DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 07-11-2012, 04:22 AM

Default Iron Cobra vs Speed Cobra?

What exactly are the differences? The prices are the same.

Speed Cobra: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...ass-drum-pedal

Iron Cobra: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...e-double-pedal (I see there are two versions of the chain model, the power lied and the rolling glide. Is the difference just that the power glide goes back toots original position immediately while the rolling glide is more relaxed?).

I need a pedal with immediate response and no lag time.

Anyways between the Iron Cobra and the Speed Cobra, which do you recommend?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Iron Cobra vs Speed Cobra?

The speed cobra has a longer footboard, a triangular felt beater to help projection, different ball bearings, different springs, a round and lighter cam. They also increased the angle of the chain. All of this is done to supposidely increase the speed.

Last edited by RcKDrUmm3R; 07-12-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Spelling error LOL
Old 07-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Gold Member

I have used both and like the speed cobra better, to me the difference is night and day. I have more speed, power and accuracy with the speed cobra over the iron cobra but thats me, no easy way about it, you just have to find what works for you.

Good luck
Old 07-13-2012, 07:42 AM

I have played both pretty extensively, and I personally prefer the speed cobra. It hits as hard (if not harder) than the iron cobra, is lighter, has the longboard, and it looks cool. The projection beaters though, crap. Complete garbage. The felt they used for those is like chalk, unless they changed their production. So for immediate response/ no lag, i would recommend the speed, simply because they feel more responsive to me, but the iron feels more "hefty/ actually something under my foot".
Why exactly do you need "immediate response/ no lag"?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

While I don't own either I have used both and I love the speed cobra. I am not a huge fan of the iron cobra, I got a 5000 over it because of power. If I was going to get another pedal though my first choice would be a speed cobra.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
Why exactly do you need "immediate response/ no lag"?
I've been playing the worse double pedal ever, it's a pulse double pedal. I think it cost me $100 or $80 when I got it years ago. It was actually pretty responsive for the first few months, but after that first half year and years since then, it just sucks. It lags so much, I've changed the springs on it and adjusted it to no avail.

I've spent my time upgrading other parts of my kit through the years and have put up with the Pulse pedal, but now it's time to upgrade the pedal....and after years of putting up with that thing, I want something with immediate response for immediate satisfaction.

I actually got the opportunity to play a Speed Cobra the other day and I am sold, it's amazing.

Thanks for the response everyone.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:08 PM

After playing the Iron Cobras (and their few variants) over the years (including single & double pedal setups), I thought I'd never switch to anything else. I recently got with the band that demands some insane speeds (up to 240bpms), and I know I have a hard time playing those speeds with my current Cobras.

So I went shopping to see if I should look into direct drive pedals (the obligatory Axis, Pearl, and to my surprise Mapex Raptor came up). BUT - in my quest, I stumbled across a set of Speed Cobras, and they felt quite a bit lighter (as every one else described). I feel like I should be quicker with them, but I'm not. Perhaps it's because I feel at home with the slightly heavier Iron Cobra. I'm keeping the Speed Cobras for now, and I'm going to try and learn to use their advancements, but I must admit, I'm most likely going to either get another set of Iron Cobras or the Raptors for my set at home.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 AM
Platinum Member

I finally tried these, they're really nice but I would rather an iron cobra. I just don't like long boards and I wouldn't use them unless I was a straight up metal player. I used to play an iron cobra and it is a fantastic pedal but I did find it a little bit heavy for super fast playing.

If that's what you do you should probably give direct drive pedals a look.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 AM

I've beeen playing for 30 years, the last 25 Prog Rock and metal. For 12 years I've used Iron Cobras, they were very fast and hit very hard (I out fitted with DW 5000 beaters, plastic side towards batter head). With todays new metal comes the need for exeedingly fast bass drumming. I felt I was driving the IC's as fast as they would go so I dropped coin for a pair of Speed Cobras hoping to get more speed. They are much quicker right out of the box with no tuning (yet). They don't hit as hard as the IC's ( I may change the beaters or add the slide weight that came with my IC beaters) but they are smoother and hit more cosistently. The long board sits a bit higher off the deck but I have not found this a hinderence. The foot board is about 2" longer than the IC's. This should make heal/toe technique much easier on these pedals. So far- Happy Camper :)
Old 08-21-2012, 02:53 PM

I'm going to add, for those considering other pedals... One of the reasons I also switched from Iron Cobras to Speed Cobras, without going direct drive, is that I've played Iron Cobras for over a decade, without any maintenance issues. They are solid (I'm sure everybody knows this).

My only concern - if Iron Cobras ever released a direct drive version, I think I'd be all over this. It seems it would be the best of both worlds - durability AND potential quickness.