DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Pro Drum - Hollywood, CA.

Took a little ad-ven-ture to Hollywood, last week. And, took a few pictures. The Slingerland kit, was one of the last kits Buddy Rich played. The black Ludwig kit, was the first drum kit sold, in 1959, by Pro Drum. The cat who owned it, Frank Bordonaro, gave it back to Pro Drum, since he can't play anymore. The drums went full circle. With so many shops closing, Pro Drum is now the oldest drum shop in the US. At least, that's what I've been told.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pro Drum - Hollywood, CA.

Love that place. I try to get out there as often as I can. I've known Stan and Jerry for over 20 years now. Wow. I'm old.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

Harry, that looks like my Imperial Star next to buddy's kit.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Harry, that looks like my Imperial Star next to buddy's kit.
'Cept it's a '59 Luddy. The original owner of Pro Drum, Bob Yeager, sold
that kit to Frank. Frank had helped build walls, work benches, etc., to get the shop "drum ready", and when the store finally opened, he bought the first kit out of the store. A few years ago, he brought the kit back, and gave it to Stan and Jerry. They offered to pay him, but he refused. His "present" to Pro Drum. And quite an addition to their history.
They have a double bass Zickos kit, that belonged to Floyd Sneed (Three Dog Night), up above the front door. Heavily modified (the drums, not the front door), they have Camco lugs on them, instead of the Zickos lugs.
Also on that shelf, a Ludwig Tequila Sunrise Vistalite kit, that once was owned by Jack Irons (RHCP).
Then, there was the time George Harrison shopped Pro Drum. Needed to get a few items for Ringo. Yup, they are THE drum shop in Los Angeles.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Oops!
the hoops and lugs looked very 80s Tama to me..
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't been there yet. Heard about the place of course. Someday soon I'll have to leave work early and swing by there. Sounds like a cool shop.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I haven't been there yet. Heard about the place of course. Someday soon I'll have to leave work early and swing by there. Sounds like a cool shop.
Very cool shop. But actually, the way they work in there, you might not think so upon arrival. They leave you alone and let you browse. It's definitely not like a GC or a Sam Ash where they're on top of you as soon as you come in the door. I remember it took me a while to get used to the fact that I wouldn't be there unless I knew what I wanted, so I basically had to tell them what I wanted rather than them selling me something. It's the epitome of a pro shop.

Of course, they'll help anyone who needs it and I've seen parents come in with general questions or somebody who just wanted help tuning a snare drum, and they're extremely helpful. But I'm sure there are generations of kids who only know how you're treated when you go to the big box music stores (like walking into a dealership to buy a car), so going to Pro Drum should a refreshing change of pace for alot of people.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

Excited to see this place on friday, and get some thin arc spurs for 1/2 of what ebay wants.

Last edited by Evilbagua; 03-28-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
'Cept it's a '59 Luddy. The original owner of Pro Drum, Bob Yeager, sold
that kit to Frank. Frank had helped build walls, work benches, etc., to get the shop "drum ready", and when the store finally opened, he bought the first kit out of the store. A few years ago, he brought the kit back, and gave it to Stan and Jerry. They offered to pay him, but he refused. His "present" to Pro Drum. And quite an addition to their history.
They have a double bass Zickos kit, that belonged to Floyd Sneed (Three Dog Night), up above the front door. Heavily modified (the drums, not the front door), they have Camco lugs on them, instead of the Zickos lugs.
Also on that shelf, a Ludwig Tequila Sunrise Vistalite kit, that once was owned by Jack Irons (RHCP).
Then, there was the time George Harrison shopped Pro Drum. Needed to get a few items for Ringo. Yup, they are THE drum shop in Los Angeles.
Thanks for the photos Harry. Definitely a tourist stop if I'm ever in L.A. So, I've never heard the George shopping for Ringo story before. Wonder why? Was this during the Beatles period? I know George lived in L.A. for awhile ("Blue Jay Way"?) and Ringo still (?) has a home there. Interesting stuff.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Anthony Amodeo

my favorite shop in the country

Jerry and Stan are the coolest

first time I went there was about 18 years ago so I never met Bob...but I wish I had

many good times there

Last edited by Anthony Amodeo; 03-28-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Thanks for the photos Harry. Definitely a tourist stop if I'm ever in L.A. So, I've never heard the George shopping for Ringo story before. Wonder why? Was this during the Beatles period? I know George lived in L.A. for awhile ("Blue Jay Way"?) and Ringo still (?) has a home there. Interesting stuff.
no it wasnt during the Beatles era it was probably mid to late 70s when George went in to shop for Ringo.....maybe early 80s even

a close friend of the shop Jim Keltner asked the guys if they would stick around a bit after they close for him to bring a friend by, they agreed

he brought George by and he bought some T shirts and some small percussion items that totaled about $90 ...and at that time the owner Bob Yeager was making all employees call in ALL credit cards after being stiffed by a few customers...this was when cards were done manually .....the guys say they hated doing it since they had to call in some cards they knew would be fine....one of them being Neil Diamond....they had to call in his card while standing in front of him...hilarious

