DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-03-2012, 11:40 PM

Default Personal Monitor Mixer - Rolls vs. (ACK!) Behringer

I have used the Rolls model before, and it works fine. A drummer friend of mine asked about the Behringer version, which is half the price:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've been in a band that experienced a relatively new Behringer table-top mixer mysteriously up and die on the right channel, and I've also heard the noise in their small mixers. I've heard many similar horror stories, although I have also heard that their speakers are reliable, and decent-sounding.

From my own personal experience, I picked up one of their USB audio interfaces and have never had trouble with. A church I play for also uses one and no problems there either. So, I was wondering if maybe while Behringers suck in their amp and mixer lines, that this little personal monitor mixer would be fine, just like their USB interface appears to be. Anyone have experience or further thoughts on this?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Personal Monitor Mixer - Rolls vs. (ACK!) Behringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot View Post
I have used the Rolls model before, and it works fine. A drummer friend of mine asked about the Behringer version, which is half the price:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've been in a band that experienced a relatively new Behringer table-top mixer mysteriously up and die on the right channel, and I've also heard the noise in their small mixers. I've heard many similar horror stories, although I have also heard that their speakers are reliable, and decent-sounding.

From my own personal experience, I picked up one of their USB audio interfaces and have never had trouble with. A church I play for also uses one and no problems there either. So, I was wondering if maybe while Behringers suck in their amp and mixer lines, that this little personal monitor mixer would be fine, just like their USB interface appears to be. Anyone have experience or further thoughts on this?

As far as the Behringer is concerned, this is a nice little headphone amp, but for $20 I really wouldn't expect it to last long at all, especially if you gig regularly. This amp also doesn't have a limiter built into it to protect you from those moments where the singer screams "are you ready to rock, Springfield?!?!" into the mic and trashes your eardrums.

I would recommend a Rockbox personal mixer/limiter. Yes, it's a bit more expensive but I think it has already paid for itself in the 3 gigs that I've used it on. I got one of these a couple of months ago and I absolutely love it. With our PA, I run a line-out from the board to this box, and if we are playing somewhere with a house PA and floor monitors, I can just run a short speaker cable out from the wedge to the Rockbox. I take a long strip of velcro and attach it to my hi-hat stand, so I can adjust the volume myself by just reaching down. Very nice and well made product.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

I will agree that a built-in limiter is an absolute necessity for personal monitoring. I'm not familiar with the RockBox but even if the sound quality isn't fantastic (and it doesn't need to be for a personal monitoring mix; merely 'good enough') the built-in limiter is worth the money itself.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Why not get a solid headphone amp and put a solid limiter in line before the amp? That's what I'd do.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the input, guys, but I HATE limiters. I played at a church for two years at which we all had Shure Wireless Body Packs. I had nothing but problems for quite some time. It was like at the beginning of sound checks things would be fine, but later I would always be asking for things to be turned up or turned down. And, sounds seemed to fade up and fade down all by themselves. We finally looked at the pack and saw the limiter enabled. Turned it off and all was fine.

Plenty of churches use the Rolls model, which doesn't have a limiter, either, without any problems. In my secular band, and another church I play at, I'm headphoned directly into Mackie mixers, and there are no limiters, and everything sounds great. As far as I am concerned there should never be an instance where someone plays or sings so loudly that you need a limiter. The other thing about limiters is that they cause you to lose perspective when it comes to dynamics. ;-)

With that said, that Rockbox is cool in that it can handle a speaker-level input. Too bad it doesn't have an XLR for eaiser vocal mic patch-thru. I'm looking at these Behringers for other musicians in my secular band that don't move around much. I want to get all the monitors off the stage to save room, reduce load, and eliminate ambient stage monitor "noise". And, going completely wireless is out of my budget right now. ;-) That's why I was wondering about the Behringer model. The Rolls model is $49 and Behringer is $21, but they look almost identical.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

I would still run a limiter even if I didn't feel that I needed it. If you have a new sound engineer or a malfunctioning lead/mic or even the wrong polar pattern selected on your mics you can end up with uncontrollable feedback and I've seen desks unattended more than once.

The limiter shouldn't cause you any issues if it's set up properly, i.e. as a brickwall at a given level - that level being probably around 110dB (if you're using good isolating buds or headphones). Frankly, I'd rather have a slightly problematic limiter than no hearing whatsoever after a feedback incident.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe a limiter isn't what you want, but a compressor? A compressor set at 10:1 with the threshold set to -25dB seems to not only level the signal getting to your ears, but it clamps down on the incoming signal in a musical way. Sometimes using a limiter is too jarring when using in-ear headphones?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Maybe a limiter isn't what you want, but a compressor? A compressor set at 10:1 with the threshold set to -25dB seems to not only level the signal getting to your ears, but it clamps down on the incoming signal in a musical way. Sometimes using a limiter is too jarring when using in-ear headphones?
I would also again agree with Bo Eder here, with the caveat that a compression level that high may affect the monitor feed adversely and give a false sense of dynamic, leading to some listening issues. A soft limiter might be a better way of doing it, provided that it does brickwall eventually and the compression ratio is handled with a reasonably soft knee.

A limiter is just a compressor set up in a particular way, so Bo Eder's suggestion is a very sensible one - but to me I would like to retain the natural dynamics without resorting to wider Q compression.