DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-02-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Dave King

Dave is the most exciting drummer I have seen in a very long time. I was fortunate enough to see him live in Manchester last year and I cannot stress how much anyone that loves good drumming should check him out.
Sometimes it sounds like he's painting a delicate watercolour on the kit and sometimes its like they're his worst enemy.
Also check out his use of non drumming utensils (kids walky talkies, happy apples etc.)
One of his many bands is THE BAD PLUS (thebadplus.com) give it a butchers for some great music (jazz sensibilities with a bit of a rock attitude). They do quite a lot of Jazz covers of stuff like Nirvana, The Police, Pixies but especially stunning is their cover of Aphex Twins 'Flim' which particularly as far as drumming goes is phenomenal.
Not to mention they're own material.
In my mind his drumming conjures up images of Tony Williams, Jack DeJonhnette and John Bonham.
Any chance of seeing him reaching the "Hall Of Fame" that is drummerworlds profiles section?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Dave King from The Bad Plus

He should definately be added to drummerworld imo, although I know Bernhard's busy so it might take a while but definately. Saw the Bad Plus on Later with Jools Holland, absolutely brilliant. Was blown away by Dave, fantastic and very interesting drummer
Old 08-02-2005, 02:47 PM

If you check the website they're playing in dublin in november (16th I think, at the Sugar Club) - anybody any ideas what this venue is like? I'm thinking about getting a flight across to come and see them as they're not playing the UK this year. You should see him live, I feel sorry for the other band members as he really steals the stage. Even non drummers can't keep their eyes of his playing.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Pioneer Member

My god man! Thanks a million for the heads up. I'm really lookin forward to that now.
About the Sugar Club, I'm pretty sure its a jazzy venue, so it should be comfortable. If it got a good review from the Irish Times then it must be good.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:50 PM

No worries dude. You can buy me a pint when I get in! It's definitely the 16th, I've checked. You can't afford to miss them playing in your hometown.
Good skills.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Oh manthats gonna be sweet! What you drinkin? he he
Old 08-02-2005, 09:13 PM

Guiness dude!
seriously, I hear it's better than what we get over here (although I can't complain cos I love the stuff).
I initially thought they were going to be doing 2 dates in dublin and was going to go to both but it turns out one in dublin and one in cork.
i just need to find the funds for the flight/ferry and b&b!
It will be a right treat. they're currently playing a fair bit of stuff live thats yet to be recorded.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Pioneer Member

yeah, we probably save the best for the natives (he he he).

The venue they're playing in cork is meant to be very very good. But i'd say the sugar club will suffice (fingers crossed).

Knowing Ireland the flights/ferry and b&b might cost a bit (damn rip off Ireland, damn you to hell!)

whats the deal also, tickets or just show up on the night?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:41 PM

I'm going to see about booking tickets as imagine I've forked out the money and time to get to dublin only for there not to be any door tickets! Aaargh!
I need to see if I can afford it though, if so though there'll be a small group of us coming over so it should be good.
If you know any good b&b's (when I say good i mean not rathole's but as cheap as poss!) then please let me know.
Cheers dude.
Also I heard rumours about them making a documentary but no sign of any dvd yet (sadly)
Old 08-03-2005, 04:29 AM

I've had the album These Are the Vistas for about a year; it's one of my favourites to listen to, and King has become one of my favourite drummers. He sounds so natural and fluent on the kit, everything connects.
The Bad Plus in general sound great. It's headbanger jazz (at times), sorta. :P
They were in Victoria last year for JazzFest and I didn't see them, and I really regret that now. I'm hoping they'll be back again soon.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:35 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

I just had a look at their site and a listen to some of their music. This I must buy!

What an amazing drummer!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:31 PM

I'm glad there's other folks out there that appreciate the might dave. I agree these are the vista's is great but the last studio album "give" is also excellent.
Also well worth a go is "Blunt Object" that was recorded live in Tokyo. It is only available through itunes or through Sony (go the THEBADPLUS.COM and follow the links regarding that, their latest album.
Check the site regularly for tour dates. Its a shame there's no UK gigs this year mind. Mind you at least I'll finally get to see Ireland!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Pioneer Member

I saw Dave and the Bad plus about a year ago at the Regattabar near Harvard University. They are pretty mean musicians. The drummer Dave has quite a sense of humor. He plays with a bunch toy drums an pots and pans when he plays. He even used a pair of toy walkie talkies for one song. My only bone to pick with The Bad Plus is they get a little too experiemental or abstract at certain times. However if you are a drummer and love creative Jazz music they are a must see. Dave can really play. By the way they do a bad ass cover of Velouria by the Pixies.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Pioneer Member

he is awesome but i think sometimes he does draw a bit too much attention away from the rest of the band. check him out on Craig Taborn's Junk Magic, he is a bit more in the pocket
Old 08-08-2005, 07:18 AM

The Bad Plus is one of my favorite bands. I've been wanting to drum along to "Flim" for a long time now, but its so hard to do exactly becuase theres no single beat repeated. So I've started transcribing it, and its taking soooo long, but im up to about 2:30. Good stuff.