Stan says George handed him the card and he looked at Bob and Bob just shook his head as if to say....no dont worry about it

they never had to call in a card after that day
Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
no it wasnt during the Beatles era it was probably mid to late 70s when George went in to shop for Ringo.....maybe early 80s even

a close friend of the shop Jim Keltner asked the guys if they would stick around a bit after they close for him to bring a friend by, they agreed

he brought George by and he bought some T shirts and some small percussion items that totaled about $90 ...and at that time the owner Bob Yeager was making all employees call in ALL credit cards after being stiffed by a few customers...this was when cards were done manually .....the guys say they hated doing it since they had to call in some cards they knew would be fine....one of them being Neil Diamond....they had to call in his card while standing in front of him...hilarious

Stan says George handed him the card and he looked at Bob and Bob just shook his head as if to say....no dont worry about it

they never had to call in a card after that day
Fascinating..thanks. Wuold still be neat to know exactly why George was there and not Ringo. A gift? Or why Neil Diamond would shop there. Unless Neil is also a drummer. I guess I shuold be the book or DVD that I think was released recently about the shop.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Fascinating..thanks. Wuold still be neat to know exactly why George was there and not Ringo. A gift? Or why Neil Diamond would shop there. Unless Neil is also a drummer. I guess I shuold be the book or DVD that I think was released recently about the shop.

George was buying Ringo a birthday gift and Neil was buying his son a ride cymbal

...and yeah its all in the DVD
Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
..... DVD that I think was released recently about the shop.
Yes, they put out a 50 year anniversary DVD .... "Professional Drum Shop's 50 Years" .... a wonderful little watch .... I especially love all the anecdote's shared by some of the shops "regulars" .... great stuff.
Two drum shop owners walk into a bar .....
Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 PM

Wow, so glad I found this thread. I just moved to LA, and had never even heard of this place, let alone visited! Deffffinitely checking this out ASAP!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Con View Post
Wow, so glad I found this thread. I just moved to LA, and had never even heard of this place, let alone visited! Deffffinitely checking this out ASAP!
get down to Vine and say hi to Stan and Jerry.....Danny to what the heck :)

best shop on the planet and best shop owners
Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Very cool shop. But actually, the way they work in there, you might not think so upon arrival. They leave you alone and let you browse. It's definitely not like a GC or a Sam Ash where they're on top of you as soon as you come in the door. I remember it took me a while to get used to the fact that I wouldn't be there unless I knew what I wanted, so I basically had to tell them what I wanted rather than them selling me something. It's the epitome of a pro shop.

Of course, they'll help anyone who needs it and I've seen parents come in with general questions or somebody who just wanted help tuning a snare drum, and they're extremely helpful. But I'm sure there are generations of kids who only know how you're treated when you go to the big box music stores (like walking into a dealership to buy a car), so going to Pro Drum should a refreshing change of pace for alot of people.
Well put, Bo. It really is the best shop ever!

\,,/
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:

dead on Bo
Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Ill be out in LA from the 9th to the 14th.... actually going to try to stay an extra day to go to Bermudas clinic

some of us should meet up at Pro Drum and talk shop
Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Ill be out in LA from the 9th to the 14th.... actually going to try to stay an extra day to go to Bermudas clinic

Great idea, I'm in. Name the time and day.

\,,/
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Set up a date and a time - preferably early on a Sunday, and I just might make it out! There's a 7-11 next door a couple of doors down if anyone needs to have some kind of breakfast snack ;)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
.....7-11 ... breakfast snack ....
And for something a little more "substantial" ..... El Coyote Mexican Cafe. 7312 Beverly Blvd (from Pro Drum .... head south, then west) http://www.elcoyotecafe.com/ Excellent food .... and Margaritas !
A guy sitting towards the center of the bar shouts "All drum shop owners are a______'s" ....
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
And for something a little more "substantial" ..... El Coyote Mexican Cafe. 7312 Beverly Blvd (from Pro Drum .... head south, then west) http://www.elcoyotecafe.com/ Excellent food .... and Margaritas !
A guy sitting towards the center of the bar shouts "All drum shop owners are a______'s" ....
...I resent that

why... are you a drum shop owner?

