DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-19-2006, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke86
Red Alert is on the Lifetime album "Believe It".
Which, coincidentally, is one of my favorite albums of all time. Can't say the same for Million Dollar Legs.
I was thinking about the song 'Red Mask' on Angel street. I haven't heard it in a long time.

I'm not 100% on if its out of print, though I believe some of his are.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Pioneer Member

I just got his DVD from 1989 from Jazz Legends.com and it is incredible. You want to see someone who basically taught himself how to play and aspired to the level he was at is amazing. The songs are great and his playing is some of the best Jazz drumming I have ever heard.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:26 AM
Womble

I've just noticed a beautiful moment in the first Tony Williams vid, http://drummerworld.com/Videos/tonywilliams1.html, at 02:11, where Tony starts throwing stuff down and Wayne Shorter reacts instantly to give him the space to be heard; you can see him on the edge of playing a note a number of times but holds himself back. It's a great illustration of why it bothers me when band members don't give each other any room.

Either that or he's belching.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble
I've just noticed a beautiful moment in the first Tony Williams vid, http://drummerworld.com/Videos/tonywilliams1.html, at 02:11, where Tony starts throwing stuff down and Wayne Shorter reacts instantly to give him the space to be heard; you can see him on the edge of playing a note a number of times but holds himself back. It's a great illustration of why it bothers me when band members don't give each other any room.

Either that or he's belching.

Wow, that was really cool. I never really noticed that before. Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 AM

check out "agitation" with miles davis,the opening solo...just great! i also love "snake oil" from the new lifetime with allan holdsworth. plays that one heavy with a rock drummers' vibe. that guy was so original so intense,he's probably my favorite drummer still.also the live"a tribute to miles davis is good too.alan dawson certainly helped hone his God given abilities and he was a great drummer in his own right...
Old 08-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsjr44
I just got his DVD from 1989 from Jazz Legends.com and it is incredible. You want to see someone who basically taught himself how to play and aspired to the level he was at is amazing. The songs are great and his playing is some of the best Jazz drumming I have ever heard.
I though Alan Dawson had a lot to do with his formal musical training?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:09 PM
jamndrummer

Quote:
I though Alan Dawson had a lot to do with his formal musical training? by Superlow
That is correct! There may even be information about it in one of Dawsons books he taught out of.

http://www.pas.org/About/HOF/dawson.cfm

You can read some valuable information in this article.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
I though Alan Dawson had a lot to do with his formal musical training?
Yeah my teacher is a BIG fan of Tony and he has just started me doing some exercises from that Alan Dawson book...

I really never payed alot of attention to him but seems like alot of the guys I dig like Greg, Dennis and Steve ALL give Tony mad props...so I decided to start checking him out and he really is incredible....

I've only just begun to discover his talent....
Old 08-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer
Yeah my teacher is a BIG fan of Tony and he has just started me doing some exercises from that Alan Dawson book...

I really never payed alot of attention to him but seems like alot of the guys I dig like Greg, Dennis and Steve ALL give Tony mad props...so I decided to start checking him out and he really is incredible....

I've only just begun to discover his talent....
Well it's a beautiful thing, the man played with so much power and originality. I love his work with Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock. If you can get to the more avantegaurd stuff then you will most likely enjoy his solo work as well.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:26 AM

alan dawson's book is great...with 2 cd's of him teaching as recorded by a student(who also plays the examples in the book.) especially the "rudimental ritual" about a 10 minute workout of various rudiments over a samba ostinato.great workout even if you can't play it fast(which alan does,then he demonstrates with BRUSHES!) he also talks a little about tony and how he approaches the drums. he was a truly gifted teacher and drummer.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Silver Member

I was lucky enough to see him in clinic just months before he passed away.

He began the clinic with a double-stroke roll that he continued for a good 5 minutes, changing the rate, the dynamics.... then moved onto the rest of the kit piece by piece.. he didn't stop for 45 minutes. He was very arrogant and dodged question about other drummers, proclaiming "I'M TONY WILLIAMS.. they (Chambers, Colaiuta, Simon Phillips, etc) got that stuff from ME". Totally turned off my drum teacher at the time... but I loved it.

The man played with the same confidence he carried in life. Not only did my ears ring for days, due to the sheer power of his playing, but he changed my outlook on music forever.

I seriously cried when I read in Time magazine that he died. I had to get behind my kit and get those emotions out.

The most intelligent drummer... every note being 100% intentional and crisp.

Nobody ever played the drums like that and nobody ever will again.

Period.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:54 AM

i love tony's playing,VERY intense and true to himself. the way he used swiss army triplets,polyryhtymic figures,flams...the whole nine yards. certainly an innovator. to those new to drums that want to hear something different and exciting,get ahold of some miles davis' cd's with tony and the tony williams' lifetime and new lifetime cd's. he could also do the rock thing with the best of em'.but there did seem to be a bit of bitterness or insecurity in his attitude,but BR was arrogant like that so maybe that's the price of genius.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:46 AM

Tony's Blue Note albums in the '80s and '90s just like Angel Street and Civilization have been out of print since his tragic death, but now good news! Mosaic Records is going to release 3CD-set of Tony which contains all those studio albums of this period!!