Ben
Old 08-21-2005, 08:19 PM

I'm lucky enough to live in Minneapolis (Dave lives in the Twin Cities area) where, if he isn't out of the country touring, he's playing live with one of his many bands (Happy Apple, F-K-G, Halloween Alaska, Love-Cars, Electric Bill, and some others I probably don't know about). His gig schedule is unbeliveable.

For those of you in NYC you have 6 chances to see him with The Bad Plus when they play SIX nights at The Village Vanguard, September 20-25. All 3 of these guys are accomplished musicians with incredible imagination and the chops to execute. And all extremely nice guys.

I'll chime in here with a "me-too" on wanting to see Dave have a page on this great website. Some links for Bernhard:

http://www.thebadplus.com/
http://www.happyapplemusic.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaDrum21
The Bad Plus is one of my favorite bands. I've been wanting to drum along to "Flim" for a long time now, but its so hard to do exactly becuase theres no single beat repeated. So I've started transcribing it, and its taking soooo long, but im up to about 2:30. Good stuff.
Ben
Not too long ago I read an article on line where Ethan Iverson (Piano) said that Dave's drum part in Flim is improvised (and different) every time. I'm always fascinated by his drumming on this tune everytime I see him. Listening to the original Aphex Twin version for the first time (after seeing him play it for a couple years) I was flabbergasted by his interpretation (which on the original track is a drum machine with a definite "beat-box" kind of feel)

I'm looking forward to their 3 night stand at the end of the year here at The Dakota.

Thanks again Bernhard for all you do!

--Joe
Old 12-24-2006, 04:21 AM

Default Dave King

Ever heard of him?
He is a drummer for the Bad Plus and Happy apple, local Minneapolis, MN Bands.
He has some mad skill in the jazz area.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Dave King

This deserves a bump. I found a little clip of Dave playing the Flim cover. It's probably the best performance of the song I've seen from him so far. Amazing to say the least. He even uses one of his little toys towards the end. I can't wait 'til the Bad Plus comes back to AZ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4auW8F8mQE
Old 07-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

2 drummers left quite an impression on me last week during the Vancouver International Jazz Festival. First up the amazing and very musical David King from The Bad Plus and the heaviest modern latin kit player i've ever had the pleasure of hearing Gilberto Moreaux with the group Zapato Negro.

Both are in my view are two of the most underated drummers on the scene today period but in David's case he has a ever growing appeciative following and rightful recognition for his very fine musicianship. Gilberto is just one of the best kept secrets going at the moment IMO but that will change soon trust me.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-04-2007, 09:07 AM

Dave King is a really interesting player but man, sooooo many rim clicks. It got to the point with the blue record (with the nirvana cover) where I just couldn't listen to it anymore. It sucks a little bit because a lot of his vocabulary is really exciting. Just all that rim noise. It's like one of those clacker toys constantly coming through the speakers.

If there are any records where that isn't as present a sound, I'd love to know.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gayge View Post
Dave King is a really interesting player but man, sooooo many rim clicks. It got to the point with the blue record (with the nirvana cover) where I just couldn't listen to it anymore. It sucks a little bit because a lot of his vocabulary is really exciting. Just all that rim noise. It's like one of those clacker toys constantly coming through the speakers.

If there are any records where that isn't as present a sound, I'd love to know.
I think you need to hear Dave do his thing live with the band in concert. Since i've followed their development as a unit they have taken things to yet another level IMO and Dave really breaks it up and certainly no over abundance of butt of stick across snare at the show I just saw. All I remember was a very inspiring,unique and musical performance with lots of variety and dynamics. Some of the best leading edge trio jazz going right now featuring a very underrated current drum master.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-07-2007, 06:10 AM

Personally I love how he uses the rim clicks to bring another dynamic into his playing, especially on this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNPKaXrVLSE

He uses every piece of the kit to its full potential and leaves a large footprint without stepping on his band mates' playing. Plus, I love the way he tunes his drums. But his playing is definitely something you should see and hear at least once, especially in a live atmosphere. If you're a jazz fan, or just a fan of music in general you definitely need to check out the Bad +, or check out David's other projects, like Happy Apple and the Gang Font. Definitely top notch stuff.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

The Bad Plus is doing a FREE show at The Grove in downtown Boise tonight - I'm there!

I had heard of them but hadn't actually heard them until yesterday...fantastic musicians! David King is a brilliant drummer with exceptional energy.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member

....and....

They were great!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 AM

Default Another King!

I started a thread about a drummer named Darren King a while back the guy from mutemath. Here's another dude that ya'll should check out. His name is Dave king he plays for that band called The Bad Plus. Amazing guy, tell me what ya'll think.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:26 AM

Covering Aphex Twin seals the deal for this band.

