DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-12-2012, 04:44 AM

Default $4000 for a Tama bell brass snare?

Did you guys see this eBay auction:

http://r.ebay.com/sEtcrk

I know these snares are supossed to sound great, but $4000? Really? Seems a little high to me.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 AM

Default Re: $4000 for a Tama bell brass snare?

Wow, I guess keep your eyes open if your even come across one cheap. I'm not sure how one considers which old drums are worth more than others. Even to me it's just a brass snare. I want a Tama Rosewood snare but the most I'd pay would be $1000 and it would have to be in excellent shape.

Last edited by Kg_lee; 04-12-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

That does seem little high.. however , I will say that to Tama's credit.. I think they were the originators of that cast type of shell. Sonor came AFTER them. Not sure of anybody else..
Old 04-12-2012, 06:10 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Dam ,I had that exact same model too. TTTT, IMO, it wasn't all that. Very heavy and such sharp bearing edges, I feared it would split the snare side reso head. It never did, but I thought it was too sharp. I think that person is nuts paying that price.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

Me and a couple guys at work watched that one end! It was intense. I'd been watching it for a few days. Of all the Tama Bell Brass snares, that one is far and away my favorite. Very pretty drum. I couldn't believe it jumped up in price so dramatically in the closing seconds. I thought the 2,300 it sat at for an hour seemed high. Shows what I know.

I suspect that it was either a studio or a rock star who picked that one up. I don't know too many drummers rich enough to throw down for a snare drum for what they could run out and by a new Sonor SQ2 for!

Funny you started a thread after that. I'd been thinking the same thing!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 AM

I just don't believe any one drum is worth that much. I understand that some people collect drums but......New.... Old.....Rare.....Sound....just not worth it to me.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Silver Member

Geez! You know what I could do with $4000 right now? I could pay off ALL my bills and buy back that Black Beauty that I sold to MikeM. Not that he'd sell it. LOL!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
I could pay off ALL my bills and buy back that Black Beauty that I sold to MikeM. Not that he'd sell it. LOL!
What's this? Seller's remorse? Ah, I know it well. Indeed. Yes, indeed....

Bitchen snare btw! :-)
Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM

Yeah, I think that price is a little silly. Especially for something from that era. But I guess if you can afford it and you want it, why not.

These kind of prices are unfortunate in that they make some cool gear unaffordable for regular drummers trying to create their own sound. On the other hand, I've always felt that drum gear got no respect compared to the insane prices that vintage guitars can go for. Maybe some of this stuff is just starting to get more cred.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Wow!

I was going to say just because someone asks for $4K doesn't mean they'll get it, but after clocking the link, to see it sold for four thousand is just ridiculous.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

The link dosen't exist anymore,but that same model of a Tama bell brass snare sold on Ebay for 7500 US about two years ago.The drum was in almost NOS condition,with just a few stick marks on the original head.

They do sound amazing,but that's just way too much for one drum.

Steve B
Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 PM

4K for a snare dum... well, if you got it flaunt it I guess!!!...

Most people can do serious damage getting gear with that amount of money... specially in this economy... but line a guy I know told me once 8 corollas don't make a Ferrari!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

I thought I had seen them go for 2000.00 plus. As I remember the bell brass snares bring very good money no matter who the Maker.

The Tama artwood snares bring good money,along with a few other high end models.

As I remember the Tama snares were the first MiJ snares to start holding and increasing in value.

I wonder if that snare will actually be paid for,or if a couple of bidders went nuts and will renege on the deal.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Not worth 4K IMO $1000 max and I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it... if I even wanted it.

The lugs on that drum are crap, and by todays standards so is the strainer. Those TAMA DC hoops are really flexible and there's lots of wear on the chrome too. Someone paid way too much.

Attached Images

Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
to see it sold for four thousand is just ridiculous.
On face value I couldn't agree more.

However..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
but that same model of a Tama bell brass snare sold on Ebay for 7500 US about two years ago.
If he's lucky enough to flip it for $7500 in a year or so, then it's a shrewd investment. Three and a half grand on the turn would be a nice little earner.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
The lugs on that drum are crap
I've heard this line before... I had a Superstar kit from the same era, played a Mastercraft Steel for 12 years, and have a 6.5x14 Superstar Snare in my garage (both of which have identical hardware to the brass one pictured) and never once have I had any issues with lugs or strainers. I don't know where this comes from. Enlighten me.

But I'm biased, I admit. That era of Tama is far and away my favorite. I think my next kit will be one of those Superstars. I see them on eBay all the time. It wouldn't take long to put together a kit.

Anyway, I think that's a beautiful drum. If I was loaded and just had to have a bell brass Tama, I'd throw down for it. They still make them but they're $2500 and ugly as hell. Might as well throw another $1500 at a 28 year old beauty.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 AM
mrmike
This message has been deleted by mrmike.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Silver Member

Looks like there will be an alternative to the Warlord.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...79334000001000

I want one of these snares so bad. I am sure I could sound just like Elvin if I had one.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvzDXhhrpgI
Old 04-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Silver Member

I had one and I still think it's the best snare I've ever heard.
That being said- 4k for that one, I dunno... However 4k to 7k for this drum is not unheard of.
Maybe 2k-3k for a good one sounds reasonable...if you're reasonable
Old 04-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

Okay, the top one isn't quite as ugly. Still $2500.

But not as ugly as the second one if you want to save 300 bucks. Shells are probably identical, so that's $300 spend not to have all the medieval looking hardware... I think it'd be worth it. Of course, as I said, I'd rather pay $4k and get the '84 Superstar.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

Any cast drum is going to fetch $$. Is not an easy process. There is a reason Ocheltree was charging $2500+ for a cast shell. There was a Sonor HLD 590 that sold for $5k in the last couple of weeks. The second one in a year.

