DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-12-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Electronic Kick Drum Flamming? Over Sensitive?

Hi All,

After recently moving over to electronic drums, I have an issue with my kick pad. When I hit the kick drum, it flams. It is as though the pad is over sensitive? Has anyone has this issue or can think of a fix?

I'm playing a Millennium MPS250 from Thomann, which is triggering Steven Slate drums sample library in Protools.

Hope someone can help as it's driving me crazy!

Thank you in advance !
Old 02-12-2015, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Electronic Kick Drum Flamming? Over Sensitive?

Never used that model before but i'll give you some advice.
The issue I THINK your having is called double triggering. and it drives me crazy. I had a trigger mess up at a show once and it sucked

First, take off the vst and use the module it comes with, does it do the same thing?

if it does it could be a few things

sensitivity, possibly.. you want to have to hit the drum to set it off. not tap it.. not hammer it.. but you don't want it too sensitive to go off if you hit another pad or sneeze.

next.. their should be a retrig, rescan, or setting along those.. this is the minimum time between 2 hits... I'd turn this up a touch to avoid double triggering.

now... this is going to sound stupid but I've had it happen to me.

are you resting your left beater (if you use a double) when you hit the right it could bounce off and tap the drum ever so slightly. this can cause a PSUDO double trigger (technique really matters with drum triggers)

lastly when you hit your right pedal is it bounceing and giving the pad a little secondary tap. I've had this happen too. this is fixed with pedal spring tension usually. try hitting the pad and letting the beater bounce back fast and see what happens.

Those are just a few things it could be.. but you need to find out WHY its happening before we can fix it.

I just said to remove the vst because that can be a whole other can of worms we can deal with after :P
Old 02-12-2015, 07:07 PM

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write such detailed reply !!

I say that I don't use a double pedal, and I've been trying to make sure the beater comes straight back off the pad.

As to the other suggestions, I haven't been able to try these yet. I certainly shall though, and get back to you tomorrow. The pedal tension sounds like it could be a good starting place... Hadn't thought of that one! The module is rather basic to say the least so haven't seen a rescan/calibration option. I'll flick through the manual though and just make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks again for your help! It is much appreciated!

George
Old 02-13-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
Never used that model before but i'll give you some advice.
The issue I THINK your having is called double triggering. and it drives me crazy. I had a trigger mess up at a show once and it sucked

First, take off the vst and use the module it comes with, does it do the same thing?

if it does it could be a few things

sensitivity, possibly.. you want to have to hit the drum to set it off. not tap it.. not hammer it.. but you don't want it too sensitive to go off if you hit another pad or sneeze.

next.. their should be a retrig, rescan, or setting along those.. this is the minimum time between 2 hits... I'd turn this up a touch to avoid double triggering.

now... this is going to sound stupid but I've had it happen to me.

are you resting your left beater (if you use a double) when you hit the right it could bounce off and tap the drum ever so slightly. this can cause a PSUDO double trigger (technique really matters with drum triggers)

lastly when you hit your right pedal is it bounceing and giving the pad a little secondary tap. I've had this happen too. this is fixed with pedal spring tension usually. try hitting the pad and letting the beater bounce back fast and see what happens.

Those are just a few things it could be.. but you need to find out WHY its happening before we can fix it.

I just said to remove the vst because that can be a whole other can of worms we can deal with after :P
Hey!

I've been playing today and I can confirm the module is double triggering also. I've had a look for a sensitivity type setting and can't fine one, the module is very basic.

Following this I have adjusted my pedal spring tension and even at it's tightest the kick still double triggers. I'm a bit stuck for ideas now...

What do you think?

Thank you !