DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-30-2012, 04:15 PM

Default 2x DW3000 connecting rod?

I'm a lefty so have left handed setup. So I'm left footed on the bass. As you can see in the pic, the connecting shaft is on the left side. I need it on the right side so I can hook up the other pedal. Do I just unloosen all the set screws and shift the shaft over to the right?
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 2x DW3000 connecting rod?

This has been a bone of contention with me for a long time. why don't companies sell a universal double pedal that you can make lefty or righty. I don;t know if you can convert this pedal or not but I doubt it.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Well if you "unloosen" the screws, that would make them tighter, and you won't be able to move anything anywhere. ;-)

But seriously though... First off, the rod (driveshaft) to connect the slave side of a dw double pedal should have a square hole in it (unless dw has recently changed the design of their pedals) to accept the square post coming out the left side of the main pedal (as shown in your pic). The rest of the axle should be hexagonal. I forget if the right side spring assembly attaches to a square part or a hex part. Even if it's square, pushing it out the right side would just expose more of the hex portion, so the driveshaft connection wouldn't be able to fit next to the spring assembly anyway, as there wouldn't be enough space on the square part (hope that makes sense). For this plan to work, you would need to flip the entire yoke around, though I don't think that's possible on a dw.

Second, even if you WERE somehow able to make that work, then the right (or slave) pedal you attach will wind up controlling the right beater on the pedal... As would your left foot. Neither foot would control the left beater. So, if you're hooking it up with the intention of using a double, it won't work. However, if you're looking to use it as a remote pedal for a far away bass drum, it would work, but the footboard on the on the left pedal (the one
attached to the kick), would be bouncing up and down when you play, so you should remove it if that's the case.

Sorry, kinda hard to explain.

The only pedals I'm aware if that you can change from righty to lefty (or vice versa) are the Pearl Demon Drive, that new Taye pedal (Metalworks), and the Sonor Giant Step (though it takes quite a bit of disassembly to switch the Sonor).
Old 06-30-2012, 11:02 PM
PDPx7Drummer

I say and sorry to be off topic a bit, trade them in at Guitar Center if possible and get something better and that fits your needs. I need to go anyway so I am bringing my 3000 double pedal with me to see what they would give me for them. I have had it with these things after about 9 months of use. No they're not bad but they just don't work for my style. I have a quick foot and leg but the lag and delay of these pedals are killing the enjoyment of playing drums. 11 years ago I used to have a floor model Pearl, single chain, double pedal that cost $120 less than these and were quicker, weighed less and didn't strain my leg after a couple songs. I want effortless, I don't want to feel like I'm working a leg press machine after a few songs with quick doubles and singles. I watch these video's of people playing the DW 9000's, the Tama Speed and Iron Cobra's, Mapex Direct Drives and besides watching them I KNOW what the Speed and Iron feel like and know that I am missing out on some really fun and effortless playing!! I keep them wiped clean of any dust, wood chips or dirt, they are barely a year old and I have the beaters that came with them and hope to get a good quote.

Right now they have a special going on and they have the Speed Cobra at "too low to print" the price. Hopefully I get $150 or so for my pedals and maybe they lowered the Speed Cobra to like $325 or $275 or so. It seems 40% would be the maximum they would go on such an item. Cause I think I may just go with them. All I had to do was lay my right foot on the board and it rocketed toward the bass drum with no effort at all! If it all goes as planned I'll update and even post a thread with my thoughts.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:36 AM
PDPx7Drummer

Sigh....

No dice on the Speed Cobra's..... at least not yet. They didn't lower the price enough and they didn't offer enough for my 3000's which IMO is complete bs! These things are WELL taken care of, are not even a year old and I have everything that came with them including the DW drum key and beaters.

Oh well, just gonna have to wait for another deal and save up a bit more and maybe in a few weeks or so they will drop the price of them. Won't be long but won't be right away. Damn. Maybe I'll keep doing research on other pedals as well in the mean time.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:11 AM

well this is what i didn;t want to hear. I thoght is was just logical that you can just switch to be left footed. Should have asked even if it was silly question. I guess money not well spent, event though they are used but like new.

I question then is that I guess If I don;t sell them I could the beater pedal as a single if I get a practice bass pad? Otherwise off to flea bay...

I got them because I wanted to get into Kenny Aronoff's video which he does alot with double bass. Thought would be interesting as an exercise to get my feet working better with my sticking. this was a i thought a great solution to get into it from the cost perspective. Don;t think I want to spend the $$$ these guys are asking for left foot setups.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDPx7Drummer View Post
Sigh....

No dice on the Speed Cobra's..... at least not yet. They didn't lower the price enough and they didn't offer enough for my 3000's which IMO is complete bs! These things are WELL taken care of, are not even a year old and I have everything that came with them including the DW drum key and beaters.
You're trying to sell used gear to a music store? Yeah, no music store is going to give you anywhere near what your used gear is worth, no matter how great the condition. Typically, they seem to pay 50% (or less) of what they will sell it for. At least that's been my experience. Try craigslist or ebay.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM

what did guitarcenter offer?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:25 PM
PDPx7Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
You're trying to sell used gear to a music store? Yeah, no music store is going to give you anywhere near what your used gear is worth, no matter how great the condition. Typically, they seem to pay 50% (or less) of what they will sell it for. At least that's been my experience. Try craigslist or ebay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyd View Post
what did guitarcenter offer?
$70.... and I was pretty bummed. I wanted $150 and at the very least $125 for them as they are WELL worth it. Though you're right cutaway Ebay would probably be the way to go but even then I'm not sure how many people want a used DW 3000 double. When I save enough I may just let them go at that price and say screw it. Something is better than nothing I guess.

Then on top of that had the SC's at $359.99 down from $429.99 which really isn't a "too low to print" price but they HAVE to get you into the store some how! I was bummed man, I thought that day was gonna work out for sure. Though they say when one door closes another opens so I'm just gonna keep saving and keep researching. Sorry to hi-jack your thread a little but at that moment I just had enough of these 3000's and sort of vented. They are GREAT and well built for what they are but WAY over priced imo and are pretty sluggish.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:28 PM

no problem pdp. I just can;t believe these pedals can;t be switched. and to top it off, the lefties are more expensive in some cases....