DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Doumbek Books/DVDs

I just discovered the Doumbek and love the sound. I would like to learn the correct rhythms as applied to the instrument. Could any Doumbek players out there steer me towards any books or DVD's.

Mucho Danke.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Doumbek Books/DVDs

When I first discovered the doumbek I had little regard for its history, tradition or "correct" way to play it. I thought wow it's like a little djembe but lightweight and portable and loud for being so small yet incredibly sensitive and expressive when you want to play quietly. I used a necktie for a strap and could walk around with it like a djembe but much easier. As I learned more, there's all kinds of correct ways to play it whether you're from Morocco, Egypt, Turkey or the many countries where they play it and have different names for it. With all the countries and regions and dialects and styles, take your pick. The more widely known rhythms; Malfoof, Maksoum, Baledi and Shiftitelli are probably from Egypt or Turkey. Maksoum is that doom tek tek doom tek common sound, baledi is similar but doom doom tek doom tek, but there's endless variations and a huge deep vocabulary. Some of the strokes correspond with different moves the dancers make. Like some Afro-Cuban players, there are people who will get defensive about the "right" way to play it. I like that you can put any hand and finger technique on it, make it your own and it sounds great. All the pandeiro, frame drum and even tabla stuff adapts easily. I suggest going down the youtube rabbit holes. Raquy Danziger plays a lot of Turkish stuff. Hossam Ramzy, Reza Mortezavi on tombak, links lead to links and belly dancers are fun to watch, from traditional and folky to commercial, every skill level for what to do and not to do.It's great for learning how to groove in other time signatures. Check out the Italian frame drummers, some have slow motion so you can dissect what looks and sounds like magic. David Kuckermann, ritmoypercusion, amazing street musicians, Zoe Jakes and Beats Antique, Twisted Gypsy. This is just the tip of a massive iceberg. If you want to check out what I do go to the youtube channel "mediumsizedog". I build fine woodworking cajons I use all this technique on and they make way more noises than the cajons you know. Use headphones or good speakers and let me know what you think. There's a couple of doumbek videos there. One of my main concepts is that you touch a drum, you don't hit it. If you have anything posted let me know. Medium Size Dog
Old 02-14-2015, 04:25 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Doumbek Books/DVDs

Gil Sharones wicked beats DVD has some.