I've got a friend who owns a high end company and he always tells me, "Drummers are the cheapest bastards out there." For the most part, he's right.....
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
Any cast drum is going to fetch $$. Is not an easy process. There is a reason Ocheltree was charging $2500+ for a cast shell. There was a Sonor HLD 590 that sold for $5k in the last couple of weeks. The second one in a year.

I've got a friend who owns a high end company and he always tells me, "Drummers are the cheapest bastards out there." For the most part, he's right.....
Hahaha, fair quote IMO :) I have a contact who owns a very well known high end acoustic guitar company. They craft beautiful instruments that start at $3,000 & go way up from there. Production time & materials are about the same as one of our snare drums with segmented hoops, yet they retail for nearly 3 times the price. He can't believe what we charge, because at his prices, he has guitarists falling over themselves to buy his instruments. TBH, after hearing them, I can see why :)

As for the cast shell debate, sonically, machined from solid yields better & more consistent results. Castings, even high quality methods such as lost wax, incur inclusions and other inconsistencies. I fail to see the kudos value in a cast shell above other methods, given correct post production treatment. Both are certainly better results than spinning in yellow metals.

As for the price of this particular drum, well, supply & demand. Does it offer value for money if you strip away the apparent desirability? Of course not, but that's not the point. If someone's got the disposable coin, & it's something they desire so much it hurts, then they're going to pay whatever it takes. Same with any other item that's scarce, no matter how benign it may be to others.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe the guy who bought it had a matching Superstar SET and had to have a matching snare drum.....that'd be something to see.....
Old 04-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Maybe I'm just broke and naive and young but I couldn't justify putting that much money into one drum... I put about $250 into restoring an old Legend snare (now truly one of a kind) and I thought that was a lot to invest!! Well worth it though. Some people have the cash I guess. I try to be a gear head within reason (and budget). Ebay has been my best friend..

With drummers it's either we're the cheapest bastards or those throwing cash away. At least many of us know how to bargain buy and search for great deals.. While guitarists are busy haggling :p
Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
As for the cast shell debate, sonically, machined from solid yields better & more consistent results. Castings, even high quality methods such as lost wax, incur inclusions and other inconsistencies. I fail to see the kudos value in a cast shell above other methods, given correct post production treatment. Both are certainly better results than spinning in yellow metals.
I'm not sure what you're using to qualify your "better" assertion, but it seems to me that even with inclusions and inconsistencies, a cast shell will have no tension in the structure that a rolled sheet will have, and isn't that basically the same advantage that non-ply wood shells have over ply? Another point of consideration is that a cast shell will not have been rolled, hammered, or otherwise compressed.

I gotta think there's something to all of that. No other Tama snare from that era commands that kind of a price and from what I've understand, many high end studios have Tama cast brass snares in their libraries. There are other 3 mm brass shells on the market that are rolled, from DW and Pearl (and probably others), but they're in the $800 range and don't generate nearly as much buzz.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I'm not sure what you're using to qualify your "better" assertion, but it seems to me that even with inclusions and inconsistencies, a cast shell will have no tension in the structure that a rolled sheet will have, and isn't that basically the same advantage that non-ply wood shells have over ply? Another point of consideration is that a cast shell will not have been rolled, hammered, or otherwise compressed.

I gotta think there's something to all of that. No other Tama snare from that era commands that kind of a price and from what I've understand, many high end studios have Tama cast brass snares in their libraries. There are other 3 mm brass shells on the market that are rolled, from DW and Pearl (and probably others), but they're in the $800 range and don't generate nearly as much buzz.
I'm with you Mike, in principal rather than detail. In my post. I was agreeing that cast delivers a better result than spinning in yellow metals. I was comparing casting to machining from solid, & that's a whole different comparison. Most stresses in metals can be suitably relieved through heat treatment. The spinning process involves huge manipulation of the material, & if those stresses aren't relieved, you get big variations in hardness through the shell structure, so I'm completely with you on the cast is better than spinning thing.

Rather than getting into the detail of various processes, I was just chiming in with I don't get the huge premium attached to casting vs. machining a shell from DOM tubing or similar, that I regard as more consistent in structure.

As for the ply vs. non ply shells thing. Difference in retaining the original structure = hell yes. Difference in tension = well, that's a different story. Steam bent solid shells are usually in tension much more than a compressed multiple ply, yet they're probably the most resonant shells of all.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

True about those vintage Tamas.Even more legendary,is the original 1980 Mastercraft BB156,which was believe it or not,a 12 MM shell as cast,and turned down to a 5 MM shell,and finished in a brass patina and not polished.They weigh around 26 pounds.(imperial)

I have only seen one of those drums ever.They didn't sell very well at the time,so Tama thinned out the shell to 3 MM and polished it up,and added the long superstar lugs to it,which picked up sales.Drum fashion I guess,narrow tie/lapel,wide tie/lapel.

They do however sound like no other metal drum that I have ever heard,and for that reason,besides the scarcity,they will command high resale value.

I too have an 82 or there abouts superstar birch 8x14,and a Kingbeat 6.5x14 with diecast rims.There is no flex in these rims at all.As far as the lugs,as long as you don't try for uber high pitch tuning,they are fine.

Steve B
Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 PM

I agree that drummers are cheap. But part of that is because an average drumset is basically 10 instruments. Most guitar players I know can't afford ten USA Strats. Then again, the snare is obviously entitled to more attention than your second rack tom.

In any case, I'd rather keep the $4k and play my scratched up 1979 Black Beauty that I bought for $160. That said, if a Spirit of 2002 came around . . . .