DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:38 AM

Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Then, I was browsing and stumbled across this video off Jimmy Cobb from a couple years ago. Is anyone else blown away by how good this man still is? My goodness. Remember, this is the man who recorded Kind Of Blue and Sketches Of Spain in the late 1950s. And this is him now. Amazing. Inspiring. http://youtu.be/M7wN_2n7G14
Wowza. Thx for posting that 8mile! I'm a big Joey fan. Nice to see Jimmy there ... funny how that guy has played on some of the biggest jazz albums EVER ... yet he seems underrated...? Prob because of his style, I suppose. But man .... he still has got it going in his mid 80's !?!

I wish Joey would slim down a bit ... worried we'll lose him before his time....
Old 08-12-2014, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

I heard a track off this excellent album on SiriusXM Real Jazz the other day, so I played the whole thing for the first time in years. Dorham was an extraordinary composer and musician. And what a band. A 17-year-old Tony Williams playing about as "bop" as you'll ever hear. Well worth a listen.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I heard a track off this excellent album on SiriusXM Real Jazz the other day, so I played the whole thing for the first time in years. Dorham was an extraordinary composer and musician. And what a band. A 17-year-old Tony Williams playing about as "bop" as you'll ever hear. Well worth a listen.

such a great record !!!

you and I need to have a beer bro.... it's like you are inside my head
Old 08-12-2014, 03:49 AM
Platinum Member

You know it, Ants!

With the floods we're getting in Detroit tonight, we'll be under water by morning. Might as well snag a boat and set sail for N.J. and we can have that brew.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You know it, Ants!

With the floods we're getting in Detroit tonight, we'll be under water by morning. Might as well snag a boat and set sail for N.J. and we can have that brew.
I just threw a nice leather futon in the drum room so you are all set
Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

"There is no way to demystify jazz except by playing convincingly. It is a mysterious occupation. And the reason no musicologist, critic, virtual educator or brand-name can get a handle on it is this: jazz is about closeness to the material, a personal dance with the material, not the material itself. And this personal dance is validated not by the media, not by corporations, not by critics or reviewers, not by record companies, not by money, but only other dancers. A virtual dance doesn´t count in the real world of jazz. If the phrase “whatever is the most personal is the most universal” is true, it goes far towards explaining why the true jazz giants up to the present time are who they are: They dance up a storm."

-Keith Jarrett
Old 08-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Love that quote, Ants! Jarrett is a genius in the truest sense of that overused word.

The word jazz has gotten a lot of mileage lately. I'm kind of reluctant to go there, but has anyone been paying attention to some of the stuff Nicholas Payton has been saying about the word?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Love that quote, Ants! Jarrett is a genius in the truest sense of that overused word.

The word jazz has gotten a lot of mileage lately. I'm kind of reluctant to go there, but has anyone been paying attention to some of the stuff Nicholas Payton has been saying about the word?

you mean the whole.... jazz is dead.... I play post modern New Orleans music.... jazz died in 1959 and Ornette Coleman tried to save it.... stop being a necrophiliac holding on to jazz...

all that stuff?

pretty funny to me

you can walk down the streets of NYC on any given night and walk in to any number of clubs and see that jazz is alive and well... breathing just fine

what is not fine is Mr. Paytons ego
Old 08-13-2014, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

highly recommend this book.... check it out

Old 08-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
you mean the whole.... jazz is dead.... I play post modern New Orleans music.... jazz died in 1959 and Ornette Coleman tried to save it.... stop being a necrophiliac holding on to jazz...

all that stuff?

pretty funny to me

you can walk down the streets of NYC on any given night and walk in to any number of clubs and see that jazz is alive and well... breathing just fine

what is not fine is Mr. Paytons ego
Yes. And the whole #BAM thing he is pushing. Changing what we call the music. That's what dominates his words these days.

I understand part of where he is coming from, but I think it gets lost in that ego. It strikes me as a self-aggrandizing platform for him to stay relevant.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes. And the whole #BAM thing he is pushing. Changing what we call the music. That's what dominates his words these days.

