DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Teaching an old dog new tricks

Well, I've had that double bass pedal for a couple weeks now, and have been spending some time with it. I commented earlier that I thought it was kind of boring after a couple hours.

But I forgot the routine, and how long, it takes to try something new. Awkward feeling, slow it down till you get it right, then start to speed it up gradually. Been trying different patterns and stuff, and it's starting to feel a little normal now.

Still don't know how much I'd ever use it, but it can't hurt to learn it - right?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 AM
PDPx7Drummer

Default Re: Teaching an old dog new tricks

Keep it up wildbill! When I got back behind the kit about 9 months ago I was so rusty I couldn't move. Now I'm keeping a steady beat at a fairly fast temo, doing different licks and adding in things with my double pedal (that I've never done before even 11 years ago with my floor model Pearl double pedal) and can tell I've made a bit of progress.

Double pedals are just so damn fun to use, don't give up and just enjoy what ever you can do with them!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member

It's not that I'm rusty.

It's that in all the many years I've been playing, I've never used a double bass pedal before.
Always been - right foot = bass, left foot = hit-hat. (and I had a snobby attitude about them too - ha ha).

At first I felt so uncoordinated that I was shocked. But I've been making fairly rapid progress. Just got to remember to keep plenty of time for practicing other things too.

Last edited by wildbill; 07-03-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:00 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
It's not that I'm rusty.

It's that in all the many years I've been playing, I've never use a double bass pedal.
Always been - right foot = bass, left foot = hit-hat. (and I had a snobby attitude about them too - ha ha).

At first I felt so uncoordinated that I was shocked. But I've been making fairly rapid progress. Just got to remember to keep plenty of time for practicing other things too.
This sounds a bit like me, lol. I never touched a double pedal in the first 47 years of my career. Back in 2008 I found out that I would be needing surgery on my right foot, and at the time my girlfriend didn't feel comfortable with my studio gigs, so I bought a double pedal and learned it, somewhat. I spent a few months with the pedal until I felt as if I could handle the bass drum with just my left foot. I only had to do this for a little over a month, but things worked out fine and I was then glad to get back to my single pedals. I enjoy learning new things and a lot of times, the new information comes in handy.

Dennis
Old 07-03-2012, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
This sounds a bit like me,
And me.

Got around just fine on a single for years. I bought a double a couple of years ago just for a giggle. Figured it wouldn't hurt to play around and develop a new skill. Whilst I certainly put some time into it, ultimately old habits must die hard in the end. For a while now I've had one pedal on the bass drum and the other on a practice pad (it can be broken down into two). I guess I've just decided that there's still so much I need to work on that I'm more likely to use in a musical setting. Still, it's there when I decide to put more work into it......this thread may well be the inspiration I need to hook it up again.