DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 PM

Default Which Pads Feel Most Like Real Drums?

Hello,

I was close to getting V-drums, then a guy at GC told me that the silicon Yamaha DTX pads feel closer to real drums in that for people who tune their drums low, the V-drums are too bouncy, and especially with tension taken out, they don't trigger as well.

I like my toms tunes low, the snare tuned a little higher, and kick tuned low. Is DTX 500 silicon pads the way to go?

Thanks for your opinions, in advance!!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Which Pads Feel Most Like Real Drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
Is DTX 500 silicon pads the way to go?

Thanks for your opinions, in advance!!
Only you can make that decision..my recommendation..try them out to see if you like them…I personally don't have the TCS (silicone pads), but I have tried them and they do feel good are also very quiet (more quiet than mesh)..so if that's a concern, that's a bonus..

...sometime in the future I probably will purchase some TCS pads, but right now there are too many acoustic drums I'd rather have..:)
Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 AM

thank you SW, good advice I'll go try em and see. I def like the idea of less bouncy feeling pads, to emulate my acoustic kit more accurately. DTX seems to do this better tan v-drum mesh, so I'll check it and see. Cheers!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

Honestly, if your choice is pad A or pad B, play them both, and see which pad you like best.
I have 3 e-kits. A Roland, a Yamaha, and an 80's vintage Tama Techstar 305. And of the three, the Techstar pad feels most like a real drum. It uses a drum head over a piezo pad (underneath), and it even has small tension rods, so you can "adjust" the drum head tension. Outside of that, my Mandala pads feel very real. I have two of them. But a V1 costs about $800 (for 1 pad and it's module). V1's are no longer made. The V2 is $350, but requires a computer hook-up, via a USB. As far as sensitivity, the Korg Wave drum is the king (I have two of them, also), but at $400 per unit, not too many people are gonna make a drum kit outta Wave drums.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 AM

thanks harry you guys are right, the only way i'm gonna know is to try em side by side. but getting preliminary opinions helps me feel it out beforehand.

i have played the v-drum mesh pads a while back and remember them to be a little too bouncy for my taste and the way i normally have my drums tuned.

i'm hoping the dtx will feel less tensioned. i heard about some other dtx model that you can put real drum heads on, but they're apparently rare? not sure but if someone has info, please feel free to let me know.

thanks again.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM

Yamaha's first Dtxtreme kit came with wooden shells and real drum heads. They went to rubber pads with their revamped Dtxtreme II kit. You'll see a few of the original pads kicking around on ebay or CL from time to time.

One other thing about mesh heads. They're not all the same. Some are more "bouncy" than others so if you purchase a Roland kit and don't like the feel of their mesh heads, you can swap them out for mesh heads made by a third party such as Hart. Just be aware that mesh heads are not cheap so it will cost you a fair amount to swap out heads on a 5-piece kit.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedrummer View Post
Yamaha's first Dtxtreme kit came with wooden shells and real drum heads (mine has been upadted with newer module, cymbals, rack, etc..). They went to rubber pads with their revamped Dtxtreme II kit. You'll see a few of the original pads kicking around on ebay or CL from time to time.

One other thing about mesh heads. They're not all the same. Some are more "bouncy" than others so if you purchase a Roland kit and don't like the feel of their mesh heads, you can swap them out for mesh heads made by a third party such as Hart. Just be aware that mesh heads are not cheap so it will cost you a fair amount to swap out heads on a 5-piece kit.
Yea I have one..here's a pic..these were the original DTXtreme I RHP kits..they came with mylar heads, but you could put mesh heads on them…and they are not as bouncy as roland mesh pads, mainly because they have a full foam pad underneath the head (reflector plate design with two piezo's)…..

