DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-13-2013, 02:35 PM

Default DIY Franken KIT

THE PROJECTS CURENT STATE scroll down for the back ground and the build

Hi all I'm new to the forums. I have been drumming on and off for 30 years but still do not call myself a drummer ( I mainly played guitar) . I'm just a 43 year old kid banging out a beat while driving ( "mom" AKA the wife ) crazy lol. over the years I have owned many sets, The best set I have owned was a 9 piece TAMA Rockstar, but that was when I was a signle man...that being said I'm the sole supporter of a family of 4 so money is always ?????........lets say......... (somthing I heard about, but it still seems fictional as I never get to actualy see any in real life anymore.

Ok quick back ground we had child #2 and I had the itch to play again... so I had to go to electronic drums (dont wake the baby). I made a set out of PVC, practice pads, piezios and a module that was given to me, but unfortunatly I had to sell it off ( again that fictional money thing) see pic below
( PLEASE DONT LAUGH I made it for almost nothing ( Including the homemade cymbals yes. I coulnd't even afford the cheap plastic practice ones) it even folded up and could be stuck in a closet.

MY 1st DIY CHEAPY SET

So the years go by and the church needed a backup drummer,
the wife says you should do it hun, and then I was "allowed" to buy a cheap practice set for the house
CHEAP being the oprative word so I got the FAMOUS OSP set lmao.

OSP the best set of electronic drums $5 can buy. ( well thats what they should cost! ) IMHO

child #2 on them

THE NEW PLAN

I was able to get my hands on a set of old shells, somthing like the quality of
CB-700's but off brand via a trade for a drumdial tuner ...

The plan is to franken kit them together to build somthing that looks like the picture below using only this.......$20
and yes I plan on upgrading the module to somthing like a roland TDK9 but thats down the road a ways

STAY TUNED more to come

Last edited by Hotwire; 01-07-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:19 PM

Default Re: DIY Franken KIT

Hey Hotwire,

I'm wondering how your kit rebuild is progressing as I'd like to expand my shrunken DTX Multi-12 kit into some sort of Franken hybrid.
If you're interested in my setup, it's covered in a previous post: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=109337

Assuming your original frame was made from standard PVC pipe & fittings, how did you allow for the pad support arms to rotate on the legs and also secure them in their open positions?

Last edited by Hansolo; 12-21-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 AM

Looks pretty nice to me. So, based on the picture this rig stands up with just 3 legs, not 4? I'm surprised it doesn't tip over with the h-h and snare pad just floating out there.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 PM

My bad. lol

I was asking hotwire about his rig. Sorry. Although your rig is cool, too. Yeah, very compact. What do you use for software? I'm always disappointed with cymbal choices offered in those things. I just stay with my Roland td20X as a result.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansolo View Post
Hey Hotwire,

You're killing me with suspense - I've got a spare $20 and want to expand my DTX Multi-12s into some sort of Franken-hybrid kit.

If the original frame was made from standard PVC pipe & fittings, how did you allow the pad support arms to rotate on the legs and also secure them in their open positions?
I Just used a dremmel tool to route out the fittings to slide over the pvc pipe they are just held in place by compression so be careful not to over route the fitting. you could always add a set screw with the outter fitting slotted

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-19-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsinhisheart View Post
My bad. lol

I was asking hotwire about his rig. Sorry. Although your rig is cool, too. Yeah, very compact. What do you use for software? I'm always disappointed with cymbal choices offered in those things. I just stay with my Roland td20X as a result.
yeah I had no stability issues at all with 3 legs. the cymbal was just an old rubbermade tote lid melted and shaped over an old cymbal.
At the time of my 1st DIY build ( the 1st pic was an Alesis DM5)
the set Im working on now will be a combo of the OSP and the DM5 i got an old DM5 in the trade so now i have 2 modules...I plan on getting a TD-9 or somthing newer but for now the budget wont allow.

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-19-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Progress continues. I traded up again :) The old white set of shells for an Alesis DM5 and some better shells. I cut them in 1/2 ...the 2 bass drums are made from a 16" floor tom cut in 1/2...

mind you this is just sitting over the OSP set but it will give you an idea where im going with this.

As my heritage is scottish I plan on wood burnning a celtic band pattern in the drums then staining them with a greyish green.

If you happen to be Irish dont get bent outta shape...
a bit of history...
It was not until the late 18th century that the term 'Celt' came to be applied to the modern Irish, Scottish, Welsh and Breton people by European scholars.
Up until that time, none of these people ever called themselves "Celts."

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-19-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 PM

found a set of practice cymbals for $55
I have more time than money so they are going to have to wait!
with luck maybe ill stumble on some freebies.
untill then Ill just have to make my own like I did on my 1st DIY set (first pic)

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-23-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback Hotwire. I now realize why we hadn't heard from you - excuse my impatience. I like your DIY approach and can see where you're heading with the Roland model - I'm interested to see the final Franken kit. If you want some more ideas, there's a similar DIY kit project on another forum: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...are-25570.html

I've been considering making a rack frame with PVC tube & fittings to prototype my ideas and help position the multi-pad units in relation to other pads and cymbals. I'm trying to adapt your rotating support arms idea without having to modify the fittings too much - it should be possible to add an extra inner tube to each leg that's a firm fit.

Last edited by Hansolo; 12-21-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsinhisheart View Post

What do you use for software? I'm always disappointed with cymbal choices offered in those things. I just stay with my Roland td20X as a result.
I removed my previous response as it wasn't relevant to your original query.
Regarding the Multi-12 cymbal sounds, there are enough realistic sounding ones available that can be customized and combined on the 4-layer pads - the challenge has been to improve on the preset kits without needing extra wave samples or external software kits. I mainly use the laptop with Cubase and for backing tracks.

