DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 PM

Default what else do i need...

hi guys,
I am looking to do some home recording of just me playing drums but sometimes with my band as well.
I already have a macbook pro with logic pro on it and a set of 7 drum mics.
If it was possible i would also like to use the audio interface to use for recording live and live monitering.
Thanks Jack.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:48 PM

Default Re: what else do i need...

can anyone advise me on equipment please
Thanks Jack
Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 PM
audiotech

Have a little patience Jack, it was only an hour since your original post. Minds are probably at work making an attempt to answer your question and depending on location, many people are getting ready for work at this time of day.

You'll get some positive results.

Dennis
Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

You need either an audio interface, or a mixer, with enough simultaneous inputs/outputs to handle each track/instrument that you want to process individually.

If you were recording just guitar or bass, you might need only one or two inputs with the same number of outputs. Drums can still be handled the same way, with one mic straight out, or 2 or more pre-mixed down to the number of outs you have.

The advantage of having multiple individual outs, is that once they are tracked, they can be processed separately.

Mixing and audio processing can be handled 'in the box' nowadays, so you don't need individual compressors/fx and so on for each track. But any tracks that have multiple instruments (or drums) on them, will have the same processing applied to them.

You may want to have separate outs (with corresponding tracks), for your bass drum, snare, toms and cymbals, or even go so far as having each piece having its own track.
The other extreme is to mix everything down to one mono or stereo track, and then process that.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM

thankyou for the info. do you know what type of mixer i would need because i am confused between anologue and digital mixers and would the mixer need a usb out for computer recording.
Thanks Jack
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

My gear isn't up-to-date. I haven't bought stuff like that for a while.

But anyways, I have a digital mixer (Yamaha 01V), and several audio interfaces. One of the audio cards has multiple ins/outs, so I can pre-mix stuff, and then send it to the main and auxillary outs, into the audio card, and then assign tracks from there.

There's some newer mixers with usb2 or firewire that combine both the mixing and audio card functions, but I'm not too up on them.

You can keep it real simple too. Just run one or two mics into whatever your stock soundcard your computer is using. You might not be satisfied with the results you get from that though.

There's also stand-alone recorders, that eliminate the need for using a computer. They usually have somewhere between 4 and 16 inputs, but normally you can only use some of them at the same time. They're quick and easy to use, and good for making band demos and so on, depending on how fussy you are about the results you expect to get. Editing is pretty tedious though, compared to using a computer.

But there's too many variables to give general advice. You're going to have to do some research and digging, to find what meets your needs.
Before that though, you've got to define what your needs are when it comes to recording your drums.