Last edited by scorch whammin; 03-30-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM

I used to own a Roland TD20 but I didnt like the trampoline bounce of the mesh heads. It really messed up my chops when practicing on the ekit and then moving over to my acoustic kit. Another thing to consider with Roland is hot spots. If you are planning to use VST software in the future like EZDrummer, Superior, BFD2, etc, the Roland mesh drums suffer from hot spots. The trigger cone is dead center on the pad which causes a spike in volume if you strike the drum over the tip of cone. I hit dead center, so I quickly got sick of hearing all of the volume spikes and pops. I tried and tried to tune it out but in the end, the Rolands had to go!

I sold the Roland gear and built a Yamaha DTX kit. I absolutely love the silicon pads. To me, they are the closest thing to an acoustic feel on the market. No more hot spots, and they have less stick noise than mesh heads. I would never go back to Roland. With VST software, my ekit is such a joy to play. Best wishes on your purchase. I play my edrums a lot more than my acoustics.

Chris
Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
I used to own a Roland TD20 but I didnt like the trampoline bounce of the mesh heads. It really messed up my chops when practicing on the ekit and then moving over to my acoustic kit. Another thing to consider with Roland is hot spots. If you are planning to use VST software in the future like EZDrummer, Superior, BFD2, etc, the Roland mesh drums suffer from hot spots. The trigger cone is dead center on the pad which causes a spike in volume if you strike the drum over the tip of cone. I hit dead center, so I quickly got sick of hearing all of the volume spikes and pops. I tried and tried to tune it out but in the end, the Rolands had to go!

I sold the Roland gear and built a Yamaha DTX kit. I absolutely love the silicon pads. To me, they are the closest thing to an acoustic feel on the market. No more hot spots, and they have less stick noise than mesh heads. I would never go back to Roland. With VST software, my ekit is such a joy to play. Best wishes on your purchase. I play my edrums a lot more than my acoustics.

Chris
+1…I agree Chris…I too, use to use roland exclusively (and still do play a td-20sx at church regularly)..the hot spot issue is definitely a problem with roland mesh head pads…and something you don't experience with yamaha pads...
Old 03-30-2012, 08:10 PM

Thanks! You guys just helped solidify my decision to go DTX. I played em yesterday at GC, definitely closer to acoustics than Roland mesh.

I'll probably get the 560K series, sell the rack and extra tom pad, and mount everything to 2 stands to save space. Then i'll get a USB to MIDI converter & go into my MacBook Pro laptop, use BFD for sounds and be good to go.

I'll upgrade the kick pad eventually, this was the only thing that seemed a little loud to me. The silicon kick pad would help a lot I think.

Thanks again. Yamaha DTX it is!
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Welcome to the Yamaha family. You might want to reach out to Eric at RMC audio (google it). Tell him Chris Snow from Texas sent you. They will destroy any price on Yamaha and Roland gear....period. I buy all my stuff from them. The Yamaha kick pad (KP-125) is not silicon, it is ....well, I really dont know what it is made out of. For some reason Yamaha didnt change the kick from the DTXtreme III to the DTX900. It is a different color, but its the same kick. I dont like it, it is very loud and thumpy. I actually use the Roland KD9 kickpad. To me, it is the best on the market and fairly cheap too. Eric at RMC can hook you up on that as well. I do like the Pearl kick pad too. I thought about getting one since they are selling the e-pro heads separate now. Maybe one day I will buy one and give it a try.

Also, I own BFD2 and I would recommend Superior Drummer over it. Unless you are going to get the Platinum samples Rock Legends expansion kit, Superior trounces BFD2. I have a lot of VST stuff and for edrum playing....Superior is the way to go. Head over to vdrums.com if you want the low down on VST stuff. It is a Roland site predominately, but me, Scorch, and some other Yamaha guys hang out there.

Chris
Old 03-31-2012, 06:45 AM

Thank you very much Chris!

I didn't realize you could mix & match pads like that. So its possible to use the DTX kit but simply use a Roland kick pad & patch into the DTX brain & again out to my MacBook Pro for the sounds?

