians.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Even after months.

Attack's regular heads are not for me, but I was looking into the Bozzio heads, and they are made with the traditional Dupont Mylar, have the crimped head and low collar.
Price is very nice too.

I don't think you do anything differently than most of us Karl, but I can tell you that it's happened to me at least a dozen times. I think I'm alot like you in that we're roughly the same age, have alot of experience, play similar kits and like the same type of sounds. I'm very fussy about my equipment and I purposely try to play "smart", with both my cymbals and drums....sounds like you do too. I have had the coating on a CS reverse dot head and a standard coated emperor that I just bought come right off within minutes of playing my snare. It used to never happen, so I know something is up, it's a very real problem. Why you haven't experienced it yet......I really can't say? I hope you don't, it sucks.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:18 AM
audiotech

I originally had coating flaking problems with my 12" tom using Remo coated Ambassadors, now with my most recent head change, I have premature wear on my 12, 14 and 16" toms, again using Ambassador heads. I wonder if there is a difference in the way the coatings hold up with other Remo heads?

The funny thing is, I'm using a DW snare drum head made by Remo and there is no signs of the same type of wear.

Dennis
Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Silver Member

I haven't had the issue with the Vintage Emperors that I use on my toms but I have had it on several snare ,including Coated CS,Powerstroke X, Coated Emperor and Emperor X.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Could it be the lack of a bead on your sticks?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:34 AM

It was late today that Remo finally got back to me. Chris at Remo delayed the shipment of my heads to experiment for them cause he wanted new heads right off the line as they claim to be working on the problem.

I surprised that some of you never experienced the problem yet because it's every coated I buy from them. The last time I got coated heads from them that lasted was about 4 years ago.

If these new Remo heads don't work I'm sticking with the Attack snare medium coated snare head and trying the Remo white suede heads on the toms. If I don't like the suede heads I'm going back to using clear tom heads.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:54 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I originally had coating flaking problems with my 12" tom using Remo coated Ambassadors, now with my most recent head change, I have premature wear on my 12, 14 and 16" toms, again using Ambassador heads. I wonder if there is a difference in the way the coatings hold up with other Remo heads?

The funny thing is, I'm using a DW snare drum head made by Remo and there is no signs of the same type of wear.

Dennis
I thought that I would also include this picture in this thread that I shot today of my week old Remo Ambassador 12" batter head. The coating started to visibly fail from the very first day I put them on, but as I said in another thread, they still sound great. Another thing that I would like to mention is, all the sticks I have are in good condition without any tip chipping.

Dennis
Old 07-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Could it be the lack of a bead on your sticks?
I thought of that too, but, I didn't have any problems before either.
I've used all types of tip shapes as well. Yes, believe me, I'm thankful this hasn't happened to me!!

Dennis' head looks like the finish was pulverized before chips came off, but more likely just scraped off as the tips hit it.

Suede heads are kinda nice. They are open sounding like a clear, but with less slightly high end attack. That's what the couple I tried sounded like to me anyway.

I think what makes a Coated Ambassador more durable is the White film. That stuff is tough. I may not have a denting issue because of the double butt stick being a wider area striking the surface. I don't know, but other guys that used my kit at a show recently (that didn't hit hard) put a couple dents in the 16.

I was gonna try a couple of those Bozzio heads. I like the idea of traditional Mylar, and they are really inexpensive.
Wondering if they would be like Ludwig heads though, and kinda plastic-y sounding. Ludwig may use a different film than Dupont Mylar, because their heads don't sound like other brands at all.
Going to the shop tomorrow, so I may order one of the Bozzio Top Dot snare heads and a 12 just to check out.
I tried regular Attack heads before (regular 10 mil, and something else) and the sound was not for me at all. The Dupot Mylar may be good though.

Well, good luck with the replaced heads KG.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

OK, with folks posting pics, I thought I'd join in.

The first picture is a 16" coated Emperor that is over two years old and has been on two different floor toms. Granted, it doesn't take the punishment a snare head does, but this head has still been played hard, a LOT.

Second pic is a new 14" coated Ambassador which I got a few days ago, and put on the snare yesterday. It has about three hours time on it.

Third pic is a 13" coated Ambassador that I purchased almost a year ago, but just got around to using a few weeks ago. It has about twenty hours on it now, including several nights as host drum of an open jam, where it is used by some drummers with highly questionable technique.

I don't mean to say people are NOT having trouble with the coating on Remo heads. I just mean to say that it is certainly not a universal problem...
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

The picture of the 16" coated emperor is what the heads should look like after playing for a while. The "dirty" spot in the middle of the head is proof it's been hit alot at that spot, but no evidence of wear on the coating at all. In the past, that's what all of my coated Remo heads looked like. Now....well, it's just not the same. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I hope they get a grip on why this is happening, I love the sound and it would be great if the coating lasted like the pics in the post above.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
OK, with folks posting pics, I thought I'd join in.

