DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 AM

Default Heads on a Gretsch Renown Maple

Hey everybody!!
First post (woot)

I was curious about peoples experiences with single vs double ply heads on the toms of a renown. I have moongels on some clear ec2s and it sounds nice and punchy. I would like to try a new sound though. Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Heads on a Gretsch Renown Maple

I've been using coated Ambassadors, but I found the sound to be a bit 'boingy'. I don't really like the look of clear heads, although I'd be interested of trying the EC2s.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:29 AM
audiotech

I basically went through the gamut with my Gretsch Renowns and for the last couple of head changes, I've been using Evans G2 coated over G1 clear heads. The heads that I did change as soon as I heard the stock heads were the Evans EMAD bass drum batter head and all the resonant heads on the toms. I put an EQ4 on the bass drum and I'm using G1 clear heads for the tom resonant heads.

I really can't see where you would need Moongel on EC2s, but to each his own. Maybe you can break it down a bit on the type of music you play. I play just about everything other than metal and certain kits of mine have different head combinations.

Dennis
Old 07-08-2012, 08:56 AM

Been using Remo Coated Emperors over Clear Ambassadors on the toms, along with a Coated Powerstroke 3 on the kick. Toms have medium to medium-low tuning, with the resonant heads about a 3rd higher than the batters. To me that's the perfect combination on the toms, as you get plenty of punch and depth with a fair amount of sustain, but none of the boinginess. As for the kick, I have nothing inside it and an unported, coated, self-muffling Gretsch logo head up front, which gives it lots of low end and "presence" to the sound (not just a thud).

Last edited by edvia; 07-08-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I basically went through the gamut with my Gretsch Renowns and for the last couple of head changes, I've been using Evans G2 coated over G1 clear heads. The heads that I did change as soon as I heard the stock heads were the Evans EMAD bass drum batter head and all the resonant heads on the toms. I put an EQ4 on the bass drum and I'm using G1 clear heads for the tom resonant heads.

I really can't see where you would need Moongel on EC2s, but to each his own. Maybe you can break it down a bit on the type of music you play. I play just about everything other than metal and certain kits of mine have different head combinations.

Dennis
I was getting a very papery sound without the moongels, I'm not sure if that is just a quality of double ply heads, but it sounded like shit. I dont know if anyone has had a similar exerience.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 PM

get a buddy to play your kit while you stand about 15-20 feet away and have them play with and without the gel on the toms. that's where the difference really matters, especially for live applications.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Administrator

My favorite combo is coated G2 Evans over clear G1 Evans. At the moment I am trying the clear G14 over G1. Like them but they are heavy which means durable.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 07-10-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmorelli View Post
I was getting a very papery sound without the moongels, I'm not sure if that is just a quality of double ply heads, but it sounded like shit. I dont know if anyone has had a similar exerience.
They're probably tuned poorly - way too low. Drop the misconception that ultra-low tuning gets you the biggest, deepest sound. Gretsch drums have those nice 30-degree edges that favor a little higher tuning with emphasis on mid-range tones...more head contact with the shell. Tune the resonant head a bit higher than the batter for a big, fat, round sound.

Also, give the heads time to break in and warm up. They always sound a little sub-par until you've smacked them around and stretched them out a bit.