Last edited by Hansolo; 12-21-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:48 PM

MORE PROGRESS

As you can see the large toms dont fit on the rack. I hope to get the 1.5 inch conduit today to rebuild the rack to the size I need.
I plan on getting my window screen ( to make my mesh heads) and wood strips to mount the peizios on tonight as well, God and the wife willing I hope to make alot of progress this weekend.

I'm also having concerns that woodburning a celtic band into the toms might make the set look to busy with the hardware and all.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:39 PM

PROGRESS

well despite my fears I did the celtic woodburning. The first coat of stain is applied still needs a few more coats and then clearcoat on them. The new rack is starting to come together. The 1.5" EMT conduit is a bit bigger than rack pipe so be carefull not to crack plastic clamp like I did ...

The bass heads were clear and I drew a pattern of a celtic cross with wings on the inside and then did a light coat of white over it.

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-26-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Gold Member

Looks good Hotwire ...................better than most e-kits
Old 12-23-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
Looks good Hotwire ...................better than most e-kits
TY for the kind words! To me it still looks like crap but I think the end result will look alot better I have so much more sanding and staining to do , the hardware and heads installed ect. ect. but progress is moving a bit faster than I thought.
Not to mention the budget I have of $20 is going fast. and I'm not really a drummer

EMT electric counduit for rack expansion $10
window screen for mesh heads $6
white paint for the bass head decals $1.50

gonna have to go over budget a bit for jacks, piezios and wood firring strips to span the shells for piezio mounts....shhhh dont tell the wife LOL

I thought about taking the jacks and piezios outt of the OPS heads but I think I will use them for octopads or a cowbell....

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-23-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:04 PM

I think I may just paint this flat or simi gloss back
Old 12-27-2013, 03:11 PM

I know a double bass pedal with 2 basses...its just a mock up
Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Well I painted it black and had a good weekend, Went over budget by $29. the 1st screen I bought was a bit to weak so I got the pet grade. + the wood strips to span the shell for the peizio and 2 cans of flat black paint.
The bass was the biggest challange, I had to raise it up off the floor to center the beaters. This was done by taking the base plate off the OSP kick pad and then I used a 2X4
on its side and bolted the bass to that. I also added 2 floor tom mounts but it still would shake to much so I added the back legs off the OSP kickpad to the back of my DIY bass.
the wiring will be cleand up and orginized. I also mounted a phone holder so I could play along with the toons on my phone.
I hope to get a practice symbal pack within a month or two but at least I can knock out a beat!

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-30-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 PM

Hey Hotwire - I'm impressed with the DIY project so far - thanks for sharing your ideas.
I'm curious about your 'pet-grade' mesh head assembly and how you've mounted it for even tension and good stick rebound - can you include a pic of how you've secured the mesh?
I've got an acoustic snare drum that I'd like to convert to mesh and add piezo trigger sensors.
Are the pad mounting clamps your original OSP ones or have you adapted some other type?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:29 PM

What I did was cut the mylar head off the original hoop. layed the hoop on the screen and cut the screen big enough to wrap almost around the edge of the hoop. then I simply stiched it. you can use anything as long as its strong, like apolstry thread fishing line... I used suture (I work in a hospital). As far as tension it works the same as a mylar head. Mind you im not realy a drummer but have toyed with drums for 30 years but IMHO it's about as close as I have ever came to the feel of a real head but its not as quiet as a Roland mesh head ...you still get a bit of "POP"

For the peizio if you notice the piece of wood that spans the shell I simply mounted the peizo to that, after some experminting I found if you place a thin foam base on the wood put the peizio on that and then place the cone on the peizio you get phenomanal response with no cross talk. I made my cone out of foam that surgeons stick the needles in after they break them off the suture. Its thicker but kind of reminds me of neopreem in the way the foam feels and responds. I just finished the last head last night and plan on mounting the peizo tonight and will take some photos of the DIY mesh head, mount and cone assembly. Here is a pic from over head that you might be able to see it. but I will post more.

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-31-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Hey Hotwire - I'm impressed with the DIY project so far - thanks for sharing your ideas.
I'm curious about your 'pet-grade' mesh head assembly and how you've mounted it for even tension and good stick rebound - can you include a pic of how you've secured the mesh?
I've got an acoustic snare drum that I'd like to convert to mesh and add piezo trigger sensors.
Are the pad mounting clamps your original OSP ones or have you adapted some other type?

If you are going to DIY a trigger, the easiest Way I can think of is mount the peizio to the tone control pad. (if your snare has one) then mount a cone on the Peizio and you have a built in cone adjustment :)
radio shack will have all you need

Now just drill a hole in the side of the snare for mounting a mono jack for you cable
The screen is the expensive part $15 at Home Depot. The jack and peizio should be around $5

The down side to this method is you want it more responsive the closer to the center, but they do make side mount triggers i just preffer my trigger to be just a bit off center to prevent hot spotting......HOLY CRAP listen to me I sound like a drummer lol

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-31-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Well kind of...The rack clamps are the same but I used the leg mounts from floor toms to adapt the shells to work with the rack clamps
I even saved some jacks and peizios out of the old set and had to replace some peizios with radioshack ones

Old 01-02-2014, 01:29 PM

More progress :)

Old 01-07-2014, 03:19 PM

well my DIY Cymbals are done and will work untill I can get the practice set and MOD them. They are made from plastic containers like rubbermaid cut into a circle. I then put them in the oven until they are almost ready to melt and then sandwich them between 2 real cymbals to form them , let em cool, a coat of gold paint and some peizios and this is whet ya get.