The first picture is a 16" coated Emperor that is over two years old and has been on two different floor toms. Granted, it doesn't take the punishment a snare head does, but this head has still been played hard, a LOT.

Second pic is a new 14" coated Ambassador which I got a few days ago, and put on the snare yesterday. It has about three hours time on it.

Third pic is a 13" coated Ambassador that I purchased almost a year ago, but just got around to using a few weeks ago. It has about twenty hours on it now, including several nights as host drum of an open jam, where it is used by some drummers with highly questionable technique.

I don't mean to say people are NOT having trouble with the coating on Remo heads. I just mean to say that it is certainly not a universal problem...
I don't understand where the dirt comes from. I have heads that are 6 months old that aren't dirty. I can't imagine the dirt is good for the finish.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

ID's head pics are what all mine look like after a while.

I have CA's on one of my kits that need changing after a couple years (rehearsal kit), and the heads have the same exact brown-ish color in the center.
Stick tips get dirty, so the discolor can't be avoided it seems (on Remo's at least).
However, I had a set of Evans heads about 10 years ago that looked brand new until I changed them after 6-7 months. The companies use different coatings, so maybe that's why?

I've had a few of my Top Dot Coated Emps on the snares for a year (just sounded great, so never changed them), and the contact spots were very dirty, but the coating never came off, it just became smooth.

I generally like the sound of Evans heads, but, they haven't offered a non-muffled bass drum head in 26, and I hate the giant logo they use.

The logo itself is fine, I just hate how huge it is. I HAVE tried to "get over it", but, I can't.

Maybe it should be a lesson for manufacturers, because I'm sure I'm not the only person that hates giant logos.

I'm a graphic designer, so I know a logo needs to be seen, but the days of MTV videos (where "products" were featured) are long gone.
We don't need logos twice as large as they need to beanymore.

If something sounds and works great, we will buy it.
The general viewing public doesn't care what a Remo, or Zildjian (or "whatever") even is, and they don't buy the stuff.

With people (& companies) making YouTube videos by the millions (on everything, and explaining everything in detail) along with net ads being seen by worldwide mega-numbers in our email banners (greater than MTV ever had), we don't need a billboard on our gear too.

Since I have no problems with Remo (and love the sound of them anyway), I use them.
Ascetically, Remo's logo is a reasonable size, even though it's larger than it used to be.

I'd be open to use Evans too, if they offered a bass drum head that wasn't pre-muffled, and didn't have a giant logo.
I could, & have, cut out muffle rings, but I don't want the huge logo, so I won't use the product. If I could use something to get the logo off a coated head, I might do that, but the coating comes off too....

Lots of people see my band(s) locally, but they don't see the tops of the heads. When another drummer (or FOH, or rental company) compliments the sound, and asks what I use, I tell them--and my experience with the product, if we get into a "gear" conversation :-)

Sorry for the book & mini rant :-)
Old 07-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

I'm with you on the logo thing. I have Paiste 2002 crashes and the logo on the top is gigantic and ugly IMO, plus the Paiste logo on the bottom is huge. It looks kinda cool viewing the kit from the floor when the kit is up high on a riser and you can see the Paiste logos underneath, but I would be just as happy with a small logo. Same goes for heads. Maybe if Evans had a small unintrusive "E" logo stamped on their heads, that would be cool.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I don't understand where the dirt comes from. I have heads that are 6 months old that aren't dirty. I can't imagine the dirt is good for the finish.
Haha, I never thought or worried about it! Tip types may be a factor. I would guess nylon tips cause less discoloration. But really, it's not a big deal to me.

Have you seen pics or videos from some of the drummers in the sixties and seventies? Some of those heads were nearly black, with a big old worn patch in the middle. My drum instructor's kit back in the seventies had those brown/black heads. Never seemed to bother him, either.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM

It is definitely not dirt. The coating just comes off quite easily. First picture is my Coated Emperor X snare after around 20 hours of playing. Second picture is my floor tom (Emperor Weatherking) after the same amount of time (obviously, I use it a lot less than the snare). The coating just comes off, revealing what lies below.

For me the most annoying thing about the product is the resulting aesthetics. The heads look beat up almost instantly and the coating starts to mark up the cymbals quite quickly as well. My hats looked white and spotty right as soon as I changed the heads.

