DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #721  
Old 08-09-2014, 02:38 AM
radman's Avatar
radman radman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the pocket :)
Posts: 233
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Then, I was browsing and stumbled across this video off Jimmy Cobb from a couple years ago. Is anyone else blown away by how good this man still is? My goodness. Remember, this is the man who recorded Kind Of Blue and Sketches Of Spain in the late 1950s. And this is him now. Amazing. Inspiring. http://youtu.be/M7wN_2n7G14
Wowza. Thx for posting that 8mile! I'm a big Joey fan. Nice to see Jimmy there ... funny how that guy has played on some of the biggest jazz albums EVER ... yet he seems underrated...? Prob because of his style, I suppose. But man .... he still has got it going in his mid 80's !?!

I wish Joey would slim down a bit ... worried we'll lose him before his time....
Reply With Quote
  #722  
Old 08-12-2014, 02:42 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

I heard a track off this excellent album on SiriusXM Real Jazz the other day, so I played the whole thing for the first time in years. Dorham was an extraordinary composer and musician. And what a band. A 17-year-old Tony Williams playing about as "bop" as you'll ever hear. Well worth a listen.

Reply With Quote
  #723  
Old 08-12-2014, 02:44 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,398
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I heard a track off this excellent album on SiriusXM Real Jazz the other day, so I played the whole thing for the first time in years. Dorham was an extraordinary composer and musician. And what a band. A 17-year-old Tony Williams playing about as "bop" as you'll ever hear. Well worth a listen.

such a great record !!!

you and I need to have a beer bro.... it's like you are inside my head
Reply With Quote
  #724  
Old 08-12-2014, 02:49 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

You know it, Ants!

With the floods we're getting in Detroit tonight, we'll be under water by morning. Might as well snag a boat and set sail for N.J. and we can have that brew.
Reply With Quote
  #725  
Old 08-12-2014, 03:09 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,398
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
You know it, Ants!

With the floods we're getting in Detroit tonight, we'll be under water by morning. Might as well snag a boat and set sail for N.J. and we can have that brew.
I just threw a nice leather futon in the drum room so you are all set
Reply With Quote
  #726  
Old 08-12-2014, 07:18 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,398
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

"There is no way to demystify jazz except by playing convincingly. It is a mysterious occupation. And the reason no musicologist, critic, virtual educator or brand-name can get a handle on it is this: jazz is about closeness to the material, a personal dance with the material, not the material itself. And this personal dance is validated not by the media, not by corporations, not by critics or reviewers, not by record companies, not by money, but only other dancers. A virtual dance doesn´t count in the real world of jazz. If the phrase “whatever is the most personal is the most universal” is true, it goes far towards explaining why the true jazz giants up to the present time are who they are: They dance up a storm."

-Keith Jarrett
Reply With Quote
  #727  
Old 08-12-2014, 10:26 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Love that quote, Ants! Jarrett is a genius in the truest sense of that overused word.

The word jazz has gotten a lot of mileage lately. I'm kind of reluctant to go there, but has anyone been paying attention to some of the stuff Nicholas Payton has been saying about the word?
Reply With Quote
  #728  
Old 08-12-2014, 10:45 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,398
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Love that quote, Ants! Jarrett is a genius in the truest sense of that overused word.

The word jazz has gotten a lot of mileage lately. I'm kind of reluctant to go there, but has anyone been paying attention to some of the stuff Nicholas Payton has been saying about the word?

you mean the whole.... jazz is dead.... I play post modern New Orleans music.... jazz died in 1959 and Ornette Coleman tried to save it.... stop being a necrophiliac holding on to jazz...

all that stuff?

pretty funny to me

you can walk down the streets of NYC on any given night and walk in to any number of clubs and see that jazz is alive and well... breathing just fine

what is not fine is Mr. Paytons ego
Reply With Quote
  #729  
Old 08-13-2014, 02:39 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,398
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

highly recommend this book.... check it out

Reply With Quote
  #730  
Old 08-13-2014, 03:09 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
you mean the whole.... jazz is dead.... I play post modern New Orleans music.... jazz died in 1959 and Ornette Coleman tried to save it.... stop being a necrophiliac holding on to jazz...

all that stuff?

pretty funny to me

you can walk down the streets of NYC on any given night and walk in to any number of clubs and see that jazz is alive and well... breathing just fine

what is not fine is Mr. Paytons ego
Yes. And the whole #BAM thing he is pushing. Changing what we call the music. That's what dominates his words these days.

