DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 PM

Default Top 3 Greatest Living Jazz Drummers

here's mine...

1. Roy Haynes
2. Al Foster
3. Louis Hayes

now you...
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: Top 3 Greatest Living Jazz Drummers

gun to my head

Ignacio Berroa
Brian Blade
Eric Harland

in no particular order
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

The first two are shoe in all -stars:

1) Roy Haynes

2) Jack DeJohnette

The 3rd , I dunno:

Billy Higgins/Brian Blade/Jeff Ballard/Ari Hoenig/Jeff 'Tain Watts/ Bill Stewart/ .. its a long list

Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 PM

Are we judging based on how they play NOW, or their historical accomplishments? Basically, new-er breed, or old breed? I mean, Roy is still totally killing it, but the days of Now He Sings, Now He Sobs are over...

Old: Roy, Jack, Foster

New: Stewart, Blade, .....and Rodney Green!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryOnDrums View Post
Are we judging based on how they play NOW, or their historical accomplishments? Basically, new-er breed, or old breed? I mean, Roy is still totally killing it, but the days of Now He Sings, Now He Sobs are over...

Old: Roy, Jack, Foster

New: Stewart, Blade, .....and Rodney Green!
I went current taking it as how someone is playing now

but the word "greatest " would for sure refer to guys like Roy and Jack
Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

In the context of music I take great to mean guys who have perfomed at the highest level for a reasonably long period of time, and guys who have changed or influenced the way their instrument is played to the extent that following generations copy their style.

Its my own little def...

PS- Harland is sick!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

I'll go with unnamed names in no particular order.

Peter Eskine
Jeff Hamilton
Joey Baron

My Kit Latest Update
Old 03-27-2012, 10:10 PM

Roy Haynes, Brian Blade, Greg Hutchinson

Man, lists are rough though!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

1. Roy Haynes. Roy is a historical jazz figure. One of the most important jazz drummers ever. He played with Bird in his early years and helped shape the post-bop vocabulary with his unique sound and approach. Roy's way of playing the snare drum and the sound he got from it was unique in his time; it earned him the nickname "Snap Crackle." His playing with Chick was another chapter of innovation. The drumming on Now He Sings... is one of my favorite jazz performances. A legend. Yeah, he's lost a step in the past couple of years. But at 85, I still saw him swing a band at the Detroit Jazz Festival into bad health. He's a savvy veteran and knows how to get the most out of his physical abilities. He's easily #1 on my list.

2. Jack DeJohnette. Jack has been on the scene for over 40 years but he's lost nothing. He's maybe the last great to arrive in the lineage of great jazz drummers through the golden years of jazz. His playing with Miles was groundbreaking, funky and swinging. And I've enjoyed his solo work and some of the more "out" projects like Song X. But for me, he's at his very best with the Jarrett trio. Jack doesn't play any licks. He seems to have an endless well of fresh ideas that sound completely spontaneous all the time. He's the most pure improviser, listening and playing entirely in the moment, I've ever heard. His touch is impeccable, his drum and cymbal sound tasteful and innovative and he's just pure class.

3. Jimmy Cobb. Jimmy is often overlooked, but this is the man who played on arguably the greatest jazz record of all-time: Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue. Not to mention all those other great Miles and Cannonball Adderley dates. Jimmy was understated and a minimalist, but he swung like a motherf****r on those classic 50s and 60s dates and when he played something, he MEANT IT. Jimmy is still active in NYC and still swings. We need to be honoring this guy while we still have him. He was an integral part of so much music that has meant so much to so many people.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

In no order:

Roy Haynes
Jack DeJohnette
Jimmy Cobb
Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
1. Roy Haynes. Roy is a historical jazz figure. One of the most important jazz drummers ever. He played with Bird in his early years and helped shape the post-bop vocabulary with his unique sound and approach. Roy's way of playing the snare drum and the sound he got from it was unique in his time; it earned him the nickname "Snap Crackle." His playing with Chick was another chapter of innovation. The drumming on Now He Sings... is one of my favorite jazz performances. A legend. Yeah, he's lost a step in the past couple of years. But at 85, I still saw him swing a band at the Detroit Jazz Festival into bad health. He's a savvy veteran and knows how to get the most out of his physical abilities. He's easily #1 on my list.

2. Jack DeJohnette. Jack has been on the scene for over 40 years but he's lost nothing. He's maybe the last great to arrive in the lineage of great jazz drummers through the golden years of jazz. His playing with Miles was groundbreaking, funky and swinging. And I've enjoyed his solo work and some of the more "out" projects like Song X. But for me, he's at his very best with the Jarrett trio. Jack doesn't play any licks. He seems to have an endless well of fresh ideas that sound completely spontaneous all the time. He's the most pure improviser, listening and playing entirely in the moment, I've ever heard. His touch is impeccable, his drum and cymbal sound tasteful and innovative and he's just pure class.

