DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM

Default My Ludwig Minikit

Here is my new Minikit.

The bass drum is actually a 1970's 16" Ludwig Floor Tom which I've had rewrapped to match my main kit, and converted into a bass drum.

The snare is a (I believe) 1926 Premier Popular Model.

The cymbals are14" Paiste Alpha's which cost me 45 and I think an 18" Super Zyn ride cymbal which I picked up for 20 (although there is no logo or numbering on this cymbal).

I've also just added a vintage woodblock for 10.

As you can see it's a bit of a tight squeeze fitting it into my small bedroom but I think I've managed quite well-the blue and white thing in the corner of the pictures is my bed!

It's also very handy as I can fit the drums and cymbals into one specially made case, and the stands fit into one of those small suitcases with wheels.

And just in case your wondering...that's Gene Krupa/and his autograph on the wall which I still need to get framed. Inspiration whenever I need it!

The bass drum was converted by Care For Drums, who has done a brilliant job. He has also restored the snare and my main Slingerland kit. I recommend him to anyone who needs a bit of working doing on their drum kit.
Attached Images

Last edited by PW Carbert; 04-18-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My Ludwig Minikit

Awesome!! Lovin' that snare.....one of the oldest I've seen on the forum. Tell us more about it.

The 18" Super Zyn brings back some memories. I learnt to play on a kit with that cymbal flying off it.

And yeah......get Gene behind some glass man. :-)
Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 PM

Thanks!

I bought the snare about 3 years ago on ebay for approximately 70 I think (my memory isn't great). It was advertised simply as a vintage drum and was in bits but I put it together, then I didn't think much of it for a few years until last year a drummer came up to me after a gig and asked what kind it is, how old it is how much I'd be willing to sell it for.

So that prompted me to have it properly restored and cleaned up. It's got a nice very open tone. It's quite hard to date, I found the exact same snare in a 1926 catalogue online but can't find it anymore, but it's definitely pre 1930's according to the logos on this site

As for the super zyn cymbal. I sold it to a music shop a couple of years ago as it didn't quite cut through the rock band I was in at the time, but I missed it and I found it in the same music shop, it's fine for blues, jazz, swing etc.

I notice your in Melbourne-lovely place!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

Nice vintage set up. You can do a lot with just a few pieces.

GJS
Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 PM

That is drool-worthy. I love small kits!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

Great looking kit. It looks like it'd be fun to play too. How does that old snare sound? Is it aluminum? I wonder if you have too much trouble reaching that woodbock on that small bass drum...

Also, please do get Krupa's signature framed and out of that sheet protector so that it may bring you inspiration for many years to come.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:50 PM

I'm not too sure what the snare is made out of, it doesn't have the cleanest sound but I like the way it sounds, quite deep, like the way the drums sound on old New Orleans records.

Yes, the woodblock is a little difficult to reach, plus I haven't looked into ideas for what to play on the woodblock and how to incorporate it.

Here are updated pics - Gene is now framed!
Attached Images