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MS-024
Old 10-24-2006, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syoshii
Tony's Blue Note albums in the '80s and '90s just like Angel Street and Civilization have been out of print since his tragic death, but now good news! Mosaic Records is going to release 3CD-set of Tony which contains all those studio albums of this period!!

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MS-024
This is great news. This period constituted some of his best work. Foreign Intrigue was a top flight effort that featured some of Wallace Roney and Mulgrew Miller's best playing. Then the quintet with Charnett Moffett probably topped that. Mosaic always puts out monster compilations, and the enclosed booklets are superb.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith
This is great news. This period constituted some of his best work. Foreign Intrigue was a top flight effort that featured some of Wallace Roney and Mulgrew Miller's best playing. Then the quintet with Charnett Moffett probably topped that. Mosaic always puts out monster compilations, and the enclosed booklets are superb.
True, that band was just awesome!!
I hope Tony's New York Live video to be reissued too on DVD. That video is a killer!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Tony Williams...why yes, this guy is my Drumming Instructor's Idol. My Instructor try to play many of his style and my Instructor name is also call - Tony ...kekeke !

Tony Williams is a great drummer
Old 10-25-2006, 06:33 PM

The last time I saw Tony live was at a very small club in San Francisco, about he size of a cracker box, well at least it felt that way: I got to sit right in front of his kit, I could actually reach out and touch it , it was that close. Tony was wearing a gold shiny jump suit to match has yellow kit. Muscial drumming at it's best , smooth as silk: I still to this day can hardly
believe that I was able to sit so close to the master of bop, in a classic smoke filled dark jazz club, the kind you see in the movies where the band stand is the floor.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:13 AM

thombo,being a tony fan and never getting to see him, i understand he played quite LOUD live is that correct?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg
thombo,being a tony fan and never getting to see him, i understand he played quite LOUD live is that correct?
He blew my hair back a couple of times, just playing a single-stroke roll crescendo.

So yeah... but I would call it POWER, not "loudness".

There is a difference.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:38 AM

This months ModernDrummer features part 1 of a series they are doing on Tony. The Style and Analysis portion offers insight into the different aspects of his playing style, and some cool transcribed highlights as well...........

Last edited by HardcoreLogo; 10-27-2006 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Pioneer Member

Yea I saw the series too, and am currently workin on them. Really lookin forward to the 2nd part. I've been listening to ALOT of Tony Williams lately, just workin on his stuff is causin me to sweat. That man, god rest his soul, is definitely one of the greatest drummers ever.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Synthetik

I have a lot of Tony William's music. He has a lot of "rocker" in him. He is like a Bonham of jazz. Here's why:

Tony Williams was notoriously hard to impress, that is watching other drummers. He had no appreciation for any drummer that could not vary dynamics and play in the pocket. A lot of rock drummers have a tendency to do that.

Tony summoned a lot of power, but it was all in context of dynamic contrasts, not just loudness all the time, or for loudness sake. He did once say (paraphrasing) "Drums are meant to be hit."

He had that screaming yellow gretsch kit with tightly tuned remo cs black dots on top and bottom. He coaxed tonality, depth, power and variable dynamics from those drums. But he also knew how to bring on the thunder. He had a formidable signiture sound.

Listening to Tony Williams is also an easy introduction for rockers into jazz- because his force is easy to recognize.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg
Hey Dawg, SUP?.... no can't say he was loud....I'm a drummer too...a piano player might
think so though. But no, not really, just smooth and musical.

Later

Thombo
Old 10-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Pioneer Member

He was loud. Louder than other jazz musicians that's for sure. He also played with aggression too! I was listening to this album, "My Funny Valentine live in New York" I think it was or something like that, and I remember hearing a story behind that show. Miles Davis told his band that they won't be gettin paid for that gig, which obviously angered Tony Williams and the rest. I could totally sense his aggression, and that album, is now one of my favorite albums of all time. Amazing.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Does anyone know any other albums apart from 'Seven Steps to Heaven' that hes appeared on with Miles Davis, which aren't live albums?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Synthetik

I don't know for sure, but Tony seemed to be in touch with Afro-cuban rythms as well. Some of the rythms he played were cyclic, tribal and yes...aggressive.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:17 AM

ESP and sketches of spain are 2 that come to mind...i realize my last question regarding tony's volume playing live may have sounded dumb,but i just wanted confirmation by drummers that saw him live regarding his volume (and or power?) that what i heard in his later years on his live albums(like tokyo live) was indeed a great representation of his playing.thanks.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:24 AM

rendezvous, i read that too in miles autobiography...i believe that was when the live album "four and more" was recorded. it may have been re-released under another title.miles also said if tony was mad at anybody in the band, he wouldn't support them during their solo! i highly recommend that book for jazzbos, i've read it twice,it's an honest and fascinating look at miles the man and his great bands.it's hard to put down.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks
Does anyone know any other albums apart from 'Seven Steps to Heaven' that hes appeared on with Miles Davis, which aren't live albums?
As for studio recording, Tony also appeared on ESP, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles in the Sky, Filles de Kilimanjaro and In a Silent Way. As for live album, he appeared on In Europe, My Funny Valentine, Four & More, Miles In Tokyo, Miles In Berlin and The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel (box set). Later, My Funny Valentine and Four & More were coupled together and released as a full-concert 2CD album in US only titled The Complete Concert 1964.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Senior Pro Drummer

