DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 PM

Default Tama Speed Cobra x Iron Cobra Jr.

Hi folks!

I´m in need of advice one again, because I need to decide between two bass pedals:

. Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal)

. Tama Iron Cobra Jr

I would like to know which one is the best for someone who always plays heel-down technique. I play mostly jazz and fusion stuff, so speed is not exactly an issue to me.

What I like about the Speed Cobra is the huge board it has.

The Iron Cobra Jr. came with my kit, but I have the option to bring it back unused to the music store and pay only for the difference.

I currently play on a few different Mapex pedals, and what I really dont like about them is the size of the board. Im very tall, and my feet are very big, so my heel is on the base while my feet to is almost at the top of the pedal, which is not very confortable.

I know the Speed Cobra is a far superior pedal, but Im concerned it might be a pedal built specifically for speed with heel up technique, hence the spring below the pedal.

I have the impression its more suited for speed metal/fast bass drum playing, which is definitely not my style.

Do you folks think this pedal would be a good option?

I already own a Mapex pedal, very similar to Iron Cobra Jr, and I wanted something different.

There are other pedals on the store, like DW5000 or Pearl ones. Even the Twin Pedal on a single board from Sonor.

So, what are your suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

Peace and music in your hearts!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tama Speed Cobra x Iron Cobra Jr.

I'm assuming you're dealing with a store that has the Speed Cobra? Could you put it on a bass drum there in the shop and try it out? I try not to listening to the marketing out there, pedals are personal, and if it works for you, then it works for you regardless what type of music you think it should be used for, right?

I play both the IC Jr, and just recently went to the IC Flexi Glide myself. The Speed Cobra didn't feel like a good fit for me when I tried it. But that's just me.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

my suggestion is to go on 'feel'. which one feels better for your foot and what you do with it. Try them on. Like somebody here said, pedals are like shoes, you can't recommend one for all feet. I might like Blunstones, you like Converse, etc. I know I dont like a huge footboard, so would go with Junior .....
Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 AM

Well, I have the same problem with pedals as i had with the drum kit...

It should be like heaven living in a country/city where you can actually test stuff before you purchase, but here its not an option.

I cant play each of them before buying. The Iron Cobra Jr, because its on a sealed box, and if I open it, the store wont accept it for the same price.

The Speed Cobra is a brand new one, and they wont allow anyone to step a foot on it, or be used.

Im really curious about the "usability" of the Speed Cobra in a heel down only technique. Will it "loose" all its special design and funcionality in that condition? Isnt it designed for heel up only??
Old 05-14-2012, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhz View Post
Well, I have the same problem with pedals as i had with the drum kit...

It should be like heaven living in a country/city where you can actually test stuff before you purchase, but here its not an option.

I cant play each of them before buying. The Iron Cobra Jr, because its on a sealed box, and if I open it, the store wont accept it for the same price.

The Speed Cobra is a brand new one, and they wont allow anyone to step a foot on it, or be used.

Im really curious about the "usability" of the Speed Cobra in a heel down only technique. Will it "loose" all its special design and funcionality in that condition? Isnt it designed for heel up only??
Well, that situation sucks. You could consider your foot size then if you're concerned about the heel-down aspects on a larger pedal. If your foot is too small for it, then stick with the Jr. If it's large, then you're a Speed Cobra. When I try to play heel-down, it helps if my heel is actually on the heel portion of the pedal, and I have small size 5 feet, so the Jr. works good for me in this case. What size shoe are you?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:58 AM

Well, my foot size is 42/43, but I dont know how that "translates" on a USA shoe size.

I googled and it came as a 8,5 or 9. Im 1,86 cm tall.

Im worried that the whole point of the pedal structure and funcionality might be "ruined" because of my "non speed oriented" technique.

Im just looking for a confortable pedal! I play on two different "regular board" mapex pedals and I really dont like them. Thats why my guess was trying a long board pedal this time....
Old 05-14-2012, 02:22 AM

Man i really wish you could try them. Pedals are really like shoes. People use to swear by Doc Martin shoes but i am flat footed and can't wear them for 10 minutes. Same with pedals. I have found the speed cobras too smooth. I can't feel them so they affect my playing. But you may like the lack of feeling. To me it was more like tapping your foot than playing the pedal.But for some reason i need to feel the pedal. However, just because they are called speed cobras doesn't mean you can't use them for slow work.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe you should pay the extra shipping and buy the Speed Cobra from an online store in the states so you can return it if you don't like it.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:00 AM

After my DW 5000 pedal broke in the middle of a gig, I promptly went out and bought the Speed Cobra. I love this pedal! I notice that I play a little more heel down with this pedal than before. I wear a size 13 shoe and the long board feels really good. This pedal responds really well. Much better than my old DW.
I play mostly rock/pop and after adjusting the pedal a bit and finding that "sweet spot", I couldn't be happier. If you don't have an opportunity to try before you buy, than I highly recommend this pedal. Hope this helps
Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Well, my foot size is 42/43, but I dont know how that "translates" on a USA shoe size.

I googled and it came as a 8,5 or 9. Im 1,86 cm tall.

Im worried that the whole point of the pedal structure and funcionality might be "ruined" because of my "non speed oriented" technique.

Im just looking for a confortable pedal! I play on two different "regular board" mapex pedals and I really dont like them. Thats why my guess was trying a long board pedal this time....
8 1/2 to 9 isn't a very large foot size. my foot size is a 10 1/2, 9 in a converse.

I play an earlier generation iron cobra jr, the one that just says tama with the black crinkle finish, but with the actual iron cobra felt beater rather than the big goofy can shaped beater on the newer models. for me, the pedal feels real good to me playing heel down or up, whether in socks or in shoes. but as others have mentioned, it's a very personal thing. for me, high tension with a light beater is what feels good, and i definitely get it out of this pedal.

if i were you, i'd just go with the jr. and call it a day. the footboard is much wider than that of the mapex's if i'm not mistaken, and feels more solid. the speed cobra costs more than twice as much, which isn't to say you shouldn't spend the money. if you feel that you need the features that the speed cobra offers, then go for it.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I know the Speed Cobra is a far superior pedal, but Im concerned it might be a pedal built specifically for speed with heel up technique, hence the spring below the pedal.
wrong. you can play any technique on any pedal. the spring below comes standard on any tama iron cobra or speed cobra pedal. it is adjustable and also removable.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:23 PM

As for your concerns on the heel-down issue, I play both heel up and heel down on mine with no issues. The spring underneath can be removed if you want (a bunch of people do) and the speed cobra is much higher grade and is more adjustable. The longboard really is nice, even if you don't have monster feet (I have about the same size you do, a little bigger) simply to have the option of using "longboard techniques". You can get these things to feel feather light too, which is good for jazz stuff (at least in my opinion).