DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-14-2012, 06:52 PM

Default Batter Head Suggestions??

Just picked up my new kit (birch Silverstar 10,12,14,16) and Im needing all new heads in a bad way, but I'm not so experienced that I know which brand & product lines I should use to get a target sound out of each individual drum. To contextualize:

I want a good ring and medium sustain whilst emphasizing and projecting warm lows without sounding like a full maple shell - NOT simply a toned "thud." I'm fairly content in throwing Evans hydraulic glass batters at the 10" & 12" mounts, but am concerned that on the 14" &16" floors they'll kinda squelch the higher tonality, ring-out and resilience; sorta reduce the sound to a wet thump.

** What Would You Use?

For anyone who's actually compelled to give an informed and enthusiastic suggestion my "average" style is sorta metal-fusion, and the sound and character I'm going for would be best described as fusion X hip hop. A lil Moon Gel will allow the metal to rear its ugly head

Thanks!!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Batter Head Suggestions??

Aquarian studio x over classic clear should give you what you looking for, may still need a moon jell on the big one. Might I also suggest a super kick 1 and a ported regulator front for a big fat kick sound, no extra muffeling will be required and can be tuned lower for a deader sound or touch higher to get some resonance if wanted or needed.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:09 PM

You may suggest that - bigboy's the next move. I'm stoked to hear this as I've always rocked Aquarian, but every time I speak with someone at a shop they'll go on about how much they love Evans so I've been second-guessing my preference as bias the last few years. And, I've found it's been becoming more and more difficult to source Aquarian at retail . . . what's up with that??

That's the informed help I was looking for, Tard. Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

I've taken to buying all of my heads online. Even when I played Evans (which all of the local stores carry) I still couldn't find the models or sizes I needed.

Now that I've switched to Aquarian I really can't find anything I want in my local stores. Interstatemusic.com always has what I want in stock, at a great price, and they ship super quick.

I'll second Tard's Studio-X suggestion, but you may want to check out Aquarian's website and listen to some of their videos to really try to find the sound you like.

In general though I can't recommend Aquarian highly enough. I've played Evans for years and years but there's something about the tone and ease of tuning that Aquarian has.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green 'n Gold Baby!! View Post
You may suggest that - bigboy's the next move. I'm stoked to hear this as I've always rocked Aquarian, but every time I speak with someone at a shop they'll go on about how much they love Evans so I've been second-guessing my preference as bias the last few years. And, I've found it's been becoming more and more difficult to source Aquarian at retail . . . what's up with that??

That's the informed help I was looking for, Tard. Thanks
No problem, always glad to save someone the time and money I spent finding the rights heads. Just as W Wolf said I also buy most of my heads on line but have noticed alot more stores are stocking them especially the music store with drummers on staff. Lately tho I have bought mine from music123 and they have a store on amazon and one on ebay and they are also known to sell multi packs as well which can save you you extra $$ there also. BTW I noticed the other day they are selling a super kick 1, a ported regulator front and a double beater patch as a package for $61.79 with free shipping inside the USA.