During 59/60 My lesson with Alan Dawson was followed by Tony Williams
lesson. Alan would ask Tony to come in and we would play
together . Tony would say "does that sound even?" If we said
NO ;;;;; He would say "GOOD'" HE meant it''''''''
Tony was really doing his very musical ''concept;' of his teacher Alan
Dawson and only scratched the surface;;;;;;;......
I miss them both////
Butch Axsmith
Old 11-03-2006, 12:17 AM

The bottom line is that Tony was one one of the greatest drummers ever. You could recognize him by his playing, drum sound and his fearless approach. The guy had great technique and always played with a lot of attitude.

I would go to Blues Alley in DC to see him and would get there hours early just so I could sit right up front for a good view. God he was incredible.

To anyone unfamiliar with his playing PLEASE do yourself a favor and check him out.

Many of the most famous drummers (Ringo, Peart, Beauford, etc.) always seem to have their detractors or critics (Yeah I respect his playing but it's just not what I'm into,etc.)
But I have yet to hear ANY drummer from any style not dig Tony Williams. He's THAT cool!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:42 AM
Pioneer Member

I really envy you guys for having the oppurtunity to see Tony Williams. Simple an amazing musician.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:41 AM

Mosaic Select: Tony Williams just came out!
I bought it from Mosaic direct and enjoyed it very much. Yeah, he is genious!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:34 AM

Tonys swiss army triplet stuff is what does it for me. unreal. and to think he inspired so many modern greats like Vinnie, Greg and more, what a legend. A fearless drummer who could play at any dynamc or any speed, one of the great early fusion drummers in my opinion.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:29 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Blazing Tony

Tony was a very talented jazz musician and one of my greatest influences. He managed to create a screen of sounds and executed it with such originality. Tony's soloing was very clean and precise, warm and sensitive, and overflowed with emotion. Every jazz musician acknowledges the contributions that he brought to the jazz community.

Last edited by tomgrosset; 02-20-2007 at 01:30 AM. Reason: edited after merging threads (DogBreath)
Old 01-04-2007, 04:19 PM

my favorite album thus far w/ tony (at least at this point in time) is sam rivers' "fuschia swing song". if you havent checked this album out, do it. particularly if youre an early tony fan. this album was recorded pre lifetime and i think it really shows the height of tony's more straight ahead oriented playing. lots of "mood" solos all over the record, splashing hi hats, etc. fantastic....

any other votes for favourite tony albums?

Last edited by DogBreath; 01-16-2007 at 05:32 AM. Reason: edited after merging threads
Old 01-04-2007, 11:07 PM

I had the pleasure to be able to study with Tony Williams years ago in San Francisco. It was a dream come true. Tony is my all time hero, both as a drummer and musician. I was so scared to meet him after talking with him on the phone (I couldn't believe I was talking to the Great Tony Williams), but when I finally met him for the first time, he was kind, gracious, and friendly. When it came down to lesson time, he was dead serious. He was one of the great drum ambassodors, because he demanded that the drums were equal to any other instrument in the band, and as a drummer, that you respect the instrument, the history of it, and the music first.

He said to me, "I'm here because I stood on the shoulders of Giants".

Not enough can be said about Tony. The one thing that always makes me smile to this day is not really drum related, but one time, while standing outside of Drum World in San Francisco with Tony, we started talking about American football. He really knew a lot about it. He would talk about the old Quarterbacks he watched back in the day, the great teams and such, and I asked him who his favorite team was.

He said " The San Francisco 49ers, of course".

Being a huge 49er fan myself, I was absolutely beaming.

God Bless Tony Williams.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Axsmith View Post
During 59/60 My lesson with Alan Dawson was followed by Tony Williams
lesson. Alan would ask Tony to come in and we would play
together . Tony would say "does that sound even?" If we said
NO ;;;;; He would say "GOOD'" HE meant it''''''''
Tony was really doing his very musical ''concept;' of his teacher Alan
Dawson and only scratched the surface;;;;;;;......
I miss them both////
Butch Axsmith
I worship you.

Yes, Tony is definitely a musical genius with ideas and technique like no other.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:51 AM
Pioneer Member

My favorite Tony Williams album has to be 'Believe It'.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Pioneer Member

Mr.Tony William was well recognised & accredited for his skills and contribution by many Professional Drummers of todays as written in Magazines, in many Drumming DVDs....and especially from many of the lucky people here, who had the priviledge to learn from this GREAT.......

Last edited by DogBreath; 01-16-2007 at 05:32 AM. Reason: edited after merging threads