DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

Default Evans heads a journey for the perfect sound

Hey guys I thought I would start a thread to document my journey for the perfect sound. I recently (within the last couple years or so) got really back into playing live and gigging. I had purchased an E kit to get the chops back up after a longer than necessary break (left the Army, had to find a job and so on).

My first acoustic kit after many years was a PDP Maple shelled kit. I started with stock heads but quickly replaced them. I decided on coated Remo Emps over stock heads.

Eventually I replaced all my heads on that kit with Evans heads after listening to countless videos, recordings and so on.

For my snare I used a Genera snare head over hazy 200. Sensitivity and sound were great.
I opted for G2 clears for all toms and sound also great.

After selling my old kit I moved up to a pro level kit and now I got ten times more particular about sound. Currently I am trying to find the right sound for my Prolites (thin maple shelled kit) and have tried a few:

Toms:

G1 coated over Stock (clear ambassadors) warm sound but a bit too controlled for my taste with coated - likely good for recording

G2 coated over Stock (clear ambassadors) warm darker sound and I prefer this over the coated G1's. I think also a much more durable head and would also record well.

Bass:

Emad clear batter with stock reso (ported 3.5" dia.)

I just ordered G2 Clears, EC2 SST clear and G1 clears (for reso side) and I will keep everyone posted.

First up will be the tried and true G2 clear over G1 clear. Sure I am spending good money on heads but then again my drums cost me 3k Euro.

What I hope is that this might help other Prolite, possibly DW or other drummers with maple shelled kits also. To organize things and make more sense I am going to create a spreadsheet.
Session Work
Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Evans heads a journey for the perfect sound

I too play a fairly thin shelled maple kit (soon to be replaced), & that kit has seen lots of gigs. After a fair amount of experimentation, I came back to G2 over G1 clears. Just as in the drums themselves, I think you get used to teasing your sound palate out of a certain head combo, & these do it for me, every time.

Looking forward to your findings :)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I too play a fairly thin shelled maple kit (soon to be replaced), & that kit has seen lots of gigs. After a fair amount of experimentation, I came back to G2 over G1 clears. Just as in the drums themselves, I think you get used to teasing your sound palate out of a certain head combo, & these do it for me, every time.

Looking forward to your findings :)
Thanks I will keep you posted. Also FWIW I am in the market for a new snare. I was going to buy the Benny Grebb Sonor snare but I think you might know of a company that makes some nice snares. Shipping from the UK to Germany shouldn't be bad right!
Session Work
Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Great post!
I'm waiting for my Gretsch Catalina mahogny kit that will arrive any day now.
I am thinking of putting Evans G2 Coated over stock reso heads. I like the fat sound they produce. Not sure why they are so expensive though? For instance, coated ambassador coast like 30% less.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
Great post!
I am thinking of putting Evans G2 Coated over stock reso heads. I like the fat sound they produce. Not sure why they are so expensive though? For instance, coated ambassador coast like 30% less.
G2 is a 2 ply head and the Ambassador is a single ply, the Emperor is the 2 ply equivalent The response 2 is the Aquarian equivalent and will last twice as long as either plus the coating is much more durable and they are cheaper in price as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Administrator

FWIW I am now using G14's on my toms and love them. Fat, low, and durable. Like me. lol
Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
FWIW I am now using G14's on my toms and love them. Fat, low, and durable. Like me. lol
Nice I will give those a try!

Yesterday I had a practice session with the band. After hours of tuning and moving all over the range with them I got them where I wanted. I somewhat was just frustrated by then and so I didnt care much. Heck even one of my singers thought I was nuts as I was sitting there tapping away near the lugs.

Well we went into our set and wow! The toms were just singing; I could really tell the difference in the maple shells. This was with coated G2's over stock heads (10mil clear ambassadors).

My band mates might think I am crazy but I think first you should get your drums sounding good before anything else. Sure we have an awesome sound guy and all but still I think the fundamental sound should be right on.
Session Work
Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 AM
Silver Member

Ok so when I find sometime (aka my newborn is not driving my wife crazy) I am going to start changing things up. I did put a Genera snare head on my BG snare.

Got a gig Friday so I might throw on the Clear G2's and G1's....if I have time.