I understand part of where he is coming from, but I think it gets lost in that ego. It strikes me as a self-aggrandizing platform for him to stay relevant.
oh he definitely has some valid points..... but the ridiculous ones and his inflated ego completely overshadow them
not to mention his pompous attempt at creating a platform to express his bloated opinions

4 words have always done good by me through my modest career

shut... up.... and .... play

you want a soapbox....get into wholesale shipping in the 19th century or a become politician

shut up and play
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
oh he definitely has some valid points..... but the ridiculous ones and his inflated ego completely overshadow them
not to mention his pompous attempt at creating a platform to express his bloated opinions

4 words have always done good by me through my modest career

shut... up.... and .... play

you want a soapbox....get into wholesale shipping in the 19th century or a become politician

shut up and play
We are on the same wavelength, my man, as always!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

I posted this on the thread about doing a double-take at the difficulty of playing a piece of music for the first time, but it probably applies to this thread even moreso.

Have any of you tried tackling Petits Machins, by the Miles Davis Quintet? Wow! I knew it would be difficult, but the structure is like a moving target. There's metric deletion like crazy, maybe more extreme than anything else by this group, which is saying something. It's 11 bars, then 10, then they drop a bar during solos the second time, but the bass sometimes plays 9... just mind-bending stuff, yet they make it flow and improvise like crazy over it, as if it was easy.

Just reinforces my belief that this group was on a higher plane, collectively and as individuals. To pull this stuff off so effortlessly, man...

Curious if anyone has tried to tackle this piece.

Cue Anthony coming in and telling us about how he performed it with Ron Carter when they were hanging out a few years ago, 1... 2... 3... :)
Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Have any of you tried tackling Petits Machins, by the Miles Davis Quintet? Wow! I knew it would be difficult, but the structure is like a moving target.
Hadn't heard that. Good grief - moving target is right! Some great moments ... I wouldn't have even picked that it had a meter at all.

Wanted to ask your thoughts on Hermeto Pascoal. A friend has been sending me links and good listening. I understand that he played with Miles in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkwwdxx7XCg

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 09-03-2014, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I posted this on the thread about doing a double-take at the difficulty of playing a piece of music for the first time, but it probably applies to this thread even moreso.

Have any of you tried tackling Petits Machins, by the Miles Davis Quintet? Wow! I knew it would be difficult, but the structure is like a moving target. There's metric deletion like crazy, maybe more extreme than anything else by this group, which is saying something. It's 11 bars, then 10, then they drop a bar during solos the second time, but the bass sometimes plays 9... just mind-bending stuff, yet they make it flow and improvise like crazy over it, as if it was easy.

Just reinforces my belief that this group was on a higher plane, collectively and as individuals. To pull this stuff off so effortlessly, man...

Curious if anyone has tried to tackle this piece.

Cue Anthony coming in and telling us about how he performed it with Ron Carter when they were hanging out a few years ago, 1... 2... 3... :)
ha!!! good one 8

no never played this tune with a band ... but yeah the form gets wild

not unlike Joshua ... that form is bananas

the B section is different under solos than it is in the head .... and to make it even more interesting the part they change is the 3/4 part that feels like 4/4 because of the over the bar feel

that band was light years ahead of everyone
Old 09-03-2014, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Hadn't heard that. Good grief - moving target is right! Some great moments ... I wouldn't have even picked that it had a meter at all.

Wanted to ask your thoughts on Hermeto Pascoal. A friend has been sending me links and good listening. I understand that he played with Miles in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkwwdxx7XCg
Grea, I am not familiar with a lot of his music, but I really like the Slaves Mass album and I know he contributed to Miles' Live Evil, although I don't recall what he played. He plays everything, right? I remember Miles said something superlative about what a great musician he is, which caused me to take notice.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
ha!!! good one 8

no never played this tune with a band ... but yeah the form gets wild

not unlike Joshua ... that form is bananas

the B section is different under solos than it is in the head .... and to make it even more interesting the part they change is the 3/4 part that feels like 4/4 because of the over the bar feel

that band was light years ahead of everyone
Yeah, I immediately thought of Joshua and how we were exploring the form some time ago with the contrast between head and solo sections.