I understand part of where he is coming from, but I think it gets lost in that ego. It strikes me as a self-aggrandizing platform for him to stay relevant.
Reply With Quote
  #731  
Old 08-13-2014, 05:04 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,398
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Yes. And the whole #BAM thing he is pushing. Changing what we call the music. That's what dominates his words these days.

I understand part of where he is coming from, but I think it gets lost in that ego. It strikes me as a self-aggrandizing platform for him to stay relevant.
oh he definitely has some valid points..... but the ridiculous ones and his inflated ego completely overshadow them
not to mention his pompous attempt at creating a platform to express his bloated opinions

4 words have always done good by me through my modest career

shut... up.... and .... play

you want a soapbox....get into wholesale shipping in the 19th century or a become politician

shut up and play
Reply With Quote
  #732  
Old 08-13-2014, 09:36 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
oh he definitely has some valid points..... but the ridiculous ones and his inflated ego completely overshadow them
not to mention his pompous attempt at creating a platform to express his bloated opinions

4 words have always done good by me through my modest career

shut... up.... and .... play

you want a soapbox....get into wholesale shipping in the 19th century or a become politician

shut up and play
We are on the same wavelength, my man, as always!
Reply With Quote
  #733  
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

I posted this on the thread about doing a double-take at the difficulty of playing a piece of music for the first time, but it probably applies to this thread even moreso.

Have any of you tried tackling Petits Machins, by the Miles Davis Quintet? Wow! I knew it would be difficult, but the structure is like a moving target. There's metric deletion like crazy, maybe more extreme than anything else by this group, which is saying something. It's 11 bars, then 10, then they drop a bar during solos the second time, but the bass sometimes plays 9... just mind-bending stuff, yet they make it flow and improvise like crazy over it, as if it was easy.

Just reinforces my belief that this group was on a higher plane, collectively and as individuals. To pull this stuff off so effortlessly, man...

Curious if anyone has tried to tackle this piece.

Cue Anthony coming in and telling us about how he performed it with Ron Carter when they were hanging out a few years ago, 1... 2... 3... :)
Reply With Quote
  #734  
Old 09-03-2014, 01:16 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,705
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Have any of you tried tackling Petits Machins, by the Miles Davis Quintet? Wow! I knew it would be difficult, but the structure is like a moving target.
Hadn't heard that. Good grief - moving target is right! Some great moments ... I wouldn't have even picked that it had a meter at all.

Wanted to ask your thoughts on Hermeto Pascoal. A friend has been sending me links and good listening. I understand that he played with Miles in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkwwdxx7XCg
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #735  
Old 09-03-2014, 01:41 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,398
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I posted this on the thread about doing a double-take at the difficulty of playing a piece of music for the first time, but it probably applies to this thread even moreso.

Have any of you tried tackling Petits Machins, by the Miles Davis Quintet? Wow! I knew it would be difficult, but the structure is like a moving target. There's metric deletion like crazy, maybe more extreme than anything else by this group, which is saying something. It's 11 bars, then 10, then they drop a bar during solos the second time, but the bass sometimes plays 9... just mind-bending stuff, yet they make it flow and improvise like crazy over it, as if it was easy.

Just reinforces my belief that this group was on a higher plane, collectively and as individuals. To pull this stuff off so effortlessly, man...

Curious if anyone has tried to tackle this piece.