In other news I now I have an excuse to see Yo Gabba Gabba Live....again. The Aquabats Super Show is pretty rad also.
Attached Images

Session Work
Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
Great post!
Not sure why....I just use them! I agree though that coated G2's do give you a fat sound. Honestly I was very surprised when I started rehearsing with the band and they all noticed the difference with coated G2's. I honestly might leave them on for my gig Friday.
Session Work
Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Great thread. I've got a set of coated G1 I need to put on....I'm in a similar boat. Newborn is taking up all my time. Haven't even looked at my drums since she was born last week.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 AM

So I received all of my heads in the post today, so will be tuning tonight when I get home. I've got Evans G2 Coated for batters and G1 clear for reso's. I'm quite new to this though, so is the general consensus that I tune them both to the same tightness (finger turning tight) and then go from there or is there a more recommended way of doing this? I'm looking for a more 'thuddy fat' sound from my toms (12" & 14") if this helps at all.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboyt View Post
So I received all of my heads in the post today, so will be tuning tonight when I get home. I've got Evans G2 Coated for batters and G1 clear for reso's. I'm quite new to this though, so is the general consensus that I tune them both to the same tightness (finger turning tight) and then go from there or is there a more recommended way of doing this? I'm looking for a more 'thuddy fat' sound from my toms (12" & 14") if this helps at all.
Good morning! Normally a good starting point is both heads equal tension. For me I usually tune my reso head slightly higher tension than batter.

I promise I am still working on this; I just got in a lot of new hardware to reconfigure my kit. Once I am done I will work again on heads and tuning.
Session Work
Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 AM

Cheers, that's what seems to be the thought line in threads similar to this. I'll post my feedback when I get to tuning later, it may be of some help to someone else like me starting out there in the world of tuning.

Quite excited now!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

Yes and I think it can save money when you have input of others looking for that "sound".

BTW many years ago I was in the UK training the with the Parachute Regiment. Let me tell you I have the highest respect for the Para's. I had such a great time in the UK and getting to train with and earn my British Army parachute wings was something I am still very proud of.
Session Work
Old 06-13-2012, 12:39 PM

That's good to hear, I have an old friend who moved here from New Zealand to join the Para's so they must do something right!

Whereabouts did you train?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:06 PM

Has anyone tried coated G plus over G1's ? Im using the G2 over G1 combo right now and was considering a change but before I plunk down any moolah, I would like to know what you guys think.

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

IMHO, the bottom/resonant head on tom is nearly as important as the top/batter heads. On my Gretsch toms I have clear G2 over EC Resonant, and they sound amazing. I really want to try the new G14 batter heads. Good luck.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillgroovin View Post
Has anyone tried coated G plus over G1's ? Im using the G2 over G1 combo right now and was considering a change but before I plunk down any moolah, I would like to know what you guys think.
Yes I have...I'm now using Gplus coated over G1 clears...amazing sound IMO...prior to using the Gplus I was using EC2 SST clears on top..they sounded good as well...but the Gplus just have more resonance to them (warmer too)..and the floor toms (mounted) sound like thunder with them...LOL..
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Rebel

First off - I really like your title, a journey for the perfect sound...Which I think is an infinite subject to achieve the perfect sound.

Anyway, my own personal experience with Stock, Evans G1 clear, Evans G1 coated, Aquarian snare side, Remo Ambassador heads. Led me onto this and I actually enjoy the sound:

1. Remo Ambassador (Smooth White): on the snare, batter & resonant sides. It gives a bright tone, long sustain.

2. Remo Ambassador (Smooth White): on the high tom & floor tom, batter sides.

3. Evans G1 (Clear): on the high tom, resonant side.

4. Evans G1 (Coated): on the floor tom, resonant side.

Cheers!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
That's good to hear, I have an old friend who moved here from New Zealand to join the Para's so they must do something right!

Whereabouts did you train?
Let's see if I can get this correct:

We started out in the Connaught Barracks in Dover. Then it was off to Aldershot Garrison. Then off to some RAF Base where they train the Para's. I thought it was great that the RAF conducted the training. For us grunts it meant better chow and living quarters. Then it was a long field problem in Army Training Estate Salisbury Plain.

Besides that we also spent time in London, downtown Dover, visited parts of Oxford and honestly many other places I dont recall except for the pubs. I do recall that as a younger American I had the cool accent whenever I talked to the girls in the pubs. Also everyone could drink us under the table.

Back on topic....I will be trying some new head combo's on my 12" tom and keeping everyone posted. A lot easier to change one tom (the one I think the hardest to tune) to get an idea of the sound.

Keep in mind my sound is all relative to where I am in my practice room and with the wonderful Bavarian weather.
Session Work
Old 06-20-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSFC View Post
Let's see if I can get this correct:

We started out in the Connaught Barracks in Dover. Then it was off to Aldershot Garrison. Then off to some RAF Base where they train the Para's. I thought it was great that the RAF conducted the training. For us grunts it meant better chow and living quarters. Then it was a long field problem in Army Training Estate Salisbury Plain.

Besides that we also spent time in London, downtown Dover, visited parts of Oxford and honestly many other places I dont recall except for the pubs. I do recall that as a younger American I had the cool accent whenever I talked to the girls in the pubs. Also everyone could drink us under the table.

Back on topic....I will be trying some new head combo's on my 12" tom and keeping everyone posted. A lot easier to change one tom (the one I think the hardest to tune) to get an idea of the sound.

