DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Default Head for a 16" Floor Tom?

I've been using Coated Ambassadors over smooth black Ambassadors on my Yamaha Stage Custom kit, and my 16" floor tom has always been too boomy or "boingy" for my taste and doesn't mix well with the rest of my kit (I tune fairly high). I was thinking about putting a Coated Emperor or G2 on the batter side, but I just played another 16" floor tom (an old Tama Swingstar) with a Coated Emperor and it sounded too dead and plastic-like.
To tame my floor tom, should I:

Try an Ambassador X, G Plus, or G14 (I want to stay coated)

Change my reso head away from the smooth black Ambassador or tune it a certain way

Or use some sort of muffling (I don't want to muffle; I've tried a little duct tape and it doesn't sound good with the high tuning I use)

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Head for a 16" Floor Tom?

Try an Ambassador X head, and/or play around a little with tuning and muffling.
Try tuning up the reso head, muffle the reso head, muffle the batter head, etc. Take a few hours and experiment and I'm sure you'll find the sound you're looking for.

Peace

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Try an Ambassador X, G Plus, or G14 (I want to stay coated)
These are all unmuffled single-ply heads. They won't exactly change the nature of the sound in the way I think you're describing; the thicker heads tune up deeper, but they're still very resonant just like any single ply head.

There's nothing inherantly "dead and plastic-like" about Emperors. My floor is very vibrant and full with one. Tuning and setup is what makes a head dead and plasticy. Based on what you're saying, you may really want a G2 or Emperor, or even something like a EC2.

But to be frank, it sounds more like a tuning issue than anything. There's nothing that should be stopping you from getting a smooth, non-boingy sound out of the heads you have (unless they're just old and shot). I'd re-evaluate your tuning, make sure the heads really are cleanly in-tune, and see what interval you have them tuned to.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:58 PM

Soupy -
I think your suggestion that the head might be worn out is correct. Now that I think about it, the ambassador has been on the floor tom for a while. The emperor I played was also most likely tuned poorly given the condition and location of the kit I played it on. I'll try an emperor or g2. tune it well and check the interval, and see what happens. Thanks!