Does the same logic apply to cymbal pads? That is... in theory could I use Roland cymbal pads & Roland kick pad, then the Yamaha silicon pads for the other 3 pieces of the kit (snare, rack, floor)? Would the DTX brain recognize the different zones of the Roland cymbal pads? Or since I'm going into a laptop would it even matter?

I'll definitely hit up Eric @ RMC, thanks for that!! Gonna just spend 1 more day locking down the exact components. I'm thinking DTX pads for all drums except the kick. Possibly Roland cymbals & hats, possibly Roland kick pad. Then mount all that to 2 cymbal stands with l-arm attachments, bypassing the rack since I play a small kit & need the space.

Much appreciated.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Does the same logic apply to cymbal pads? That is... in theory could I use Roland cymbal pads & Roland kick pad, then the Yamaha silicon pads for the other 3 pieces of the kit (snare, rack, floor)? Would the DTX brain recognize the different zones of the Roland cymbal pads? Or since I'm going into a laptop would it even matter?
Much appreciated.
You're gonna have to use yamaha's hihat pad with their module (yamaha & roland do things in opposite [so to speak] with their hihat pads) and personally yamaha's cymbal pads are every bit as good as roland (if not better) and are about half the price..many of the roland guys have switched over to yamaha cymbals for that reason alone...
Old 03-31-2012, 03:03 PM

I agree with Scorch. I like the Yamaha cymbals better than Roland, and they are a lot cheaper. The high hats, and silicon pads will not interchange. I believe there has to be a modification done on the cymbals for them to work but dont hold my feet to the fire on that one. I hated the Roland VH12 high hat. Although, it looked more like a real set of hats because it was two pieces, it was very loud. When doing foot work on the high hats, it sounded like a horse clopping through the room. The two plastic platters slapping together was very annoying. Annoying to the point my wife got irritated. The silicon pads will trigger on a Roland module but the sensitivity is not accurate, and you will only have one zone i.e. no rim shot. The kick pads are just simple single zone triggers so any kick from any brand will typically work. Same with the older rubber pads. Any of the rubber pads should work fine between vendors. Keep in mind, even with VSTs E drums will never be A drums. They will never have the same dynamics, color, or feel. However, they have come a long way and I enjoy using my kit a lot. They pads feel great and the VSTs sound fantastic but I would never go to 100% edrum. On the same note, I would never play 100% A drum either. I love being able to learn new grooves, fills, etc without everyone hearing the repetitive sloppy practice it takes to learn something new. Slow, repetitive, choppy practice was made for edrums :)

FYI, Guitar Center in San Antonio has 2 XP100T pads used for $199 each. You dont see used silicon pads on the market very often. I would snatch one or both of those if you see yourself expanding the kit you are buying.

Chris
Old 03-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I hated the Roland VH12 high hat. Although, it looked more like a real set of hats because it was two pieces, it was very loud. When doing foot work on the high hats, it sounded like a horse clopping through the room. The two plastic platters slapping together was very annoying.
Yep!…the VH12 is very overrated imo…yamaha's RHH135 is a softer rubber material..because of this it is quieter…also I really prefer yamaha cymbal and hihat sounds to rolands…but also know none of the current top modules compare to VST sounds (as Chris stated in his post)..in the e-drum world…file size is everything..modules operate in the MB size range for individual drum kits…whereas VST kits are in the GB file size range…
Old 03-31-2012, 06:14 PM

Great, thanks again boys. So in that case I'll simply get the DTX kit and swap out the kick pad for the Roland kick pad. Then swap the rack for 2 stands.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM

Here is my ekit by the way

Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

Nice looking kit Chris!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 PM

Great set , wow!!!
I am also on the way to buy dtx 560k and want to add vst sounds but i read in other forums that yamaha dtx 500 module has some issues with use of vst .
If somebody knows how to avoid problems with dtx 500 module please post here ..
Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerlandfreak View Post
Great set , wow!!!
I am also on the way to buy dtx 560k and want to add vst sounds but i read in other forums that yamaha dtx 500 module has some issues with use of vst .
If somebody knows how to avoid problems with dtx 500 module please post here ..
Thanks for the compliments. I love my ekit. I can practice with YouTube, sheet music, DVD programs, etc. The kit is very close to the same layout as my acoustics so transitioning between them is seamless. With VST software, I can spin up so many different kits, room sounds, etc. It is a ton of fun.