For what it's worth, I use Pro Mark 5B wood tipped sticks. Nothing special there.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

That is weird. I've never seen the coating come off of my remo's happen that fast. I've never experienced that with Evans, either, though. I wonder if this happens with fiberskyns?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:06 PM

I amazed that there are a couple of you that have no issues. Where are you getting your heads? are they new old stock? I've gotten heads from Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, and several local music stores. This problem has happened to every head I bought no matter where I got it from. Remo claims it's a bad batch, I think I purchased from enough places over a period of time to rule that out.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I thought that I would also include this picture in this thread that I shot today of my week old Remo Ambassador 12" batter head. The coating started to visibly fail from the very first day I put them on, but as I said in another thread, they still sound great. Another thing that I would like to mention is, all the sticks I have are in good condition without any tip chipping.

Dennis
The same thing happened to the Permatone heads on my USA Customs within a very short time. I went to Evans G1's and no troubles.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

I put this Ambassador X on yesterday - it has less than 2 hours playing on it.

My questions to Remo, what can us drummers expect? 1 hour? 30 minutes? 1 minute, 1 hit? What is good enough for Remo?

Evans have a very helpful guy on this board - perhaps its time for somebody from Remo to join the board and defend your products? Surely you are reading this.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kg_lee View Post
I amazed that there are a couple of you that have no issues. Where are you getting your heads? are they new old stock? I've gotten heads from Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, and several local music stores. This problem has happened to every head I bought no matter where I got it from. Remo claims it's a bad batch, I think I purchased from enough places over a period of time to rule that out.
I get my heads mostly from Interstate Music, occasionally Musician's Friend, and even more rarely from local shops. I am sure, from the ad inserts (for subscriptions, etc) in the boxes that they are new stock.

I used that new 14" Ambassador in the picture again last night, hosting a 4+ hour open jam . Still no issues.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:07 PM

I bought an Aquarian head... going to see how long this thing lasts! I was told they last a long time. The price wasn't bad either $11, got it at a local music store.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

Put me in the camp of the people that are surprised this isn't happening to everyone. I've gone through lots of snares in the past 2 years and I always put new heads on them (almost always a Coated Ambassador on the batter side.)

Mine look like most of the pics in this thread within minutes. Could be 30 minutes or it could be 60 minutes, but it doesn't take long at all.

I just put a new Coated Vintage Emporer on, which I think has thicker coating? It sure feels like it. It also has the same marks after an hour.

I assumed this was normal, because it's happened to me consistently with probably 10 heads over the past year or two. Weird.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
This pic is for you, Mayor! This is on a house kit I used the other night. Couldn't help but snap a pic with my cellphone.

Just wanted to show you, Remos aren't the only heads that get dirty! lol (all in fun, Johnny)
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
This pic is for you, Mayor! This is on a house kit I used the other night. Couldn't help but snap a pic with my cellphone.

Just wanted to show you, Remos aren't the only heads that get dirty! lol (all in fun, Johnny)
Spray 9 will take that right off and other than the worn area being a bit dull it will look almost like new again.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Spray 9 will take that right off and other than the worn area being a bit dull it will look almost like new again.
You missed the "all in good fun" part! Not even my drum, just a little joke.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

I stopped using coated remo heads some time ago for this very reason and moved over to Evans G1 in place of ambasadors. Never had a problem since! the head wears out before the coating starts to lift.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

Hey! You stole my avatar! :)
Old 08-11-2012, 12:34 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatfreak83 View Post
Since D'Addario bought Evans and Pro Mark, the quality control of their sticks and heads has improved so much in the last year and anytime I get a bad head or stick they replace them right away. If you are having issues with Remote, switch to Evans.
When I switched to Evans heads, I too didn't believe that I would have to look back. I've been with Evans predominantly for about five years now and until about a month ago, everything was fine, then I started receiving "dead" heads from Evans. These were G2 clear and coated heads. After buying five (5) dead heads from mainly their "tom packs", I am again looking back. I believe Evans is blaming it on static. Why then is it just some heads within these packs? I still have three of these heads to return to my drum shop.

BTW, how many and what type of "bad" heads are you now receiving from Evans?

Dennis
Old 08-11-2012, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatfreak83 View Post
I used Aquarian heads for a few months and found that their coating flaked off just as quickly as Remo, even though they claim their coating lasts longer. Their coating doesnt flex with the head as much, which explains why it chips off so quickly.
Strange, In 15 years I have never had an Aquaian coated head chip, ever, and I play about 2 to 3 gigs a months plus about 4 rehearsals and 8 practice sessions per month and usually get almost a year out of them before they go dead which is more than twice as long as I can get form Evans and 3 to 4 times as ling as I can get from Remo. I have even cut studio rings from old coated Aquarian heads and when folded the coating still doesnt chip off but I am sure that if a few coated Aquarian heads did chip Roy would certainly replace them.

Last edited by tard; 08-11-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:56 PM

I bought a 14" coated Ambassador a few months ago, and today I put in on my snare.

I've played it for maybe 30 minutes and it shows no signs of wear or coating flaking. I guess I was lucky.....
Attached Images

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60