...no Im an a_____e!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
...I resent that

why... are you a drum shop owner?

...no Im an a_____e!
Burma Shave .................................................
Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've always thought El Coyote was a bit over-rated as far as Mexican food goes.
At least compared to El Compadre (Hollywood), La Cabana (Venice area), or Casa Vega (Sherman Oaks area), or one of the hundreds of smaller places around town.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I'd love to turn up for that, but the drive's a tad arduous ;)

I wonder if they'd be interested in representing Guru? Sounds like the kind of shop we'd be interested in talking to :)
Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

Love Stand and Jerry, those guys are the best!
They take care of me real well anytime I stop in.
And the best part is convenience, I only live two blocks away :)
Old 03-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
you lucky dog

I would love to be able to walk down there everyday

when I lived in Venice in the mid 90s I would drive there at least 3 or 4 times a week and stare at this Burgundy sparkle 1967 Ludwig kit

about a month into my visits Stan said to me...either buy it or we have to cut the apron strings....we laughed....and I bought it the next day..hahahah

when I moved back east a couple years later I sold it back to them and I regret it to this day

I mentioned it to them on facebook recently and they remembered the kit and the situation

I told them if that kit every makes its way back to the shop make sure Im made aware of it

my goodness that thing was beautiful

22" kick 14" rack and two 16x16 floor toms, ride mount on the kick....oooooooph !!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
Breakfast at your house!

\,,/
Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I actually think about that place every day I go to work because I drive right through the East LA interchange twice a day. I knew a place very much like that place here in OC. I don't really like the GC selection lately. It's always the same boring crap, you know? I'm actually interested in getting another ride cymbal, so I just have to go by there one of these days.

Are they even open on Sunday? I've been to the website. I thought it was M-Sat, 9-5.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I've always thought El Coyote was a bit over-rated as far as Mexican food goes.
At least compared to El Compadre (Hollywood), La Cabana (Venice area), or Casa Vega (Sherman Oaks area), or one of the hundreds of smaller places around town.
I like going to Olivera Street right in Downtown. They have Mexican restaurants lined up in a row.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I actually think about that place every day I go to work because I drive right through the East LA interchange twice a day. I knew a place very much like that place here in OC. I don't really like the GC selection lately. It's always the same boring crap, you know? I'm actually interested in getting another ride cymbal, so I just have to go by there one of these days.

Are they even open on Sunday? I've been to the website. I thought it was M-Sat, 9-5.
I don't think they'll ever be open on a Sunday. That's nice and old-fashioned too.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No, they're not open Sundays. 6 days a week, and Stan and Jerry rotate who's on/who's off on Saturdays. Last Saturday, Stan worked, so this Saturday, Jerry should be there.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't think they'll ever be open on a Sunday. That's nice and old-fashioned too.
I only said that because one of you guys mentioned Sunday. Bermuda's clinic is on a Sunday at Sam Ash in Hawthorne.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I only said that because one of you guys mentioned Sunday. Bermuda's clinic is on a Sunday at Sam Ash in Hawthorne.
Doh! That was ME! I'm an idiot. Yeah, the guys like their Sundays off. Nevermind ;)
Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

I've been going to Pro Drum for over 35 years. I was just there Friday. Simply the best drum shop in LA, and it always has been.

And a big +1 for Harry's recommendation of El Coyote. I've been going there just as long! And I was just there Friday also! In fact, I'm at El Coyote every Friday for lunch! If you tried EC before and thought the food wasn't quite up to speed, try it again. They have a bunch of new menu items (including a new guacamole) that are really tasty.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, let's face it .... there are plenty of good Mexican restaurants in LA. I go to whichever one I'm closest to, as my daily adventure unfolds. Today, for example, I'm probably gonna be in Highland Park .... and when I'm inb Highland Park, and I want Mexican, I go to Chico's .....
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2012, 10:45 PM

My first trip to PDS was in 1973 and my last was about a month ago. It remains simply the best. A close second (when it was still there) was Roy Harte's Drum City, right around the corner on Santa Monica Blvd, just east of Vine.

However, if we're going to meet for food, it's got to be Phillipe's on Alameda St. The home of the french dip sandwich.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerLudwig View Post
My first trip to PDS was in 1973 and my last was about a month ago. It remains simply the best. A close second (when it was still there) was Roy Harte's Drum City, right around the corner on Santa Monica Blvd, just east of Vine.

However, if we're going to meet for food, it's got to be Phillipe's on Alameda St. The home of the french dip sandwich.
I vote Versailles on Venice Blvd.

my god do I miss that place!!!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
I vote Versailles on Venice Blvd.

my god do I miss that place!!!!!
Cuban? 202020202020202