3. Jimmy Cobb. Jimmy is often overlooked, but this is the man who played on arguably the greatest jazz record of all-time: Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue. Not to mention all those other great Miles and Cannonball Adderley dates. Jimmy was understated and a minimalist, but he swung like a motherf****r on those classic 50s and 60s dates and when he played something, he MEANT IT. Jimmy is still active in NYC and still swings. We need to be honoring this guy while we still have him. He was an integral part of so much music that has meant so much to so many people.
Can't argue with this list!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

1. Roy Haynes
2. Jack DeJohnette
3. Billy Hart and Jimmy Cobb

Last edited by groove1; 03-31-2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: sentence change
Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Rebel

Excellent brief per each drummer. Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post

Old 03-28-2012, 01:56 AM
Gold Member

Roy, Jack and Ignacio. For younger cats, Brian, Eric and Ari.

Seriously though, there's too many epic drummers, we could have 50 different top threes and they would all be amazing.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

My three favourites, the way they play now (no idea who's the "best"):

Brian Blade
Jack Dejohnette
Joey Baron
Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member

Jack Dejohnette

Roy Haynes

Lenny White

Yes Lenny White folks..... SERIOUS jazz playing and listening going on here. Check out his playing everybody on the recent double Grammy award winning acoustic jazz trio live recording with Chick and Stanley called "Forever" ...enough said :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 AM

1. Jeff Hamilton

2. Steve Smith

3. Ed Shaughnessy
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM

for me right now it's

jeff "tain" watts
eric harland
bill stewart

i dont think they are the best but who i like to listen to......
Old 03-29-2012, 04:54 AM

I just want to say that there are really a lot of young jazz drummers (under 35) that are making outstanding contributions to the music while respecting the priceless heritage that is embodied by guys like Roy and Jack - two gentleman whose contribution to the rhythmic language of jazz is astounding.

Also, this thread makes me reflect on the recent loss of Paul Motian. His musical concept defies encapsulation in a sentence. He, like Roy and Jack are consummate musicians who happen to express themselves on the drumset.

ps. i agree that people sleep on Lenny White.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 AM
drumfreak1987

jack dejohnette, jeff ballard, and keith carlock

there are some great mentions in the previous posts too, stellas and fellas. y'all check out billy martin, jerome dupree, and rich stizel!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Pioneer Member

Oh man, this such a loaded question!!!

1. Nasheet Waits

2. Eric McPherson

3. Billy Hart

Obviously Roy and Jack SHOULD be on my list, but theyre just a given IMO.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 AM

Clayton Cameron deserves a mention in any short list

Louis Burdett was the best freeform player I've ever seen

got no #3
Old 03-29-2012, 12:27 PM

Jack Johnette
Antonio Sanchez
Good ole Tony Williams
Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Peter Erskine
Brian Blade
Tony Williams
Old 03-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurdrums View Post
Jack Johnette
Antonio Sanchez
Good ole Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Peter Erskine
Brian Blade
Tony Williams
Living drummers ! Unless Tony is on a private island with Elvis, Michael Jackson and all the others dead celebrity :p

My Kit Latest Update
Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 PM
BigSteve

Good to see Ignacio Berroa mentioned here. I had the privilege to see his quartet here in Sacramento, sat right in front of him. What an experience!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Buddy Rich

Joe Morello

Jack DeJohnette

Steve B
Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Buddy Rich

Joe Morello
living?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Rebel

Same thoughts! Heaven can wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Living drummers ! Unless Tony is on a private island with Elvis, Michael Jackson and all the others dead celebrity :p
Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 PM

I love Nasheet Waits, McPherson and Jabali Billy Hart. Great list of guys who don't really get enough recognition.

I will name 3 guys in the under 35 crowd who deserve wider recognition:

1. Marcus Gilmore - his work on Vijay Iyer's new record is stunning. Also his playing with Mark Turner's quartet, what a band. Everything Marcus plays, he seems to approach with the larger musical statement of the ensemble at the forefront of his mind. He also seems to have a vast imagination that draws from the well of the tradition (created in no small part by his grandfather Haynes) without ever resorting to licks or cliches. Totally inspiring to listen to his work.

