DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-11-2012, 05:04 AM

Default Better bass drum resonant heads from these two?

so i am stuck on deciding which of these two heads i should use as a bass drum reso... its between the Remo fyberskin 3 (powerstroke 3 model) or Remo powertroke 4. i play a Mapex meridian maple manhattan kit, its a jazz drum set, therefore i use an 18'' bass drum. i bought this kit purposely because i love the sizes and sound of smaller drums. i am not in any way going for a jazz sound, i am planning on tuning the kit lower and punchier. for tom and floor tom i have coated emperors over clear ambassadors, for snare i am using coated powerstroke 3 for batter and hazy ambassador as reso. for bass drum beater side i have a remo powersonic and still am debating on a good reso that i should get. once again, i am going for a punchy low sound with good but not too much sustain. note that i am using thick heads on all my drum beater sides. any suggestions on which of these two heads would work for a reso? i love the way the fyberskin looks and i know it comes on either ambassador or diplomay sizes. surprisingly the people ive asked (even at guitar center) dont know that there is also a powerstroke fyberskin with ambassador/ diplomat choice. does this head have the inner extra ring that the regular clear powerstroke 3 has? as for the P4 i know it is a double ply head which would be my other option if the fyberskin has too much resonance. also i am not planning on using any muffling system whatsoever! all natural punch... any help i would appreciate! thanx!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Better bass drum resonant heads from these two?

Theoretically, on a smaller bass drum, I would go for a single-ply wide open reso head. A little bit of ring is a good thing as this helps projection, and really, ten feet in front of the kit, you won't hear the bass drum ring at all. In fact, this is why 18" bass drums have that 'jazz' sound - so you can tell it's a bass drum and not a cardboard box. If you're going modern with it, then I suspect you'll put a hole in it and mic' it up, right? At that point, it won't matter what reso head you have.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 AM

well, i read that a port hole on an 18'' would kill the tone since its so small. im planning on not having a reso hole. my goal is to make this bass drum sound fat and punchy. of course i know i wont get the fuller sound from a 22'' since i own a bigger kit and ive compared but i just want to be able to test the tuning range of this kit. ive read some reviews that say that the mapex manhattan is a little different from most typical jazz kits since its shells are a little thicker also a more modern approach to it (which is why i went for this kit). i just want to be able to find a good punch without having to use muffling. i play indie/electronic stuff so an open sound is not for me and im not planning on using this jazz kit for what it is meant for tuning wise.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrealSound View Post
well, i read that a port hole on an 18'' would kill the tone since its so small. im planning on not having a reso hole. my goal is to make this bass drum sound fat and punchy. of course i know i wont get the fuller sound from a 22'' since i own a bigger kit and ive compared but i just want to be able to test the tuning range of this kit. ive read some reviews that say that the mapex manhattan is a little different from most typical jazz kits since its shells are a little thicker also a more modern approach to it (which is why i went for this kit). i just want to be able to find a good punch without having to use muffling. i play indie/electronic stuff so an open sound is not for me and im not planning on using this jazz kit for what it is meant for tuning wise.
Perhaps I wasn't clear? It needs to be a bit open anyway for projection, so you're going to have a bit of ring that only you will hear. By the time it gets to audience they're not going to notice it. But back in the day, I got a great punch out of a 18" bass drum (14 inches deep) by using remo pinstripes front and back and the drum was wide open. Tuned down it had this great gut punch, but there was a little bit of ring that it needs to project that punch.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 AM

I see, it makes alot of sense. i do notice that from hearing a kit from far away and actually playing it. will do. thanx alot man, you really helped!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrealSound View Post
I see, it makes alot of sense. i do notice that from hearing a kit from far away and actually playing it. will do. thanx alot man, you really helped!
You're welcome ;) It's hard to get out of that headspace where what you hear is what you think everyone else hears. Believe me, it took me years to learn that lesson. If you sat behind my kit now you'd probably freak out about how much everything rings and eventually blends together. But if you listen to Led Zeppelin and bands of that ilk, it's the ring that gave them that sound. And the audience can only recognize that as the sound of real, living, breathing drums!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, the ring you here when playing the drums without any other instruments playing translates to good tone from out in front when they are played in a band, Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater