DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:19 PM

Default Buying options, need help!

I have recently decided to buy a new drum kit. I have a sound purcussion 5pc drum kit. I've been playing for about 4 years. I have about $1000.00 to spend and I already have a couple options of what i would like to buy. The tama silverstar 6pc or the gretsch Catalina 7pc. What are the pros and cons of those two sets and are there any other kits that would be better thanks.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Buying options, need help!

For $1000, you can get a Pro shell pack on clearance (or used). IE, you can get a renown rather than a catalina.

Before we go down that road, please tell us about your current setup. We'd be doing you a great disservice is we recommended buying expensive shells while you're on ZBT/B8 cymbals and beginner hardware.

Will you be selling your old kit to recoup costs, or using it as a beater?

Also tell us your (approximate) location, as a number of Craigslist wizards live here.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:02 PM

Well they're both really great kits, I've only played the Gretsch a few times in a four piece and it sounded great. I own the Silverstar so I might be a little biased here cuz I hear it everyday.

Anyways, one is maple (the Gretsch) and the other is birch (the Tama) so first you need to decide what kind of sound you are going for. A quick sounding drum with a lesser amount of low end will probably lead you to the tama, while something with a longer sustain and a lot more low end will lead you to the Gretsch. With my kit, my kick drum sounds amazing when I'm playing rock or metal, but when it comes down to playing jazz or latin grooves, it comes off sounding like its lacking something. The toms of a birch are quick with a little bit a sustain so that's good for any genre there. The snare I didn't use because it sounded terrible, so that's another thing to look out for. Are you going to be using the snare it comes with or are you going to buy one separately?

It's all preference though, They both sound really great. My suggestion would be to go to a local music store and see what they have there. Most Guitar Centers will have a lot of kits set up on the floor so you can try them out and hear them in person.

That's just my two cents. If you have any more question, specifically about the silverstar, let me know.

Hope this helped,
Dan
Old 07-17-2014, 09:51 PM

Is tama a better brand then gretsch, or visa Versa?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholland10 View Post
Is tama a better brand then gretsch, or visa Versa?
Most brands deliver 4 tiers of kits. Beginner, Intermediate, Pro, and "Awesomesauce". No one brand is better than the other. Some may offer subtleties (Birch shells) that some consumers desire, but an intermediate kit will always be an intermediate kit regardless of the badge. Bottom line, a Pro kit by any brand will trump an intermediate kit by any other brand.

Both Gretsch and Tama make fine kits. I'd also look at Ludwig (Check out the Signet 105's and Elements), Mapex, Sonor, DW, Yamaha, Pearl, and Pacific.

Take your time. Look around. Used should be 50% of the new price. Clearance should be 70% of the new price.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:36 PM

Awesome thanks much.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:38 PM

What tier do you think the tama silver-star / gretsch Catalina would be?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:52 PM

Take a look at the manufacturer's site, as each has a number of offerings, I'm more familiar with the gretsch family tree than Tama, so some of the Tama fans here may have to fix my breakdown, as each offering has several derivatives (Maple, SK, VK, and Limited Editions)

Gretsch:
Beginner: Energy/Renegade new500/used250
Intermediate: Catalina new1000/used500 for a full Catalina maple.
Pro: Renown new1700/used850, not sure abut marquee
AWESOMESAUCE: Brooklyn, USA

Tama:
Beginner: Imperialstar
Intermediate: Silverstar, Superstar
Pro: Starclassic
AWESOMESAUCE: Starclassic Maple?

If you're going to be spending $1000, you should, at the very least, be getting a Renown or a Starclassic. Remember that Pro kits often do not include a snare. If you need to budget it, $100 gets you a used Acrolite, $200 gets you a used Supra.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have recently decided to buy a new drum kit. I have a sound purcussion 5pc drum kit. I've been playing for about 4 years. I have about $1000.00 to spend and I already have a couple options of what i would like to buy. The tama silverstar 6pc or the gretsch Catalina 7pc. What are the pros and cons of those two sets and are there any other kits that would be better thanks.

What kind of cymbals do you have?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Take a look at the manufacturer's site, as each has a number of offerings, I'm more familiar with the gretsch family tree than Tama, so some of the Tama fans here may have to fix my breakdown, as each offering has several derivatives (Maple, SK, VK, and Limited Editions)

Gretsch:
Beginner: Energy/Renegade new500/used250
Intermediate: Catalina new1000/used500 for a full Catalina maple.
Pro: Renown new1700/used850, not sure abut marquee
AWESOMESAUCE: Brooklyn, USA

Tama:
Beginner: Imperialstar
Intermediate: Silverstar, Superstar
Pro: Starclassic
AWESOMESAUCE: Starclassic Maple?

If you're going to be spending $1000, you should, at the very least, be getting a Renown or a Starclassic. Remember that Pro kits often do not include a snare. If you need to budget it, $100 gets you a used Acrolite, $200 gets you a used Supra.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pc-Gretsch-...-/190884219216

These are pretty good
Old 07-18-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I can vouch for their quality, as I own the same kit in the same color. You can buy them brand new for $1000, used for $800. By buying used/clearance, he could get the kit and a supra.

I'm still worried that after all is said an done, the gent will have a Renown with B8's.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:38 AM

I have terrible cymbals. I will end up buying new ones.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I have terrible cymbals. I will end up buying new ones.
You said you want to spend $1000? Is that just for the kit or for the kit and the cymbals too?

If this is the case, I would if I were in your shoes, buy a four or five piece shell pack, in the intermediate range (so $500-650) and use the rest towards getting a nice pack of cymbals and heads.

Also if you're trying to save with cymbals, I would either try getting used from a local music store, or get Paiste Alphas, or Meinl Classics or MB8.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:51 AM

1000 just for shell packs.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
1000 just for shell packs.
Shells + snare, or just shells?
Old 07-18-2014, 02:12 AM

Snare and shell pack.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:44 AM

Alright, so here are the best options in your price range:

PDP CONCEPT MAPLE http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...ece-shell-pack

TAMA SILVERSTAR BIRCH: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...ver-shell-pack

TAMA SUPERSTAR HYPER-DRIVE BIRCH WITH SHALLOWER AND ISOLATED TOMS FROM THE KICK http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...#productDetail

PEARL VISION MAPLE http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...ard-shell-pack

GRETSCH CATALINA MAPLE http://www.amazon.com/Gretsch-Drums-.../dp/B00HFP38OI

So if that narrows down your options, what kind of music are you looking to play on it and are you going to be recording on it, doing gigs, or just jamming at home with it?
Old 07-18-2014, 04:31 AM

Recording and gigs and home play. Playing mostly rock and some metal
Old 07-18-2014, 04:56 AM

Also looking to but a cymbal set package. Preferably with 2 crash's a ride and a splash hopefully under $400.00 if not one crash will do. What package would do the trick.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Also looking to but a cymbal set package. Preferably with 2 crash's a ride and a splash hopefully under $400.00 if not one crash will do. What package would do the trick.
dag. we've been trolled gents.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
These are all more in the $500 range but I think if you got one of the kits I mentioned above which are all around $900, you'll even out your budget.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...-18-inch-crash

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...ck-cymbal-pack

or in your price range:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...-set-brilliant

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...-4-cymbal-pack

I would personally do either the Meinl Classics or the ZIlldjian ZHT's with either the Pearl or the Tama SIlverstar. They're known to be very reliable, easy to tune up with tons of parts and accessories if you ever want to upgrade anything, and they're very world wide well known brands that will be easy to obtain anything you need for it. It's entirely up to you though.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
dag. we've been trolled gents.
Yeah, that's a little different than the $1,000 for drums I was thinking.

In this case, I'd purchase a new or used snare (used Ludwig Acrolite?) and some nice used or new cymbals with the money, and keep the SP 5pc kit. A nice cymbal pack, or selection of used -and that snare, shouldn't be more than $800-$1,000 and could last a lifetime.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Please use the search function of the forum,since this topic has been discussed here, ad infinitum at least 1,000 times.

Steve B
Old 07-18-2014, 01:57 PM

How about these cymbal packs are they going to be a waste or are they a good buy.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Meinl-HC...75-i2707531.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Zildjian...17-i2131923.gc
Old 07-19-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
How about these cymbal packs are they going to be a waste or are they a good buy.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Meinl-HC...75-i2707531.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Zildjian...17-i2131923.gc
I mean they're good if you plan to use them for a year at most. I got a ZBT pack a while ago and they're all finished except for the bottom hi-hat. I think if you have a $1000 bucks for drums and $300 for cymbals, you should spend money on some new heads for your SP kit, get a used snare somewhere as Brian said, and spend the rest of your money on a NICE ride, two NICE crashes and maybe some kind of effect cymbal (china, splashes) especially with rock and metal.

I would watch videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udooOap4m2c and see if you could get the best out of your kit, and spend the rest on cymbals. Makes a little more sense I think.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:15 AM

Well the problem is my sp kit I have right now is so trash, that's it's more economical to buy a new kit. So my plan was to spend about 1000 on a new kit 300-400 on a cymbal pack and then keep upgrading cymbals and china exc and eventually snare.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well the problem is my sp kit I have right now is so trash, that's it's more economical to buy a new kit. So my plan was to spend about 1000 on a new kit 300-400 on a cymbal pack and then keep upgrading cymbals and china exc and eventually snare.
I would spend $500 on the drums and $900 on the cymbals, or $700 and $700. Mid-range drums can be made to sound good with good heads and tuning. Cymbals sound how they sound. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 07-19-2014, 06:53 PM

Then what if you get a five piece silverstar or catalina which is around $600 and then spend the rest on cymbals?
Old 07-19-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsDrummer View Post
Then what if you get a five piece silverstar or catalina which is around $600 and then spend the rest on cymbals?
I think that's about the best idea going. Your total budget is ~$1500. You can get an excellent intermediate kit for half of that or less.

As others have noted, pretty much any kit can be made to sound good (for a given value of "good"), provided it has good bearing edges, good heads, and judicious tuning. Your cymbals are what they are.

If it were my money, I'd reverse priorities between drums and cymbals, get the cymbal sound I want, then go look for the best drums I can find - new or used - with the remainder.

Bob Davis

St Croix, USVI - America's Caribbean
Old 07-22-2014, 02:34 AM

Check out Craigslist.
You can often get a decent deal with shells and cymbals that might fit your price range, though your choices will be a little more limited.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:50 AM
v.zarate
This message has been deleted by v.zarate.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:27 AM
Silver Member

Sounds to me like you have a budget of $1400ish?

If I were you, I would get an intermediate kit for 500-600 and spend the rest on cymbals and hardware. Those tama silverstar kits are good kit. So are the catalinas. There are also a few other kits in that price range that are good too! I would spend some good money on cymbals. Kits can sound good and be made to sound great with aftermarket heads and a tune, cymbals cant. If you buy crap cymbals, your pretty much stuck with crap sound until you sell them. I recommend looking into the common stuff...

Good/decent stuff - sabian xs20 or paiste pst7, alphas
great/pros stuff - zildjian A, A custom, and K's..... sabian AA, AAX, HH, HHX...

theres a few others too. Do your research and go test stuff out at your local music store...

ive had the sabian xs20s in brilliant finish and they were good. I only recently swapped over to zildjian A customs. they were what I originally feel in love with when I started playing 10 years ago and didnt have the cash for. Hit a few of them, determined they all sounded great and bought a box. Even got a small discount cause it was black friday. I couldnt be any happier with them.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
There are ways to make crap drums sound better..I think you have your drumming priorities mixed up. Get the good cymbals and snare first, then worry about the drums. To be honest, if you can tune OK, and you know how to change a head, your drums will sound fine and nobody besides you will really give a crap about the drum sound. Nice sounding drums are great, I love them too, but having good cymbals, a good snare & back-up snare, and gig-ready hardware is more important.