I seriously struggle with the idea that most people don't live and breathe this music. I think I'd die without it.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Grea, I am not familiar with a lot of his music, but I really like the Slaves Mass album and I know he contributed to Miles' Live Evil, although I don't recall what he played. He plays everything, right? I remember Miles said something superlative about what a great musician he is, which caused me to take notice.
Lar, I think Miles said Hermeto was one of the most important musicians on the planet. Don't know the background or context, though. Mainly piano but is a natural and plays anything and everything.

I especially recommend the Slaves Mass album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ptOJ33u1bQ. It's eclectic but the music is often related to early electric Miles and early RTF, with strong Latin influence.

HP plays all sorts of things, including many non instruments - and even "plays" a pig in the title track ... better to be given little squeezes by Hermeto than to end up on someone's plate :) Look out for him scatting with his keys solos.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 09-22-2014, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe my favorite Morello solo on YouTube. The left hand at 1:42 is from another planet. A master. http://youtu.be/Qh-nGxqo1N4
Old 09-22-2014, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe my favorite Morello solo on YouTube. The left hand at 1:42 is from another planet. A master. http://youtu.be/Qh-nGxqo1N4
love that solo

that bass drum sound gives me chills

and yo!!... that foot at 2:37
Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

anyone interested in this thread.... scratch that ... anyone interested in brilliant drumming .... go pick up the Sean Jones record Im-pro-vise Never Before Seen.... and let Obed Calvaire grace your ears with beauty

this cat embodies the truest form of artistic expression on the drums that I have heard in years

trust me on this one ... go get it
Old 10-17-2014, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

Steve Smith getting it done at the Iridium: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLgdzDK...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
Steve Smith getting it done at the Iridium: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLgdzDK...ature=youtu.be
Maybe I'm just weird, but that particular performance isn't doing much for me on the drumming side. He seemed like he wasn't quite in command or sure what he wanted to do as he was doing it.

Contrasted with Art, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IQNPlnc9c0

I'd much rather listen to that.

Again, maybe I'm just weird, or my taste in Jazz is.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

I bought this set the day it came out, but I have been re-investigating the DVD recently. This is my favorite group and there is precious little video footage of them playing live together, so this is an incredible resource. There's excellent footage of Tony attacking that ride cymbal, especially on the 10/31/67 concert.

I'm guessing Ants and all the other Tony freaks already have this, but if not, JUST GET IT:

http://www.amazon.com/LIVE-Europe-19.../dp/B005ARYEY6
Old 11-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Maybe I'm just weird, but that particular performance isn't doing much for me on the drumming side. He seemed like he wasn't quite in command or sure what he wanted to do as he was doing it.

Contrasted with Art, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IQNPlnc9c0

I'd much rather listen to that.

Again, maybe I'm just weird, or my taste in Jazz is.
I was looking at the Smith Video saying the same thing to myself, and then I scrolled up to your post and I also like the Art Blakley tube better.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I bought this set the day it came out, but I have been re-investigating the DVD recently. This is my favorite group and there is precious little video footage of them playing live together, so this is an incredible resource. There's excellent footage of Tony attacking that ride cymbal, especially on the 10/31/67 concert.

I'm guessing Ants and all the other Tony freaks already have this, but if not, JUST GET IT:

have it and love it

I always find myself saying.... show Tony show Tony!!!!!

:)
Old 11-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I am having a hard time finding this CD/ DVD for sale from other stores besides Amazon. In the past when Amazon offered the music on the CD as well as an auto-rip version, the sound quality is truly horrible on the CD. It seems like they burn a copy of the ripped version for you on the CD. So from experience I have tried to keep away from buying CD's when the auto-rip is offered. What is the sound quality of this CD from Amazon?
Old 11-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_machine View Post
I am having a hard time finding this CD/ DVD for sale from other stores besides Amazon. In the past when Amazon offered the music on the CD as well as an auto-rip version, the sound quality is truly horrible on the CD. It seems like they burn a copy of the ripped version for you on the CD. So from experience I have tried to keep away from buying CD's when the auto-rip is offered. What is the sound quality of this CD from Amazon?
I've never heard of this. What is an auto-rip? The sound of the CD from Amazon isn't going to be confused with a studio date or anything, but it's not bad enough to ruin the music.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

