DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 06-06-2012, 04:04 PM

Default Slingerland 7x12 copper snare

I just got a Slingerland 7x12 copper snare. I couldn't find much info on it, but it could be made in Taiwan in the 90's.
I changed the batter side to an Evans Genera Dry.
Snare side to hazy 200 - the head however broke during tuning. The mylar was pulled out of the adhesive. Bummer! Anyway put back the stock head which is in reasonable condition.
Also installed a 30 wire Puresound strainer.

This is my first side snare and the objective was to find a drum that can be used in a wide range of music - not as an effect. I think I have succeeded, the drum sounds great, is in good condition and I guess its also somewhat a rarity.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Slingerland 7x12 copper snare

It looks nice. I used to want one of those. I hope it works out for you. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 06-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Your drum is probably late 70's early 80's,and made when Hohner owned Slingerland.The Model is either an Artist or Sound king,as both drums had those lugs and a Zoomatic strainer.The shell material,is however brass or possibly bronze.Even though it looks copper,Slingerland never made all copper snare drums.I have a Spitfire model snare from that era also in lacquered brass,and it looks like its copper.Its just the alloy that they were using at the time.

Though all of the catalogs state the shells were brass,more than a few collectors say some of those drums were bronze alloy,but never copper.Your drum is somewhat rare,but not considered collectable,so it's real value is as a great sounding player.The shells were relativly thin,so stay away from high tension tunings.They sound better in medium to low tunings anyway.

Nice snare......good luck.:)

Steve B
Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 AM

These were advertised as being made of copper. I bought one online in the late 90s. I'll see if I can't dig up the receipt to confirm. These are good drums but they can be a bear to tune. They do cut through though.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

In the 90s there were drums with the Slingerland name that included a copper snare.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 06-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
The shells were relativly thin,so stay away from high tension tunings.They sound better in medium to low tunings anyway.
... and additionally do not tighten too much the snares: the Zoomatic strainer tends to bend the shell when the tension is very high.

Concerning the production era and place: the badge seems to be a Niles - Illinois one, and I think the snare was produces during the eighties.

Finally, it's a very interesting snare you have there, and I like it very much even from a purely esthetic point of view. Congratulations!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:35 PM

Thanks guys.

This link
http://snaredrumz.blogspot.com/2010/...nare-drum.html
Suggests Taiwanese made.

This link
http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/...-copper-snare/
Suggests the 90's

I am pretty certain that the snare is copper. The color is for sure copper and when I took the heads off there was nothing to suggest that its only copper plated.

It really sounds great and could be used as a main snare as well.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jornthedrummer View Post
Thanks guys.

This link
http://snaredrumz.blogspot.com/2010/...nare-drum.html
Suggests Taiwanese made.

This link
http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/...-copper-snare/
Suggests the 90's

I am pretty certain that the snare is copper. The color is for sure copper and when I took the heads off there was nothing to suggest that its only copper plated.

It really sounds great and could be used as a main snare as well.

It is copper and has a nice, wood sound. A highly underrated snare drum that geta a bad reputation for being from the Music Yo era. If you take the time to learn its nuances you will probably hang on to it for a long time.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

I stand corrected.That drum is in fact copper,and from the Music Yo period.I at first thought it was an 80's period drum.They are one of the best bargains in the drum world,and actually highly reguarded by those in the know,and in fact sound like a way more expensive drum.

They are also tough to come by.My apoligies for the bad info about the shell material.

Steve B
Old 06-09-2012, 04:14 AM

Yep, I found the receipt and it is from the Music Yo timeframe. Now I've got to find the snare. Man, I hope I didn't sell that thing! Thanks for reminding me guys.