DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Andre Boyd

I took my family to see Cirque du Soleil this weekend. The show was "Quidam". I've seen a couple of these in Vegas, but this is the first "road show" I ever went to. Of course I was humbled and quite frankly felt like a fat American watching these sinewy gods and goddesses contort and fly across the stage, but also this was one of the best live bands I've heard at the shows. Why do you think that is? The drummer of course. Andre Boyd.

As soon as I got back to the house I emailed him to tell him how much I appreciated his playing. He wrote me back and among other things (like inviting me backstage next time they're in town) he gave me a link to his site (Andre Boyd) www.dreboyd.com. Checkout the Vic Firth clip about how he got the gig and just a couple things about the show in general. Very cool, unique story and such a great guy. Classic example of an unsung hero. These guys play in the shadows but command the show with the same level of professionalism as any of the stage acts. My guess is that most folks don't even realize it's a live band until the end. Great musicians. Checkout the "Q-jam" as well...
Old 06-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Cirque du Soleil drummer Andre Boyd

I've seen the "La Nouba" show in Orlando twice. The second time I sat in the 5th row or so over to the side and the band was right in front of me. Unfortunately the drums were in the column (if you've seen the show you know what I'm referring to) on the the other side, but the cat was really good as well! No idea what is name is. They played some really varied jazz fusion/heavy fusion stuff to accompany the show. I really really dug it.