DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-10-2015, 03:47 PM

Default Internally mounted yamaha subkick?

Hello this is my first post, and I was just seeing what you guys thought about this. The picture I attached is a custom made bass drum/tom made by yamaha for russ millers personal kit. What I was wondering is what you guys's opinions are about me internally mounting a subkick to my bass drum? It's a 22x18 bass and I do not use the tom mounts on it so I could mount it using that. Mounting and installation is really not the issue, my concern is what would it do to the sound? I don't have too much experience with this stuff so would I still get the same effect out of the subkick if it was inside the bass instead of in front of it? And any input you guys have would be helpful
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2015, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Internally mounted yamaha subkick?

Also, I mainly play jazz too if that changes anything
Old 04-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Pioneer Member

I'd imagine you'd lose most of the natural sound of the drum, as the subkick would seriously interrupt the air flow between the heads. Depending on how you plan to mount it you can try it, see if you like it and if not take it out. Do you already have a subkick? Not something I would normally associate with jazz playing.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:02 PM

FYI a subkick is not like a microphone, as in it doesn't accurately represent the bass response of your drum. What it provides is a little bit of the attack from your drum, plus the resonant frequency on the speaker diaphragm that's in the subkick. Not like a microphone that captures what your drum is actually doing. So the subkick can sound very similar on different drums; if you like how it sounds on videos/recordings you've seen, then it might be a good bet. But you might be better off with an actual bass mic. I have an e602 in mine; not sure what mics you prefer but I'm pretty sure you can find that, the beta 52, the d6, the d112, etc. all for cheaper than the actual yamaha subkick. Or if you want a big subkick-style speaker-mic, then just make your own out of an old woofer for cheap.

Also, if it's in the drum, you'll get more attack. If you do decide on a big speaker-mic, it might sound a little more "balanced" by itself if it's in the drum. Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankowske View Post
I am the best drummer in the world.