The DTX 500 module has a midi out so you wont have any issues. Superior and BFD2 both have a midi learn function so you can map your pads to the software. Other than the module sending the midi note, it doesnt have any interaction with your VST software. You will be fine. I think you may be confusing the ability of the module itself to play samples. It cant but you dont need it to. Hope that makes sense.

Chris
Old 04-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

Hey Chris…since you recommend Superior over BFD2..is the Superior software I need called
"TOONTRACK SUPERIOR DRUMMER 2.0 DRUM SOFTWARE"

I found this software on ebay for $169…seems like a good price…what do ya think?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
Hey Chris…since you recommend Superior over BFD2..is the Superior software I need called
"TOONTRACK SUPERIOR DRUMMER 2.0 DRUM SOFTWARE"

I found this software on ebay for $169…seems like a good price…what do ya think?
Yes, its Superior Drummer 2.0 Go to http://audiodeluxe.com They have it for $159. I would also recommend the Metal Machine EZX, The Classic EZX, and Music City SDX. Those are by far my favorites. I have almost all of the expansions. The Metal Machine is a great rock pack. I hate metal music, so dont let the title throw you.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post

Next time I am passing through Savannah, I am going to have to schedule some time to come by and play this kit. I have seen so many pictures of it. I gotta give this kit a run sometime. I used to drive through there all the time when I was staying at my other house in Florida. I would drive through on my way up to NC.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Yes, its Superior Drummer 2.0 Go to http://audiodeluxe.com They have it for $159. I would also recommend the Metal Machine EZX, The Classic EZX, and Music City SDX. Those are by far my favorites. I have almost all of the expansions. The Metal Machine is a great rock pack. I hate metal music, so dont let the title throw you.
Cool!…yea I've been meaning to try out some VST's..one thing holding me back has been a fast enough laptop..although that is gonna change here soon..as I plan on getting a new macbook pro within the next couple months..

Quote:
Next time I am passing through Savannah, I am going to have to schedule some time to come by and play this kit. I have seen so many pictures of it. I gotta give this kit a run sometime. I used to drive through there all the time when I was staying at my other house in Florida. I would drive through on my way up to NC.
Anytime man..now if we can yamaha to put some wood shells around those TCS pads…that would be the ticket…:)
Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 AM

Is the kick pad of the dtxtreme pictured below as quiet as the Roland kick pad? Was wondering if I should go for this kind of kick pad with my dtx kit instead of the Roland kick, so as to keep it in the family so to speak??
Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Is the kick pad of the dtxtreme pictured below as quiet as the Roland kick pad? Was wondering if I should go for this kind of kick pad with my dtx kit instead of the Roland kick, so as to keep it in the family so to speak??
If you're referring to the RHP kick pad, then yes it is as quiet as any other mesh head kick pad…and it looks better to boot..
Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 AM

What's the model # for such a kick pad?
I checked out the KP125 but honestly felt that was kinda loud too, compared to the large white Roland mesh kick pad.
If you're saying the RHP kick pad is equally quiet I'd love to get my hands on one, but not sure how to find it in a Google search (model #)? How much they go for? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:15 PM

