DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 AM

Default Most difficult thing about reading?

If you'd be so kind: what is the most difficult thing about reading music at your current level?

I'm creating a blog/youtube video series about reading drum notation. Specifically starting out from the beginning and understanding note value, time signature, etc. and working up to be able to read charts as I have done in my JC big band and on gigs. I'm mostly self-taught as a reader/drummer, and I know how frustrating it can be when you're starting out.

I want to make my blog as helpful and accessible as possible. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
RP
Old 07-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Most difficult thing about reading?

Reading the road map. By that I mean reading correctly symbols such as repeat signs or DC/DS and jumps to codas.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberless View Post
Reading the road map. By that I mean reading correctly symbols such as repeat signs or DC/DS and jumps to codas.
I agree with this, but there's also the concept of "whatever you do, don't mess with the time and get to the next bar". I notice alot of younger players do this, they'll be playing along and then when they get a little lost, or come to a figure they have to think about, the time goes out the window, or they slow down, or... A constant sense of time-keeping is tantamount to playing music with others. Lots of times for me, this means that I could totally be blowing the written figures or a fill or a short solo, but I always land on the "1" of the next bar when you're supposed to.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

I agree at about 2 years of drumming experience with the 2 above.

Only other thing that gets me is double strokes- it always seems like there should be alittle more guidance than is written. For qtrs, 8ths and 16ths each note is written but not for doubles and I understand that they usually woudnt fit but havent learned how to decipher the notation yet.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Making something out of a piece when the writing is weak or obscure or just way harder than normal is a big challenge. In the first rehearsal, anyway.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

How to blag it, i.e ignoring stuff you cant play and playing something eles instead you can play.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I notice a lot of younger players do this, they'll be playing along and then when they get a little lost, or come to a figure they have to think about, the time goes out the window, or they slow down, or... A constant sense of time-keeping is tantamount to playing music with others. Lots of times for me, this means that I could totally be blowing the written figures or a fill or a short solo, but I always land on the "1" of the next bar when you're supposed to.
Never been a sight reader but this can happen when a band plays a newish number and someone has a brain fade. I've done it.

Musicians have two options: be a purist and search for the correct notes or jam / fudge / BS it out until you find the thread again. Bending time while looking for the right notes is the domain of treble players :)

Soundcloud
Old 07-11-2012, 04:53 PM

Hi
it's not a 'most difficult thing' I report but its an interesting difference between reading/interpreting drum notation and the notes of most other instruments. It has been a difficulty when I started playing drums after a long career as clarinetist.

One and the same drum bar can be written in many different ways. E.g you can simply write four quarter notes or you can achieve the same sound by writing four eighth notes adding the appropriate rests you can even use 1/32 notes or a mixture of all these and it will still sound like four independent strokes. You cannot do this with clarinet notes as on a clarinet a quarter note sounds longer than an eighth in the same tempo.
Hence, depending on the way a rhythm has been written, it can be more or less difficult to read it.

Alex