DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-18-2014, 06:33 PM

Default 1 overhead?

i am going to make a small jazzette sized acrylic kit with two toms, bass and snare, i have 4 spaces on my interface, i don't usually mic the toms but because its a small kit i thought i would be able too. If i miced the two toms with a pre amp for them (to act as a sort of splitter), the kick and snare, would i be able to use just one overhead to capture the cymbals or should i just drop the tom micing and just use two overheads, kick and snare?

thanks
Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 1 overhead?

One overhead is fine. I do it frequently when I mic my 6 piece kit because I don't have enough channels.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

When you mic a kit with one overhead, you have decided that the drums mix with be essentially mono. You can pan the toms left and right, of course, but the cymbals, snare, and kick, which are usually the bulk of the drum track, will be in a single stereo position in the mix: right, left, or center.

With stereo overheads, you can pan each signal, and create a drum mix with more realism and a wider stereo field. For example, the snare will remain center, but the cymbals will be present to one side, depending on the kit's set up. The position of the floor tom will be to one side as well.

Getting the cymbals (and floor tom) to the sides of the mix is generally good because other elements of the mix won't be so crowded. Kick, bass, and vocals generally inhabit the center position in a mix. The less crowded that part of the mix is, the more clarity in your mix.

However, you might want to take a more artistic approach. James Brown and The Beatles panned their mixes in unusual ways, and to great effect, and many Motown recordings are entirely mono, but these are vintage approaches. The best thing to do is decide what artists your ensemble wishes to sound like, and listen critically to their recordings. Try to figure out why certain elements are panned the way they are. For a more modern sound, in general, if you want the vocal track to maintain clarity within a dense mix, then pan the guitars, keys, percussion, toms, and overheads to the sides. You can pan a mono overhead track to one side, but you risk throwing off the "balance" of your mix.

Really, though, and 8 channel USB interface isn't so expensive anymore. If you can possibly save for one, do it, so you'll have more flexibility down the road.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

I use one overhead, snare and bass drum mic for 80% of my gigs. Small to Medium rooms. Sounds great! Denis
Old 01-19-2014, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member

This was recorded with one overhead sm57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvisHyh9jIg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
look at me, look at me...look what I do