Cue Anthony coming in and telling us about how he performed it with Ron Carter when they were hanging out a few years ago, 1... 2... 3... :)
ha!!! good one 8

no never played this tune with a band ... but yeah the form gets wild

not unlike Joshua ... that form is bananas

the B section is different under solos than it is in the head .... and to make it even more interesting the part they change is the 3/4 part that feels like 4/4 because of the over the bar feel

that band was light years ahead of everyone
Reply With Quote
  #736  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Hadn't heard that. Good grief - moving target is right! Some great moments ... I wouldn't have even picked that it had a meter at all.

Wanted to ask your thoughts on Hermeto Pascoal. A friend has been sending me links and good listening. I understand that he played with Miles in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkwwdxx7XCg
Grea, I am not familiar with a lot of his music, but I really like the Slaves Mass album and I know he contributed to Miles' Live Evil, although I don't recall what he played. He plays everything, right? I remember Miles said something superlative about what a great musician he is, which caused me to take notice.
Reply With Quote
  #737  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:17 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
ha!!! good one 8

no never played this tune with a band ... but yeah the form gets wild

not unlike Joshua ... that form is bananas

the B section is different under solos than it is in the head .... and to make it even more interesting the part they change is the 3/4 part that feels like 4/4 because of the over the bar feel

that band was light years ahead of everyone
Yeah, I immediately thought of Joshua and how we were exploring the form some time ago with the contrast between head and solo sections.

I seriously struggle with the idea that most people don't live and breathe this music. I think I'd die without it.
Reply With Quote
  #738  
Old 09-03-2014, 05:23 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,705
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Grea, I am not familiar with a lot of his music, but I really like the Slaves Mass album and I know he contributed to Miles' Live Evil, although I don't recall what he played. He plays everything, right? I remember Miles said something superlative about what a great musician he is, which caused me to take notice.
Lar, I think Miles said Hermeto was one of the most important musicians on the planet. Don't know the background or context, though. Mainly piano but is a natural and plays anything and everything.

I especially recommend the Slaves Mass album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ptOJ33u1bQ. It's eclectic but the music is often related to early electric Miles and early RTF, with strong Latin influence.

HP plays all sorts of things, including many non instruments - and even "plays" a pig in the title track ... better to be given little squeezes by Hermeto than to end up on someone's plate :) Look out for him scatting with his keys solos.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #739  
Old 09-22-2014, 01:05 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,716
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Maybe my favorite Morello solo on YouTube. The left hand at 1:42 is from another planet. A master. http://youtu.be/Qh-nGxqo1N4
Reply With Quote
  #740  
Old 09-22-2014, 01:23 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,398
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Maybe my favorite Morello solo on YouTube. The left hand at 1:42 is from another planet. A master. http://youtu.be/Qh-nGxqo1N4
love that solo

that bass drum sound gives me chills


and yo!!... that foot at 2:37
Reply With Quote
  #741  
Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,398
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

anyone interested in this thread.... scratch that ... anyone interested in brilliant drumming .... go pick up the Sean Jones record Im-pro-vise Never Before Seen.... and let Obed Calvaire grace your ears with beauty

this cat embodies the truest form of artistic expression on the drums that I have heard in years

trust me on this one ... go get it
Reply With Quote
  #742  
Old 10-17-2014, 04:14 AM
Muckster's Avatar
Muckster Muckster is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'm right behind you.
Posts: 1,816
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Steve Smith getting it done at the Iridium: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLgdzDK...ature=youtu.be
__________________
Max Roach did it, Elvin Jones did it, but Roy Haynes didit and didit and didit.
Reply With Quote
  #743  
Old 10-17-2014, 04:38 AM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,239
Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
Steve Smith getting it done at the Iridium: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLgdzDK...ature=youtu.be
Maybe I'm just weird, but that particular performance isn't doing much for me on the drumming side. He seemed like he wasn't quite in command or sure what he wanted to do as he was doing it.

Contrasted with Art, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IQNPlnc9c0

I'd much rather listen to that.

Again, maybe I'm just weird, or my taste in Jazz is.
__________________
Tortured animal filled with chemicals meeting horrible death = yum. - Anon La Ply
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com