sorry, but i must say that i am totaly against electronic drums.. i still do not get how many artist stil use such stuff.. karla
Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlaa View Post
sorry, but i must say that i am totaly against electronic drums.. i still do not get how many artist stil use such stuff.. karla
Then why are you reading threads in an electronic drum section? I am sure I can rack up more practice hours in a week than you can. I can play at all hours of the night or day without disturbing neighbors. Most drummers cannot do that unless they have a sound isolation room. While you sit on the couch air drumming or playing on a practice pad listening to tap, tap, tap, I am playing on a full drum set that is a 95% replication of my acoustic kit and hearing actual drums that are recorded in some of the best studios around the world. I have a plethora of cymbals, toms, snares, hats, etc to choose from companies like DW, Gretch, Tama, Ludwig, Slingerland, Noble N Coley, Rogers, Sonar, Pearl, Yamaha, Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian, etc. All in vintage and modern flavors. And then, when I feel like it, I can walk out to the garage and play my acoustic kit. Electronic drums are not what you think they are anymore. Synthesizer sounds from a small, toy looking kit with plastic pad days are long gone. Your the one missing out but thanks for stopping by. How is that practice pad sounding? Just like it did yesterday, right? I have not had a drummer yet that that has sat down behind my kit while triggering Superior Drummer and not had have a huge grin on their face. Most of the time, I have to kick them off the set, or they would try to move in to my house.... LOL I can also record my playing so I can better critique my performance, I can use software to show if I am in front or behind the beat live, I can measure the dynamics of my strokes, etc etc. Electronic drums can and will make you a better drummer. Its all about practice and the more practice the better. Granted, ekits are not a replacement for acoustic drums. I still prefer the feel of acoustics better, but I would never, never, never be without an ekit......EVER!

Chris

Last edited by csnow; 04-02-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:57 PM

i tried searching under 'rhp kick pad' to no avail. anyone know how i can find more info on this kick pad?
its different from the KP125, no?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
i tried searching under 'rhp kick pad' to no avail. anyone know how i can find more info on this kick pad?
its different from the KP125, no?
If you are referring to the kick on Scorch's kit, they are no longer available. I believe those are about 10 years old and are hard to find these days. I mentioned earlier that I like the KD9 a lot, and its only $150 at RMC. I have owned a lot of different kicks, and I prefer this one the best.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Thanks Chris, yes that's right I remember you mentioning the Roland kick pad. I was just trying to see if there's anything in the Yamaha family kick pads which are quiet, so as to keep my kit 'in brand' so to speak. Sounds like the Roland kick you recommend is the way to go tho. The bigger Roland white mesh kick looks cool too. Any experience with those? Both Yamaha kick pads (big & small one) that I tried were loud, unfortunately.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks Chris, yes that's right I remember you mentioning the Roland kick pad. I was just trying to see if there's anything in the Yamaha family kick pads which are quiet, so as to keep my kit 'in brand' so to speak. Sounds like the Roland kick you recommend is the way to go tho. The bigger Roland white mesh kick looks cool too. Any experience with those? Both Yamaha kick pads (big & small one) that I tried were loud, unfortunately.
Yes, I owned the larger 12" Roland mesh kick. It was on my TD20 setup. It was one of the first items I sold. I didnt like the rebound at all with the pedals. I sold it and bought two KD8s at the time because I was playing a double bass acoustic kit. The KD8 didnt have any give and was kinda loud, but I preferred it over the trampoline mesh. I really am an anti-mesh guy, so you might want to go try the kicks out for yourself. It is all personal preference, so you may love the feel of something I despise. I think the KD9 is a good common ground but I am itching to try the Pearl Tru-Trac head on a standard kick drum. It felt pretty good when I played it at Guitar Center; however, it was noisier than the KD9. On my ekit, stick and pad noise is important to me since my drums are in the room next to where my wife watches TV. If mama aint happy, no ones happy.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
If you are referring to the kick on Scorch's kit, they are no longer available. I believe those are about 10 years old and are hard to find these days. I mentioned earlier that I like the KD9 a lot, and its only $150 at RMC. I have owned a lot of different kicks, and I prefer this one the best.
It's called a KP120 RHP..you can still find them occasionally on ebay..generally they sell in the $250-$350 range…the last year I saw maybe three of them on ebay..
Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 AM

Thanks guys. Chris I'll follow your suggestion and go KD9 for the kick for now. Unless I happen to come across a KP120 RHP (which would keep my kit in the Yamaha brand). Will update you guys once I've made the purchase.

