DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 04-09-2012, 06:19 AM

Default How can I fix my problem with my Mapex 500 double bass pedal?

So I bought a Mapex 500 double bass pedal last week and I just can't adjust both pedals to the same tension, the left pedal always moves faster than the right. I've looked up countless videos, toyed with the tension for hours and had two of my friends who have been playing drums for over 3 years each try and help but to no avail. I think it might be a problem with the springs. So, is there anything I could do besides just buying new springs to adjust these right, also, my style is I play with my heel just off the pedal with a floating style when I push on the pedals, so I'm looking for a lighter tension if that helps, all answers are appreciated, all I want to do is play.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:14 AM

Default Re: How can I fix my problem with my Mapex 500 double bass pedal?

sorry man. Im sure someone on here can help you. I do not own double pedals. I have played around on them. The ones i have played on both pedals have felt different. Usually the slave pedal is stiffer to me. But that could also be my underdeveloped left leg.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarIsTheAnswer View Post
So I bought a Mapex 500 double bass pedal last week and I just can't adjust both pedals to the same tension, the left pedal always moves faster than the right. I've looked up countless videos, toyed with the tension for hours and had two of my friends who have been playing drums for over 3 years each try and help but to no avail. I think it might be a problem with the springs. So, is there anything I could do besides just buying new springs to adjust these right, also, my style is I play with my heel just off the pedal with a floating style when I push on the pedals, so I'm looking for a lighter tension if that helps, all answers are appreciated, all I want to do is play.
Welcome to the forum,

Couple of assumptions real quick:
1. The angle of both pedals is the same.
2. If #1 is true, then both beater angles are the same
3. There is no wear on the master pedal anywhere, including the bearings in the posts.

I didn't mention the u joint shaft because you're saying it's the master that is slower. That's interesting because most people complain about the slave lagging or being sluggish.

-How do they react when you pull back both beaters with your hand?
One thing you can also do is switch the springs and make sure both have the same tension. If now the master is faster, then it's probably time for at least 1 new spring. At least you've either eliminated or verified it is the springs.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarIsTheAnswer View Post

Even tho your right foot is your main, your left foot is probably stronger due to a more primal (less developed) technique.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Before buying new springs, swap them. Put the main onto the slave side, and vice-versa. That "should" make the main pedal faster, if indeed it's a spring issue.