DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-31-2012, 02:08 AM
Silver Member

Default 2 clamps on the one cymbal stand. Is this safe? (Pictures included!)

I found a spare clamp and arm when looking for another cymbal stand for my cymbals but obviously, only have few boom stands (and I'm low on cash until next week THEN I can get a stand) but because this cymbal stand has a tom mounted via clamp on it I think it could be a little heavy? It tilts a little when I pull towards me so I'm not sure if it's that safe when playing.

Here are some pictures so you guys can judge.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:24 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: 2 clamps on the one cymbal stand. Is this safe? (Pictures included!)

Photo's never posted...
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2012, 02:55 AM

Default Re: 2 clamps on the one cymbal stand. Is this safe? (Pictures included!)

You should be fine. It might shake a little bit but it won't collapse on you especially if it's double braced. What you might want to do is just make sure that your weight load is over the legs themselves. That will help.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:00 AM

Also try rotating the clamps so both of them come off the stand on opposite sides, this will counteract the force the tom has on the stand which may help keep the tom in place too.

Next week, PM me I have a few extra stands I'm willing to get rid of for cheap if you can do paypal, straight and boom.

Last edited by Richards1008; 05-31-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to include
Old 05-31-2012, 03:01 AM
Silver Member

At one point I had 12" and 13" rack toms, a ride cymbal, and a crash all flying off of one Pearl C900 stand. It was stable as a rock. If yours isn't, you don't have the legs of the stand in the right position. Be sure to have one leg directly under the middle of the weight of whatever is hanging from the stand. It's hard to tell much from your photos, but it looks like there's a pair of cymbals with the tom in the middle? Then you'll probably end up with a leg right under the tom.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:04 AM
Platinum Member

Check out the thread of my kit (in my signature...). There, you will see an example of this working, and working well. No tipping or lack of stability. I trust this set up with my favorite cymbals...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
At one point I had 12" and 13" rack toms, a ride cymbal, and a crash all flying off of one Pearl C900 stand. It was stable as a rock. If yours isn't, you don't have the legs of the stand in the right position. Be sure to have one leg directly under the middle of the weight of whatever is hanging from the stand. It's hard to tell much from your photos, but it looks like there's a pair of cymbals with the tom in the middle? Then you'll probably end up with a leg right under the tom.
These are the new Mapex stands. I have it really flat so it's pretty stable and puts more weight on the bottom. Maybe I should rotate the legs a little. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards1008 View Post
Also try rotating the clamps so both of them come off the stand on opposite sides, this will counteract the force the tom has on the stand which may help keep the tom in place too.
Great! I've tried that now, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Compactness View Post
You should be fine. It might shake a little bit but it won't collapse on you especially if it's double braced. What you might want to do is just make sure that your weight load is over the legs themselves. That will help.
It does seem fine now, but I'll mess around with it tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 AM
Gold Member

Just depends on how strong your stand is and if you have the weight centered over the legs properly. I had 14 and 16 toms and a 18" cymbal attached to one stand plus a 12 splash clamped to the rims mount on the larger tom then have the same thing again but 10 and 12 toms, 17" cymbal and 10" splash on another stand then have a 12" snare, 16 cymbal, 19 chineese, tamborine, jam block and cow bell on another stand and been gigging them that way over 10 years with no problems.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Agreed with the other posters - make sure the weight is distributed evenly over the tripod legs and you should have no issues. I have a 14" tom (used in a floor tom position), a heavy ride, two 18" crashes, and a 20" china mounted on one (single-braced!) stand in my current setup with no issues whatsoever. I have more issues with carrying the stand than with its stability...!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Check out the thread of my kit (in my signature...). There, you will see an example of this working, and working well. No tipping or lack of stability. I trust this set up with my favorite cymbals...
LOVE those vintage blue & olive badge Ludwigs.
I had a great set from 1973 of the same............wish I would have not traded those in in 1977............love lost !
Old 05-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

If it's stable, it's safe.

I've had a floor tom and a china clamped to the same stand as my ride in the past. Rock solid, never had a problem with it:
Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 AM

That must be a mighty stand!