8Mile,

To "rip" is to copy something onto your computer.
It's usually used concerning music or video pieces.
If you lend me an album for me to try out, and I really like the music, I can "rip" it onto my computer and give you back your CD.
Now I can listen to the music anytime I want to, because I now have a copy of it.
If you go back to the Amazon page you linked to, and look just above the upper right corner of the picture of the album cover, you'll see the words "auto-rip".
Basically, you pay for the album, then they automatically send the album and store it on your computer.
There's no physical "object" to have, its all virtual.
Thus, no shipping (and waiting for the mail to arrive), so it SHOULD BE cheaper and the whole thing happens, pretty much, instantaneously.
I feel its an okie-dokie practice, if you're rather nonchalant about music and are just ripping pop pieces that you won't care about 6 months from now, but I feel you're more of a connoisseur than that. I fear that the computer your music is stored on will go down and if you can' recover it, then its lost, possibly forever.
SO, you move the rip to a "safe storage location" and in my mind, that's where ripping loses its value. If I have to store it in somekind of "safe location", I might as well just get the dam'd CD and be done with it.
...MHO.

Elvis
Old 11-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

I've been ripping my music to the hard drives for storage for many years, and lately because of the larger size hard drives available, I sometimes rip to a WAV format as opposed to the MP3 format when I want to really enjoy the music. I also back up my hard drives often and have a portable drive that works well. The sound quality is significant better in a lot of cases.

But, what I was saying before about the Amazon auto-rip being available. I just hear the qualities of the CD's to be very poor whenever they offer the auto-rip version for free with the purchase of the CD. It is like they did the cheap low quality auto-rip before you get the music. So as a rule, I have been keeping away from the purchase of CD's on Amazon when this is the case. Now, I am not totally sure about this happening 100% of the time, so that is why I posted this as a question about the sound quality of the 1967 CD.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

evolving_machine, and anyone else for that matter, you do whatever makes you happy.
I was only stating my opinion on the practicality of possessing music virtually.
If you're fine with it, go for it and more power to you.

Elvis
Old 12-15-2014, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

I'm usually reluctant to even provide my family with a Christmas list. I'm one of those "you don't have to buy me anything" cats.

Except this year. I volunteered this the minute I first heard about it. I am so excited to get this book and check it out that I can barely contain myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Note-Unco.../dp/1452141444
Old 12-15-2014, 04:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm usually reluctant to even provide my family with a Christmas list. I'm one of those "you don't have to buy me anything" cats.

Except this year. I volunteered this the minute I first heard about it. I am so excited to get this book and check it out that I can barely contain myself.

wow

I'll be picking that one up very soon

thanks 8
Old 12-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I picked up the book and it is blowing my mind
Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I picked up the book and it is blowing my mind
Fantastic! I, myself, will have to wait until after Christmas to see if someone buys it for me. With my luck, nobody will, and I'll have to wait a few more days to order it for myself.

Considering your whole life is pretty much engineered to make me envious, I'm surprised your copy didn't come with Wayne Shorter, Ants. :)
Old 12-20-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Also, all I want for Christmas is to be able to play like Nate Wood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_-3gTbw3Jc#t=91
Old Yesterday, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

I've seen clips from this concert before, but I somehow never saw this particular performance. The sound and camerawork are terrific, maybe the best chance to watch Tony doing his thing in a more traditional style (even though this is post-Lifetime, you'll see what I mean). And playing Paiste! The drums sound sublime, too.

http://youtu.be/JHfbIPqTCcc
Old Today, 03:04 AM

Quote:
I've seen clips from this concert before, but I somehow never saw this particular performance. The sound and camerawork are terrific, maybe the best chance to watch Tony doing his thing in a more traditional style (even though this is post-Lifetime, you'll see what I mean). And playing Paiste! The drums sound sublime, too.

http://youtu.be/JHfbIPqTCcc
That was sooooo awesome. Thanks for sharing! Absolutely love seeing Tony in high quality like that. And damn, that Chick solo was ridiculous!