Anyone here know what cymbals he uses? Especially that ride/crash cymbal, it's so nice and dry! I'd love to know. Props!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Gotta bump this.

Saw The Bad Plus live last year, didn't think I'd love it that much. I love the beat he does towards the end of the "Heart Of Glass" too, he really knows how to give a specific feel with an extraordinarily genius choice of beat. I think it is why the Flim cover looks like it's been played note for note (but actually improvised).
Old 02-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Dave rocks... I actually saw him a bunch with his old band Happy Apple out of Minneapolis. I bought the most recent Bad Plus album, and was into it for a bit, but I think his playing is best experienced live. He is incredibly creative and while he does have the vocabulary of an accomplished jazz drummer, I think the studio recordings leave out his true dynamic sensibilities. He definitely has his own voice on the kit, but often on recordings it sounds like he only has two volumes LOUD and ssssshhhhhhh
Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Hi, first post... Can't sleep and for some reason decided to look for some Dave King vids... fell into this rabbit hole.

I've had the pleasure of being able to record Dave in various Mn venues since late '05 when I caught one of the now annual Bad Plus Christmas sets at the Dakota. He's been very open and supportive of "tapers" and as such I've seen many of his side projects: Halloween Alaska, Happy Apple, Buffalo Collision, FKG (Foltz King Granros) Starry Eyed Lovelies, Shovel and the freshest, Dave King Trucking Company.

I've always been eager to hear him play, especially in the cozy confines of St. Paul's Artists' Quarter. There's nothing like sitting stage side watching him "pick and grin". For those of you who've never seen Happy Apple live, I'd check out any rare touring appearance. I'm not sure if the band exists to foster Dave's ambition to do stand up (sit down?) comedy or if the shtick between tunes just fits the loose no boundaries philosophy of the band... What do I know?

I've put a Happy Apple set up on Tapers.org that can be streamed or downloaded. Look for HA2007-09-02mtrx.flac16 in the list. Also there is the latest from The Dave King Trucking Company, DaveKingTrucking2010-06-14AKG414.flac16, that was recorded by a fellow taper. I see three Bad Plus sets as well.

Enjoy. I have.

Dave

Last edited by DPK; 07-03-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Default Dave King

Looks like dave to me
Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 PM

I love his playing with the Bad Plus... I love this trio. Dave is sick
Old 09-18-2010, 07:38 AM

I just saw the bad plus tonite in boston. I've never experienced anything like it before in my life. dave king is truly an inspiration.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Thought I'd check out some of The Bad Plus's videos - classy drummer!

Does anyone know about the dark thing on his snare drum in this clip? It looks like a big suction pad used to heavily dampen the drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb-bJlxXDbs
Old 09-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

I just picked up the new Cd and it is really out there, some of the most "inaccessible ' stuff they've done, no alt rock covers on this one. lol

Thanks for bringing attention to the mute on the snare drum. I am going to get me one of those. I am really trying to find ways to make drumming more quiet. More quiet without having to hold back. It's such a loud instrument.lol
Old 09-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Ken, it looks as though it would take some focus to avoid hitting that thing. However, it looks like DK can lay into the rimshots without being overpowering and it gives him a quirky modern sound.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Ken, it looks as though it would take some focus to avoid hitting that thing. However, it looks like DK can lay into the rimshots without being overpowering and it gives him a quirky modern sound.
Quirky?? Modern?? yeah, I think that describes Dave King. lol
Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Thought I'd check out some of The Bad Plus's videos - classy drummer!

Does anyone know about the dark thing on his snare drum in this clip? It looks like a big suction pad used to heavily dampen the drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb-bJlxXDbs
Looks like a splash cymbal or a drumbal.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
I just picked up the new Cd and it is really out there, some of the most "inaccessible ' stuff they've done, no alt rock covers on this one. lol
True that! That music makes me feel stupid, it's so different than what I normally listen to. Still a great listen, but way over my head if that makes sense. Dave King's defiantly in my top 5 drummers, the Bad Plus in my top 5 music groups as well. He has a unique humorous style that I really dig. Him and Jojo Mayer are both kinda related in that they play original styles, and both have a certain quirkiness to their playing. Both are very technically advanced as well, and they put it to perfect effective use!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Just saw the Bad Plus last night at Jazz Showcase here in Chicago. GREAT show, and Dave King is an amazing drummer. One of the nicest guys I've ever met as well. Got to talk to him for a good 10 minutes or so. Very down to earth person, and such a great drummer. Definitely going to go see them again next time they're in town!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Silver Member

Just saw The Bad Plus, I found out they were in town just hours before they played. I shook his hand, talked to him, and my friend got his email for lessons. He's a super nice guy, and watching him is amazing. His playing goes from the ravings of a mad man, to the sounds of a rushing river. I had waited such a long time to see him! Everybody drummer owes it to themselves to see him!