2. Dan Weiss - another guy who has absorbed music from several cultures, particularly Indian classical, as he is an accomplished tabla player. His work with David Binney showcases his fluency in the language of traditional and contemporary jazz as well as various styles of straight 8th and 16th based music. That group really explores a wide pallette of influences on their several recordings and is always surprising and engaging. -Dan Weiss's own trio has also put out 2 very good albums - I hope for another one soon.

3. Justin Brown - has shown great ability in a number of diverse musical environments. He has played with Vijay Iyer and recorded with trumpeter Brian Lynch on his"Con Clave vol.2 album. He has also explored with afro-cuban and yoruba based music with Cuban saxophonist and shekere master Yosvany Terry. He is part of the young pianist Gerald Clayton's exciting trio with Joe Sanders on bass, a group that has put out 2 records that are really exciting. His playing on Ambrose Akinmusire's latest record "When the Heart Emerges Glistening" really showcases his diverse talents. One track on the record entitled "My name is Oscar Grant" is essentially an explosive yet musical drum solo set against a background of spoken word.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

that's hard! I'll pick three of my favourites:

-Bill Stewart
-Jack DeJohnette
-Jeff Hamilton
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

OK, Like 8Mile, I put Roy at the top for his contributions, not just virtuosity. But the rest of the list is tough. Here's the "Easy" list, and I thoroughly agree with 8Mile's description:

1) Roy Haynes
2) Jack DeJohnette
3) Jimmy Cobb

But I would also interchange any of the other two with:

Andrew Cyrille- scary intensity at the highest playing level, has played with Cecil Taylor, Coltrane and Albert Ayler.

Joe Chambers- has played with Miles, Andrew Hill, Joe Henderson and Max Roach's M'Boom plus many other greats. He has a great, crisp, authoritative sound. Very underrated.

Louis Hayes. I mainly know his playing with McCoy Tyner, but he's right up there with the best.

Ben Riley- Anything with Monk.

Charlie Persip- Killer playing with Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Great brush playing.

Ronald Shannon Jackson- If you can find his record "Pulse" anywhere, buy it. Also stuff with Ornette Coleman's Prime Time, his Decoding Society stuff, anything with Cecil Taylor.

I'm starting to run out of descriptive steam. But each one of these players is a university of study:

Billy Hart, Smitty Smith, Jeff Hamilton, Idris Muhammad, Bob Gullotti, Cleve Pozar, Bob Moses, Johnny Vidacovich, Butch Miles, Peter Erskine, Arghh! I hate these lists! I know I'm leaving a bunch of Greats out!

-John
Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
living?
OOPS..........reading comprehension failed me today.

Jack DeJohnette

Jeff Hamilton

Brian Blade.

Steve B
Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 PM

Sorry I have 5 :
1. Brian Blade,
2. Roy Haynes,
3. Joey Baron, Bill Stewart ex-aequo
+ Jack DeJohnette although I'm not such a big fan I have to admit he's part of the history.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
living?
LOL, my bad, sorry guys... but, Tony Williams, Buddy Rich, Joe Morello and many others are still pretty alive in the music they played and they're still a model for many jazz drummers today, does that count? :))
Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 PM

I was thinking drummers who are from the older generation... certainly others who are of the same caliber include:

Jack Dejohnette
Jimmy Cobb
Joe Chambers
Idris Muhammad
Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 AM

1. Peter Erskine
2. Greggory Hutchinson
4. Nate Smith (Dave Holland) /Jeff Hamilton
Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromesteele View Post
I love Nasheet Waits, McPherson and Jabali Billy Hart. Great list of guys who don't really get enough recognition.

I will name 3 guys in the under 35 crowd who deserve wider recognition:

1. Marcus Gilmore -

2. Dan Weiss -
Marcus Gilmore is just unreal. His approach to the drum-set is really something innovating and exciting to me. HUGE fan.

And Dan Weiss: "Always Be Closing", the track from the last trio cd with the dialogue from Glengarry Glenross blew me away the first time I heard it (continues to so) and his compositions in general are inspiring.

I wanna throw out two more younger dudes.

Tyshawn Sorey, dude is a genius. No seriously. On a different level of human existence.

Gerald Cleaver, so tasteful and elegant, yet he can get so raw and gnarly (take for instance the examples of his work with Jeremy Pelt and then Farmers By Nature w/ Craig Taborn and William Parker. Totally different situations, but an absolute musical mastery of both.)
Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
LOL, my bad, sorry guys... but, Tony Williams, Buddy Rich, Joe Morello and many others are still pretty alive in the music they played and they're still a model for many jazz drummers today, does that count? :))
good point. their recordings make them still present. and excellent choices
Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 AM
makemyown
This message has been deleted by makemyown.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Antonio Sanchez
Roy Haynes
Louis Hayes