Keep in mind my sound is all relative to where I am in my practice room and with the wonderful Bavarian weather.
I live in Dover, funnily enough, and I still reckon we could drink you under the table ;)
Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Well now I am an adopted German (more like Bavarian) so I have learned to drink :-) The family and I plan on visiting the UK again soon and I would like to return to Dover. Perhaps a visit to The Eight Bells is in order?

Back on the topic....when my studio is setup I would like to use a spectrum analyzer when comparing all the different heads I have. What I honestly hope for is quantifiable data. Obviously shell material, weather, and so forth will all be a variable but hopefully it will guide myself and others to what they are looking for.

What I can say for now is that Coated G2's over clear G1's produce a very deep throaty sound that is very warm. Slightly less attack than clear G2's.
Session Work
Old 06-20-2012, 04:34 PM

I imagine it's changed a fair bit since you've last visited, the Eight Bells is quite a grotty pub now, I'd recommend the Red Lion instead.

But yes, back to the topic, I have finally put on the coated G2's over the clear G1's, however I haven't had time to properly test them but that will come tonight. I've also got some mylar rings to help get the sound I want.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

Hey everyone I recently settled on this combination so far:

G2 Clear batter over G1 reso. I posted pics on my other thread.

To my ears this setup gives me an equal sound of attack over tone with my kit.
I think its worth noting that I can tell the difference between the Evans G1 vs. clear
Remo Ambassadors.
Session Work
Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

Just a quick update. I purchased the Tunebot the other day and I had plenty of time to play with my drums. I found a few things out:

14" Snare drums really seemed to work well with Genera snare head over 300 hazy. I used this combo on my Mapex black panther 14x6 with die cast hoops. Honestly for a not so expensive snare it sounds great. Even my old PDP kit snare sounded good with this combo.

I just got my SQ2 snare and soon will switch up heads on it.

On my 13" Benny Greb snare I now feel that it (Genera Snare Head) does not let the drum sing as it should. Its not a bad sound but I am going to a coated G2 I think.

I found that by ear I could tune to very tight tolerances on any size snare. With toms I had a harder time dialing them in. Using the Tunebot I got my toms sounding awesome. I ended up tuning my toms to about a third difference between each size. Also I have the reso head tuned slightly higher than the batter side. Currently I use no moon gels at all. I will likely slip in some cotton balls in my floor toms though. Old trick that really works.

The current combination of G2 clear over G1 I think is great in particular for live. Lately I play a lot of rock and pop and it works. What I would prefer is slightly more warmth to go along with that attack. So I will try a coated G1 on the reso side for a gig or so.

Also on my bass drum I am going to swap out the Emad for an EQ4.

On my birch S Classix kit I really like coated G2's. I am going to use Genera Resonant for the reso all around on this kit. The picture attached is a small theater gig I played. Maybe about 100 or so people.

If I had the time I would take all my setups in the studio or record them so everyone can hear. For those that don't know my two main kits are Sonor Prolite = Vintage maple shell and S Classix = Thin birch shell.

I imagine regardless of drum brands if you had a similar shell construction you could reach similar results with head selection.
Attached Images

Session Work
Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

Live my G2 clear over G1 clear combo sounded great!

Also thanks to Evans for hooking me up with some free skins :-)

Session Work

Last edited by AirborneSFC; 10-31-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 AM
audiotech

Quote:

Are you now an official endorser of their products?

Dennis
Old 10-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Silver Member

Jeebus,

All the money Ive given Evans over the years and not even a thank you....sheesh. That said, With my Sonor Ascents its G2 clears over G1 clear resos...on the maple SQ2 kit, it is the same. Tried G2 coateds over g1 clears and it was too "heavy"...went back to g2 clears on top. Snares - Evans ST or Power Center Reverse dots over 300 Orchestral. On my Greb its PCRD over 300 hazy.

F
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Are you now an official endorser of their products?

Dennis
Dennis,

Good morning sir - currently no but I would gladly endorse them since I use them anyway. I actually perform in a band made up of all Soldiers or folks like me who work for the Army. Since 90% of our performances are for Soldiers, MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) or BOSS (Better Oppurtunity for Single Soldiers) and many unit functions I simply asked Evans if they would do a military donation. The pictures are the answer to that question!

Florian,

In my practice room I was a little nervous because I felt that the G2 over G1 clear did not have the warmth I wanted. However when I played live that was quickly dismissed. What I would honestly like to try is G2 clear over G1 coated. I think that will be the best compromise of attack and warmth.

Right now the only heads I have not tried are the EC2 SST.

The honest truth as to why I plan Evans is consistancy. They are always the same. When I was touring full time I played Remo and Aquarians. Even here recently when I got back into it for me I found an ease of tuning when I switched to Evans. A played a PDP kit for a year with Remo's all around. I then re headed the entire kit with Evans all around and it was a night and day difference. Even my band mates felt they made my drums come a live.
Session Work
Old 10-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Live my G2 clear over G1 clear combo sounded great!

