DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 AM

Default Axis Longboard Pedals

Been playing on my Dw 7000 double kick for about 5 years and I'm looking to upgrade my pedals. I've really been interested in the Axis Longboards, but I don't know if they're everything people say they are. I've played the Demon Drive and didn't care that at all, but next choice is the DW 9000. I talked to one guy who told me I would have a hard time transitioning from DW to Axis, is that true? I would love to hear from people with some experience with Axis.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Axis Longboard Pedals

I don't have experience with the Axis boards, but have heard you can get good speed with them. I used a DW9000 single pedal for 2 years, then switched over to the Trick Dominator double pedals.

Like the Axis, the Dominator is a Direct Drive and also a long board. It took me a few months to get used to them. The long board forces you to change the angle of your pedal from what you're used to on a short board. Personally, I had to lower my board. You will also notice a difference with the "feel" of the pedal - being direct drive. The DD's are less forgiving and very responsive.

Most drum shops have the Axis pedals that you should try first.

Yeah, you may have a hard time at first, but when you're dropping $500+ on new pedals, you'll find a way to make them work.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I talked to one guy who told me I would have a hard time transitioning from DW to Axis, is that true?
A pedal is a pedal. If you switch to any pedal with a very different feel you'll have to adapt to the change. It's not a function of brand.

The biggest complaint I've heard about Axis pedals is that some people don't like the light feel they've encountered. But if you get the A model pedals with the variable drive lever, you can adjust it between crazy light and fast versus heavier and more solid. The X models have the drive lever fixed, and they are definitely on the light and quick side.

Personally, I think I've found that I prefer the shortboards over the longboards, but that's really a matter of personal preference.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 PM

The Demon drives are nothing like the axis longboards in my opinion. They are really light though, and as far as I can tell (at least to me) dw pedals are on the heavier side. So that might be why you would have a hard time to get used to it. Also, its a longboard, so you should expect an adjustment period for that too. Took me 6 or so months to get used to my longboards, let alone tacking on a direct drive. I'm really glad I stuck with my longboards though. Try before you buy, but there is no reason the axis shouldn't work for you :-)
Old 04-27-2012, 08:46 PM

I'm using the Axis Longboards and they really make me happy.
During long time I used Janus pedals, but after some years I wanted to play the heel toe technique. That was mainly why I bought the longboards.

It took me like two weeks to get used to them. I have to mention that these pedals aren't very loud. Of course you have a great dynamic range but they can not be as loud other pedals. Imtortant to say: you can adjust everything and they react very easyli.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:29 AM

I have the Axis A longboards, Mapex Falcons w/ driect drive kits, DW 7000 and just sold my DW 9000's. The Axis feel worlds apart from the rest. It's taken me about 2 months to dial in a setting that feels comfortable, with both speed and power being the goal. I agree with what others have stated in regards to the power issue. The pedal is so light that, for me, it took a while to find the right combination of spring tension, footboard angle, drive lever setting and beater distance. Now that I have found it I can confirm the hype on them. They are blazing fast at the settings I have, but they definetely exposed any flaws I had in my technique. Other settings will not have the the same affect. I just found that I needed the drive lever at its most sensitve with medium/loose spring tension to achieve the power and speed I was looking for. This also required me to dial in my ankle motion a little better rather than using mostly my leg. They really do require some finesse, imo. You may want to give the Falcons a look. I find mine to be right in between the Axis and the 9000's, but way easier to adjust than both. They are really my favorite of the bunch. From what I understand the Axis A21 pedals have supposedly solved the power issue. Check those out as well. Hope this helped. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachocho93 View Post
Been playing on my Dw 7000 double kick for about 5 years and I'm looking to upgrade my pedals. I've really been interested in the Axis Longboards, but I don't know if they're everything people say they are. I've played the Demon Drive and didn't care that at all, but next choice is the DW 9000. I talked to one guy who told me I would have a hard time transitioning from DW to Axis, is that true? I would love to hear from people with some experience with Axis.

I went from a DW5000 to the axis longboard with the variable lever and It hasn't been hard transitioning as long as the settings are set up similiar to what your comfortable with. I still use the 5000 beaters on the axis pedal and it makes it feel somewhat heavier
Old 04-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Coming from the iron cobra, I found the axis WAY too light, I think you'll be in the same boat. I ended up with the demon drives, glad I did because it took me a while to realize that longboards aren't as suited to broken patterns, switching the leading foot (as I do) as they are to constant straight playing. Think George Kollias - long boards, Virgil Donati - short boards. I've switched over to short boards now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
look at me, look at me...look what I do
Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

I recently switched from dw9002 to the axis longboards…there is an adjustment period (it may take a month or so to get used to the different feel), but for me at least, I prefer them to the DW's…if you do get them, I would recommend the A series longboards…they are more adjustable than the X series…and if you live in the states, interstate music, I believe have the best prices (and if you catch them right, alot of times they have extra % off sales)…I purchased my classic black longboards for under $500 on a special sale...