DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 05-19-2012, 01:36 AM

Default Tama Octobans vs. Pearl Quarter Toms

I am a Dream Theater and specially Mike Portnoy fan. I got my starclassic kit, but Im stuck on octobans. Here in toronto, 2 low-pitch tama octobans + stand will cost me about 600 dollars, though two pearl quarter toms ( pearls version of octobans) including the stand will cost around 380 + tax.

Price difference is obviously high, but how is the sound difference? Has anyone actually played both?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tama Octobans vs. Pearl Quarter Toms

The Pearls have an aluminum shell which does give them a bit more of a sharper sound, compared to a slightly warmer sound of the Tamas.

But overall, the difference in tone is fairly minor and really splitting hairs IMHO.

I really have never understood how Tama can justify so much money for a set of Octobans when equivalents are available from other manufactures for less money. (see the Ddrum deccobans as an another example).

I used to dig Octobans back when the Police were big and Stewart Copeland used them.
And while I'm a HUGE Dream Theater fan, I kind of think the whole octoban thing is so over done now; you can't buy a prog-metal record without hearing them these days.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:28 AM

True , I agree with the overdone note..
Are the ddrums comparible though? I always looked at them as a cheap quality Tama want-to-be.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roozeh60 View Post
True , I agree with the overdone note..
Are the ddrums comparible though? I always looked at them as a cheap quality Tama want-to-be.
Well, look at an actual Tama Octoban, it's just plastic/pvc/whatever tube with a 1960's era clip mount, 4 lugs and a drum head. It's not exactly a high quality with attention to detail product into itself. Tama hasn't changed the design of them since they came out in the 1980's.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Well, look at an actual Tama Octoban, it's just plastic/pvc/whatever tube with a 1960's era clip mount, 4 lugs and a drum head. It's not exactly a high quality with attention to detail product into itself. Tama hasn't changed the design of them since they came out in the 1980's.

You have a point. Thanks for the hints man, ddrum it is
Old 05-20-2012, 01:04 AM

I love but do not own a set. The BIG difference between Tama and all others is that Tama's hoops is rolled in on top and short. This brings the hoops edge down to approx. 1/8-1/16 above the bearing edge as opposed to a regular triple flange hoop. This affects playability with a target that small. Also I believe the Tama's are made of a fiberous resin rather than PVC. The Ddrums do sound very good at their price point and are comparable to the Tamas. The Pearls do have a slightly different vibe.
If I had the cheese, I'd get Bill at Pork Pie to make a set like he made for Tim Alexander back in the day. Those were clear acrylic with NO seam and sounded awesome, but he told me they would crack if you looked at them wrong and didn't like working with the material.

http://youtu.be/asAa1_N_rso
Old 05-20-2012, 04:25 PM

It's worth keeping an eye out for used octobans. I picked up a low set many years ago used & still use them for some recording situations. I really like the sound, as many drummers do, which perhaps explains why Tama hasn't tinkered with the product in all this time.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the hints!! Yeah that rim can really make a difference sice the drum is only 6".. I actually never thought about that. And maybe I really should wait for that octoban deal that I shall find one day... Ive been searchin but so far no luck..