Great shot of the kit!

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Florian,

In my practice room I was a little nervous because I felt that the G2 over G1 clear did not have the warmth I wanted. However when I played live that was quickly dismissed. What I would honestly like to try is G2 clear over G1 coated. I think that will be the best compromise of attack and warmth.

Right now the only heads I have not tried are the EC2 SST.

The honest truth as to why I plan Evans is consistancy. They are always the same. When I was touring full time I played Remo and Aquarians. Even here recently when I got back into it for me I found an ease of tuning when I switched to Evans. A played a PDP kit for a year with Remo's all around. I then re headed the entire kit with Evans all around and it was a night and day difference. Even my band mates felt they made my drums come a live.
I too play Evans exclusively...they are the most consistent heads I can get. As for clear over coated, not sure that is a good idea. maybe G2 clears over G+ or G14s as they are both single ply heads (12mil / 14 mil) I played G2 coated over G+ for awhile, but it was too boomy for me. YMMV.

F
Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 AM

After a bit of a tuning session the other day I've come to the conclusion that my 14" tom is too 'boomy' as you would say.

I currently have a G2 coated over a G1 clear, without changing the heads what would be a good suggestion to get less 'boom' and more of a defined thump?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks I will keep you posted. Also FWIW I am in the market for a new snare. I was going to buy the Benny Grebb Sonor snare but I think you might know of a company that makes some nice snares. Shipping from the UK to Germany shouldn't be bad right!
Sorry man, only just picked this up. Shipping to Germany = easy :)

On topic: Just about to return the new Custom range kit to G2 over G1 clears, as I know that combo so well. Currently tuning up 3 kits & playing with head combo's in preparation for our drums recording session in two weeks time.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
After a bit of a tuning session the other day I've come to the conclusion that my 14" tom is too 'boomy' as you would say.

I currently have a G2 coated over a G1 clear, without changing the heads what would be a good suggestion to get less 'boom' and more of a defined thump?
So a couple things you can do. One is try placing a few cotton balls in your floor tom. The second is using a small piece of moon gel, gaffers tape or similar on the batter head. Let me know how it works out for you.
Session Work

Last edited by AirborneSFC; 11-01-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM

I should add I use e-rings as well, I'm fairly certain it's my tuning that's causing the issue but I'm a novice at this side of the game and I don't get to play my kit outside of gigs.

The tuning I do is in my room one drum at a time due to space issues.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Well I don't like to use rings. I think they kill too much of the sound. The cotton balls in the floor tom will remain on the reso head. Naturally this will kill some of the resonance but I think not too much. You might also try tuning your reso head at a slightly higher or lower tension.

A few things to consider:

1. Playing live that resonance might not be a bad thing. It will keep your drum from sounding dead. When I play live I noticed when I tuned low and where I like it to my ear that in the audience it sounded dead.

2. If you are just fine tuning your drum try just lowering or raising the tension on a couple lugs. Give it a try - you will be surprised how well this works.

3. When using some moon gels or gaffers tape you can move them around the drum to get the desire sound you want. Checkout this video for the application:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WLTWvc6AhM

Benny there uses some gaffers tape on both his snare and floor tom! I don't know why but slightly pinching the tape up in the center seems to do the trick! I have even used this method on my bass drum batter head for recording.

You can use this on both your batter and reso side.

4. The room you are playing in has a HUGE impact on how your drums will sound. For example on a wooden stage vs a carpeted drum riser and so forth.

Judging by what you have told me I would think two pieces of moon gel would get your sound closer.

Do you have a 16" floor tom? I have a 14" and 16" and the 14" is always the easiest to tune!
Session Work
Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Cheers for the advice there!

The room I currently tune it in is a wooden floored area, the drum stands on a carpet however, and the room hasn't got good acoustics generally speaking.

The floor tom size is 14". I read somewhere (may be on here) that for a 2ply coated head you need to tune it a little tighter than a single ply, to get a good sound?

I'm ordering some Moongel tonight so hopefully a slab of that will help me out here, it's quite frustrating having an instrument you can't get to sound right, even though you know it's possible!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

No problem! I think we all could use advice sometimes and certainly we all learn from each other.

I think the moon gel and playing with tuning will get you where you want. I found once I played with my band that even my most resonant drums get muted. I tend to have everything miced up at my gigs and usually only my snare needs some dampening. I cut a moon gel in half also last gig and put it on my 16" floor tom.

To be honest on my jazz kit I have a coated G2 on my 14" floor tom and it also is a little boomy. Our band practice room also has wooden floors. I just throw one moon gel on it and its right as rain.
Session Work