DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Default Anyone try JoJo's new pedal yet?

I just noticed that the new JoJo pedal from Sonar was available at Memphis Drum Shop. Anyone try it in person yet?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 AM
audiotech

Default Re: Anyone try JoJo's new pedal yet?

Yes, I did several weeks ago. Other than its foldability and having the Sonor name, nothing really stood out for me to give it a second try, but then again I feel the same way towards the new Ludwig pedal. I'm sure many will find it the best thing since sliced bread. I already have nine pedals, so maybe it's just my mind telling me that I don't need another, lol.

Dennis
Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

I played an older pedal with a linear cam last week and it was a bit gutless, I wonder if this sonor thing is the same. It's not like you play ghost notes on a bass drum so why would you forfeit power for 'finesse'? I guess I'm no JoJo. So many ppl jumped on the band wagon before it even hit shops, it was all very confusing.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
I played an older pedal with a linear cam last week and it was a bit gutless, I wonder if this sonor thing is the same. It's not like you play ghost notes on a bass drum so why would you forfeit power for 'finesse'? I guess I'm no JoJo. So many ppl jumped on the band wagon before it even hit shops, it was all very confusing.
I think the answer would be that many players do play dynamically on the bass drum. "Playing for power" is the pedal doing a microphone's job. Use a tool that allows musicality, and reinforce with the PA if volume is needed. You'd be amazed how many times additional volume is not needed, and the lower baseline volume just may allow paying gigs in smaller rooms.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 PM

I spent a lot of time with this pedal and it was great. Not only did it feel great, it was made really well. Most pedal makers are only worried about making the beater get to the bass head faster. They forget about how it comes back. If you alter the initial throw, you compromise the re-coil. The round cam design was true and accurate. I felt a huge difference in this pedal. I am around gear all day and personally have over 15 pedals and this one will be added to my collection. Check it out if you haven't already.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
I certainly do play ghost notes on the bass drum. I have a light, strap-drive pedal that is perfect for this. Jojo's pedal looks very good for dynamic playing.