DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Default I have been here before.....

Hey all,

My dad joked with me years ago that eventually I'd end up with what I started out with when it comes to drums, and I swear he's more right than I care to admit. As far as drums go, I think over the years the engineering just gets better, but sizes and configuration have always stayed about the same. But what really made me think that I've walked this path before is when I found the Tama Flexi Glide pedal at the local Guitar Center a few days ago. I played it and I just couldn't believe how good it felt. It was like my foot was saying, "Ah, this feels really familiar", and I was playing things on it without really thinking about how to execute them, they just happened.

Of course, like alot of people, I played the venerable Speed King, but as a child with my first Slingerland kit, I played this pedal for a long time, the Tempo King. Something about that leather strap drive that you just get used to. And of course, when I finally upgraded pedals, sprockets and chains were becoming the rage and like everyone else, I jumped to the 'new technology' like a moth to the flame. (Yes, I admit to dabbling in other pedals; Tricks, Tama's King Beat, and all those pedals resembling the old Gretsch Floating Action....even the strange double pedals.....)

So again, my dad was right. I went back to what I started with, but with better engineering and less mechanical headache. Here's pictures of both. Not too different from one another, are they? One is from the late 60s/early 70s, and one is from 2012. There's at least a 42 year time span between the two. What was your first pedal that has made that indelible mark on you? Do you still play it? Or are you like me; circling around and eventually coming back to it?
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Default Re: I have been here before.....

I didn't play that many pedals to be honest, I started with a Tama flexi-flyer, then a Ludwig Seed King, later on a Tama King Beat briefly before using a Tama Camco for over 25 years, I still own the Camco, but last year a treated myself to a new pedal to have a taste of the "new" technology available and I choosed a Mapex Falcon which offers a really wide array of options, which include differnts cams and drive modes, and I settled with a round cam and a strap drive, so I guess I have done the full circle too.

Mo's very nice Bo ;)
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Unfortunately, I'm still on the search for a pedal I like. My birthdays in a couple of weeks and that's actually on the top of my list.

And don't you just hate it when you have to admit the parents are right? :)
Old 05-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Gold Member

Personlly, I think the flexi-glide IC is the best pedal Tama makes..I've thought long & hard several times about getting one…but been here before pedal right now is Axis..:)
Old 05-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

IC's are great but have they fixed the joints on the connecting rods yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
look at me, look at me...look what I do
Old 05-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Gold Member

i really liked the strap iron cobra... something about it felt amazing. however i play on a speed cobra. i havn't played as long as you, i started on my teachers camco. always adored the feel of them. after that i had some rubbish gibraltar one, then a friends DW9000 for a few months, and now what i have. i think i may stick with the speed cobra for a while.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

I tried that Speed Cobra, but it didn't feel as good as the Flexi did, and being the size that I am ('fun size'), I don't need a huge foot pedal.

Yeah, I tried the Axis A years ago (before I tried the Trick), and that's a great pedal too.

Dre25 - What joints at the connecting rods are you talking about? What was the issue?

And yeah Mary, I think that's why we all move away from our parents. If you stay, all your conversations become "I told you so" conversations!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Never played a pedal I didn't like. They all work the same AFAIC.
Don't even remember my first pedal, whatever came with a set of Stewarts in 1968. From there I went to Speed King in 1976, then Pearl Eliminator in 2003, then DW 5000 in 2004, then DW9000 in 2005, and I got 2 DW3000's as spares last year because they were so inexpensive. If you can't get a 5000 to do what you want, it's not the pedal. I use a 5000 for gigs, although any pedal will do for me.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Never played a pedal I didn't like. They all work the same AFAIC.
Don't even remember my first pedal, whatever came with a set of Stewarts in 1968. From there I went to Speed King in 1976, then Pearl Eliminator in 2003, then DW 5000 in 2004, then DW9000 in 2005, and I got 2 DW3000's as spares last year because they were so inexpensive. If you can't get a 5000 to do what you want, it's not the pedal. I use a 5000 for gigs, although any pedal will do for me.
Spoken like a true tool guy, Larry. Well, truth be told, I can make a 5000 fly, lets keep that straight. But the difference between the ol' chain and the strap, I thought I'd mention it. It does feel noticeably different to me since I haven't played one in eons. And this seems to keep with what I've been doing, getting well engineered new drums, that just happen to look vintage. And now I've done the same with my foot - a well-engineered pedal with that vintage feel. Too bad I don't fit into my old clothes ;)
Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Dre25 - What joints at the connecting rods are you talking about? What was the issue?
My iron cobra, purchased in 2000 is still pretty good despite the squeaks but I had to replace the connecting rod between the pedals (it's a double) because the joints wore out and there was a severe lag/delay in the left pedal. I'm finding that the replacement connecting rod (purchased in about '06) is starting to do the same thing despite having it setup perfectly straight. I don't really care because I have demon drives now but I hope they've addressed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
look at me, look at me...look what I do
Old 05-14-2012, 04:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
My iron cobra, purchased in 2000 is still pretty good despite the squeaks but I had to replace the connecting rod between the pedals (it's a double) because the joints wore out and there was a severe lag/delay in the left pedal. I'm finding that the replacement connecting rod (purchased in about '06) is starting to do the same thing despite having it setup perfectly straight. I don't really care because I have demon drives now but I hope they've addressed that.
Ah. I don't play a double, so this issue doesn't apply to me. Whew!

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to two bass drums. I'd rather have two bass drums - it just looks way cooler ;)
Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I tried that Speed Cobra, but it didn't feel as good as the Flexi did, and being the size that I am ('fun size'), I don't need a huge foot pedal.
totally agree... im only a size 10 shoe (44 in europe) and i didnt think i'd need the extra length, but it's really grown on me.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM

When I first upgraded from the stock Yamaha pedal that came with my electric kit, the DW 5000 felt best, but I couldn't rationalize paying that much for a pedal setup. I ended up going with the Pearl P...whatever, the model below the eliminators. About a year and a half later, I sold the Pearls for the 5000s, and the picked up the Yamaha direct drive flying dragons. I now bounce between the two, not being able to make up my mind as to which I prefer.

So I guess the answer to your question is yes, I still play the pedal that first felt right to me, but there are a lot of pedals out there, and I will probably never play them all...

Allegra Drum Crafters
Revival Drum Shop
Yamaha Recording Custom
Allegra Master Craft
Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

I wish the first and only pedal I found that I really liked was still made - Gretsch Floating Action Pedal.

After about 25 years of exclusive use, the one I had was broke beyond repair and since that happened I've been trying various ones.

They pop up on ebay from time to time and one day I'm going to get one.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I wish the first and only pedal I found that I really liked was still made - Gretsch Floating Action Pedal.

After about 25 years of exclusive use, the one I had was broke beyond repair and since that happened I've been trying various ones.

They pop up on ebay from time to time and one day I'm going to get one.
I would bet if you got a new Tama Camco pedal and replaced the chain and sprocket with the cam and strap from their new Flexi Glide, you'd be really close.....