Cheers!

Last edited by johnbarnesiii; 04-03-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:42 AM

I was always a fan of the 10" mesh snare, and the rubber toms. Could never stand the mesh toms for some reason... though, eventually I would get sick of the whole damn set up and go back to acoustic drums.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 AM

I can appreciate everyone has an opinion and a preference, but being against it?..like people are against drugs or against racism or against abortion.

To each there own I always say. I like the acoustic kit and I like the electric kit for different reasons. How many people were against the electric guitar when they came out?

I'm not trying to get anyones back up or anything- but when drummers display purism or whatever it is.. it just seems childish. (and I'm not directing this at Karla specifically)

I played a gig where our band was opening for another band and I met the other drummer. I was playing an electric kit with real cymbals, but the other drummer hadn't seen that yet. I talked with the other drummer and we hit it off. When he found out I had an electric kit he scoffed at me and I was shunned. Didn't speak with me again aside from some anti electric drum statement. I found it funny at the time. Still do actually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlaa View Post

"Without drums, life would be a mistake" - Socrates
Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Hey Chris,

So I e-mailed Erik at RMC for a quote.

For cost & space efficiency, and because I like the larger pads instead of the ones in the 560 bundle, I've tweaked the standard DTX 560 bundle components to suit my needs. For example, since I only play a 4-piece kit, I'll only need one rack tom instead of two. Also for space & cost efficiency, I'm foregoing the rack and using my current hardware instead. Here are the components.

15" PCY150S ride cymbal
15" PCY150S crash cymbal
13" RHH135 hi-hats
10" XP100T tom pad
12" XP120T floor tom pad
12" XP120SD (B-Stock) snare pad
Roland KD9 kick pad
DTX500 module

I was wondering if you had any suggestions about the above? Are there any changes or more current components that you'd recommend me replacing out for any of the above?

Thanks Chris!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac_drummer View Post
I can appreciate everyone has an opinion and a preference, but being against it?..like people are against drugs or against racism or against abortion.

To each there own I always say. I like the acoustic kit and I like the electric kit for different reasons. How many people were against the electric guitar when they came out?

I'm not trying to get anyones back up or anything- but when drummers display purism or whatever it is.. it just seems childish. (and I'm not directing this at Karla specifically)

I played a gig where our band was opening for another band and I met the other drummer. I was playing an electric kit with real cymbals, but the other drummer hadn't seen that yet. I talked with the other drummer and we hit it off. When he found out I had an electric kit he scoffed at me and I was shunned. Didn't speak with me again aside from some anti electric drum statement. I found it funny at the time. Still do actually!
I understand where you're coming from…e-kits certainly have their place in the drumming community and personnally I like them and use them regularly…however, that being said, IMO they'll never replace an acoustic kit, both from a visual and sonic perspective…VST software has gotten the sonic side alot closer than it's ever been, but for me no e-kit can touch the looks of a well set up acoustic kit…just my 2 cents..
Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hey Chris,

So I e-mailed Erik at RMC for a quote.

For cost & space efficiency, and because I like the larger pads instead of the ones in the 560 bundle, I've tweaked the standard DTX 560 bundle components to suit my needs. For example, since I only play a 4-piece kit, I'll only need one rack tom instead of two. Also for space & cost efficiency, I'm foregoing the rack and using my current hardware instead. Here are the components.

15" PCY150S ride cymbal
15" PCY150S crash cymbal
13" RHH135 hi-hats
10" XP100T tom pad
12" XP120T floor tom pad
12" XP120SD (B-Stock) snare pad
Roland KD9 kick pad
DTX500 module

I was wondering if you had any suggestions about the above? Are there any changes or more current components that you'd recommend me replacing out for any of the above?

Thanks Chris!
Sounds like a pretty nice setup Chris!…the only thing you might think about adding is another cymbal…yamaha makes a PCY100 (10") that makes for a nice splash or crash…and because of its size doesn't take up too much room...