DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Dre25's Avatar
Dre25 Dre25 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,120
Default 2box heads

I am using real heads on my 2box but it's too noisy.. I tried taping some cloth to the underside of the head but it didn't stop the heads from playing a note. I don't want to put the single ply mesh heads back on because I want a harder playing surface. Has anyone tried the triple ply mesh heads yet? Just wanting to hear some comments as to whether this will improve my situation. Any suggestions welcome.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
please do not take this advice for it is among the worst given
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 PM
scorch whammin's Avatar
scorch whammin scorch whammin is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Savannah, GA USA
Posts: 1,033
Default Re: 2box heads

Are you referring to the billy blast mesh heads? If so, I've used his silicon single ply with good results and did purchase a three ply head, but used it on my sub-kick, so I didn't play on it...looks well made though and more reasonable than other makes...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 AM
Mezzo's Avatar
Mezzo Mezzo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cheshire England UK
Posts: 38
Default Re: 2box heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
I am using real heads on my 2box but it's too noisy.. I tried taping some cloth to the underside of the head but it didn't stop the heads from playing a note. I don't want to put the single ply mesh heads back on because I want a harder playing surface. Has anyone tried the triple ply mesh heads yet? Just wanting to hear some comments as to whether this will improve my situation. Any suggestions welcome.
I dont have a 2box kit, but I am using 3 ply Z-ED heads on my snare, high tom and mid tom then a 2 ply on my low tom. The first one I built was the snare with a 2 ply, then when I went to order more they were out of stock so ended up with 3 ply and moved the 2 ply to the low tom and put the 3 ply on the snare. My snare and low tom are 13 inch and my high and mid tom are 12 inch. If you are interested have a look at the thread here : http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=92340 and playing here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xx8FsBRXRM and also for rebound here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9PGphXwg5I

There is a fairly large difference between 2 and 3 ply, so I assume there will be a bigger difference from single ply. The main difference is the 2 ply is stretchier than the 3 ply, which is why I swapped to 3 ply on the snare because you can tighten it right up and get it much harder. I dont know the sizes of your 2box pads but if they are smaller than mine then they would go even harder.

Dont know if that helps you, but hopefully you will get something useful out of it.
__________________
Cheshire UK
Started Drumming October 2011.
My YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/user/iamthemezzo

Last edited by Mezzo; 07-11-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Dre25's Avatar
Dre25 Dre25 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,120
Default Re: 2box heads

Scorch - no, just any mesh heads with at least 2 plies really.

Mezzo - thanks, good to know there's a difference between them. Maybe I'll use a 2 ply on the bass drum and 3 on the snare. The 2box doesn't seem to allow for very tight tuning so I'll just have to wait and see but I want to ask you - is the 3 ply anywhere near the feel of a real head in terms of rebound?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
please do not take this advice for it is among the worst given
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Mezzo's Avatar
Mezzo Mezzo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cheshire England UK
Posts: 38
Default Re: 2box heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
Scorch - no, just any mesh heads with at least 2 plies really.

Mezzo - thanks, good to know there's a difference between them. Maybe I'll use a 2 ply on the bass drum and 3 on the snare. The 2box doesn't seem to allow for very tight tuning so I'll just have to wait and see but I want to ask you - is the 3 ply anywhere near the feel of a real head in terms of rebound?
You obviously wont get exactly the same feel on mesh, but the 3 ply is certainly closer, my snare is quite hard, its hard to explain how close it is, but its hard to push the mesh in with your thumbs, I think its about as close as you can go without having a real head. the 2 Ply wont go as hard, its more stretchy, so it suits the low / floor tom better.
__________________
Cheshire UK
Started Drumming October 2011.
My YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/user/iamthemezzo
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Dre25's Avatar
Dre25 Dre25 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,120
Default Re: 2box heads

Tanks, Mezzo.

Enlarged post.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
please do not take this advice for it is among the worst given
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com